Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

B12 Deficiency

backpainishellbbackpainishell Posts: 969
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
I am the kind of person who enjoys good home made cooking :) , theres nothing better than fresh vegtables :D , i do eat meat but not alot :& , as i have never been a lover of it :S . I eat eggs in many forms love them! :))) milk is ok as long as its not full fat :sick: . All this fussy eating did not occur (except for the meat) until a few months after the operation :S . Anyway my family doctor is quite good :D , because of all the medication i am on now :SS , she sees me every month for a medication review :B , and she takes regular blood from me about every 3 months :''( , anyway the last test i had came back and said i have B12 deficiency :O . So i said to the doctor ok i will get some from the supermarket, she told me its no so simple as that :( . Cuttng a long story short, i have to , have 6 injections of this B12 over a space of 2 weeks :''( :''( , then a blood test :SS :''( , she said the level is quite low :? , so every 3 months possibly for life i would have to have a B12 injection :( all the time she was going through this i was thinking ~X( , why me!! somthing else!! ~X( ). I have been told my body is inflamed and not absorbing this vitamin :? , but its a vitamin we all need :S .B12 is crucial for creating red blood cells, which carries oxygen to different organs :| we also need b12 to carry oxgen to the nervous system :| . i was wondering if anyone else has this problem? :)))

Angie xx :) >:D<

• :? anyone else have this problem, who has nerve damage? :S

Angie :H

• Hi Angie,

I don't have this problem, found this link which gives a lot of info on the condition:

Hope it helps.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    J.J.grey told me about these a long time ago. They work good! Gives me much more energy. Order online Wonder Laboratories. Advanced B-12 sublingual including b-6, folic acid & biotin. Take 2 a day & put under tongue. (they'll try to sell you everything under the sun) But that's all I buy!
    Good luck, Jim
    P.S. no offence but too many smileys, Hard to read.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hiya >:D< , Thankyou for your replies :) . The B12 that i need, has to be in injection form, and there are 6 1000micrograms injections and they have to be given by the doctor over a space of 2 weeks :? . I said to the doctor that i would buy some from the supermarket, but she , said no, because they are not strong enough :/ , and my level is right down, and need this to get into my system quickly :O All this is all new to me :S .

Angie :H xx
  • I have B12 deficiency, and you definitely need to listen to your doctor. I took 1000mcg every day for a week, then every other day for a week, and now once a week for life. It is not something that you can take for a short period of time, and then suddenly not need it anymore. B12 is constantly being depleted. Another important point to know; once you take these injections, the normal B12 lab value will be skewed and always appear very high.
    The appropriate lab to test is a methymalonic acid test. It is the ONLY test that is accurate when supplementing with B12 injections. Check out this imformation on the American Association for Family Physicians. They have spot-on guidelines for treating B12.

Good luck,

• Hiya Lisa :D , thankyou for your reply >:D< I have to have 3 more injections this week, then on friday im to have ablood test :S she said then im to have the injections every 3 months for life :( . I have read some information about the B12 deficeincy, and i did not realise how important it is to have this vitamin :O . I am from england , im not sure if they do things differently here :S . Its so nice to know there are others out there who have this problem :)

Angie >:D< :H
  • Hiya, sorry about the smileys :SS Any way thankyou for your reply. Did you find out from your doctor that you have the deficeincy :/ I do know just like any others tablets, that you can take too much of any vitamin :? Do you have to take them for life? :/

This is to anyone, does anyone actually know the causes of this? :?

Angie >:D< :H xx
  • I'm sorry you need to get the injection from now on every 3 months. My cousin had vitamin B12 deficiency and had to get the same treatment. So I get mine checked every year with my physical. Off hand I don't have the medical reasons as there's so much available info online and can't remember too much of the causes right now not being active in Nursing due to my back injury and meds @) Something to do with intrinsic factor or something and not being able to absorb it naturally by food in your gut so you need the injections. I'm sure you're going to feel a whole lot better once you're levels are back to normal with the injections. Keep us posted and take care. >:D< Charry
    PS My Great GrandMother passed away in England of pernicious anemia before my GrandMother came over to Canada with her siblings and her Father to settle here. She was only 44 yrs old. Thanks God they have a treatment available now.

