Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

JohnJJohn Posts: 964
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Depression and Coping

We all arrive here with differing experience and views, along our own personal journey of pain; it is understandable that at times we feel less hopeful about the future or how much impact our condition will have.

These are a natural thought process as we adapt to this new life and deal with the daily issues of not being able to do what we once did. Looking longingly into the past for us may bring back how much we miss, rather than what we have achieved. The achievements of the past are not a mirror into the future and do not reflect what we are now able to do with restrictive function and limitations.

Dwelling on the past too much is using energy that could be used in a more productive aspect, it takes equal measure to look at things negatively as positively.

I too had moments of depression where I looked too far into the future and designed an unrealistic notion of what might happen, in allowing the what if fairy to cloud my judgement. It was a self perpetuating outlook, the more negatively I approached aspects the more frustrated and disjointed I became. My opinion is that this is just a phase that we all go through, the danger is in becoming a person who is more negative than they need be, in action and words. In reality as my well-being improved, so did my assessment of my own future, although my limitations are still with me I view them differently than I did, I have moved on.

We all have pride and emotional attachment to what we used to be, and letting go and living with what is left never easy, our survival is in the future ahead of us, not in the past or marking time while reminiscing.

We are all holding hands together marching to new opportunities.

Take care John.

• :D :D :D

Did you post that just for me (LOL!)? I've been bummed out lately about my inability to go back to work and provide financially for myself. Also have felt shameful and guilty about my inability to help my sister care for our aging mother, who is having some health problems. I start the "What if" thinking about something happening to my sister (God forbid) and how would I take care of my mom if I can't take care of myself.

So, your post is much needed as I try to remind myself to take it one day at a time and not project too far into the future are it's overwhelming.

Take care,

• Excellent post John. Negativity can create even more pain than what we are already in, it's so important to be positive, as hard as it may be.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I so enjoy reading your posts. My last job was working as a nurse with mentally ill adolescents. We always tried to stress the positive side of life, so hard for some adolescents to fathom. Thank you.

• The author of the article in the link - his first name is John.

Nice post - it's always a good time for an uplifting and throughtful post.

• Cath,
    We should not be too harsh on ourselves when this phase develops and for the most part we have been dealing with chronic pain for some considerable time in isolation and the confusion of what to do next.

We are already our own harshest critics, and we do try every day to give the best of ourselves in difficult and restrictive circumstance.

Kelly makes a good point in that it can make the pain seem more and could you tell us how that process would be for you.

Take care all and be kind to yourself. John