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am so sorry that there was not treatment for your grandmother >:D< , is this a kind of new thing then? :? I had never heard about this before and what it can do without treatment :O , its scary, i also have to have an ultrasound scan on my stomach :( (my aunt has crohans and my daughter has IBS) :( . Just hard to deal with all this as well as all the back and neck and joint pain :''( . Thankyou for replying >:D< .

Sorry if there are too many smileys, its like a signature mark for me, ive always done them . :)
  • My Grandma had the B12 injections for several yrs before she passed.
    She always looked forward to her injections. Said she could get a lot more done around the house the first few days after wards lol ;)

Hope these help you as they did her :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I'm glad I read your reference pfd. I hadn't realised long term use of omeprazole could affect my ability to absorb B12. I'm on it to keep my gall bladder under control - I don't need that surgery while I'm stuck with my back problems. Definitely something to chat to my GP about.

Angie sorry to hear you need injections on top of your back. Hopefully your scan doesn't find anything as well. Good luck
  • I know you'll feel better with the injections afterwards. You'll have more energy afterwards just like Beth's Grandma did and also my cousin who got them too. Take care friend. >:D< Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have been on B12 injections for over a year now. I have an open prescription which costs me about $7 a bottle. A bottle contains about 7 injections. My husband gives me a weekly shot. It is important to give it in the muscle of the arm for good absorption. Whenever I am cranky the first thing he says is "did we give you your shot this week?"

There are many reasons for low levels. Age and alcohol consumption can inhibit your ability to absorb it properly.

I have seen reduced levels of my chronic pain for the past year. Not sure if it is the B12 or D3 though. I was also very low in vitamin D. I take it 3 times a day and try to expose my arms to the sun for 20 minutes a day when I walk.

Hubby just went to the Dr. yesterday and he has very low levels of D3 also.

Do a Google search on vitamin D3 deficiency. It's amazing how many problems are caused by this. My Dr. includes testing all vitamin levels with routine blood work because he sees so many with low levels.
  • I used to get these when I was on a doctor supervised weight loss program. They sure helped with my energy levels. If you take the pill form it absorbs better if it is sublingual (dissolve under the tongue) but nothing is as good as the injections.
  • You did remember that! I just responded above about the same thing. Are you still using those with good results?
  • I hope that you see my reply above. I did not realise that this post had so many replies or I would have put it down here.
  • Thankyou for your reply :D Thats interesting what you have just said because i have been on omprezole about 2 yrs or more now :? :H

Angie >:D<
  • Hiya :D , when i first put this post out i didnt really know that much about it, and what this can do. Its amazing how many people have this deficiency :? .

• My daughter who is 5 months pregnant , has had the blood test, and she has it :( , they have done the second test, too find out where its coming from :? . Anyone know anything about B12 deficiency in pregnancy????

Angie >:D<
  • I had gastric bypass surgery two and a half years ago and it is very common for weight loss surgery patients to have a B12 deficiency (we have malabsorption problems with all sorts of vitamins). At any rate, I give myself a B12 injection once a month. No big deal, really. The needles are like the ones used for insulin and I generally just inject it into my little (?) fat pad above my waist band or reach around and stick it into the top of my tush. B12 deficiency can lead to all sort of neurological problems, so do keep on it.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Look into gluten intolerance and B12 deficiency. There is a significant link between the two. Treating B12 def. with injections is imperative for you health, but it is still just a bandaid for the potential underlying problem; which always, always needs to be diagnosed and treated.

• Hiya >:D< Thankyou linda and lisa for your replys, well i am still waiting results of the antibodies test :W , and i have an ultrasound on my stomach tomorrow :? , then i see the doctor again in 10 days, so i hope to know where its coming from :SS . my daughter has tested positive for the B12 but shes pregnant, so we dont know how the doctor will treat her :/ . Really dont need this with all the back pain too :''( .

Angie xx :H
  • Normally I ignore posts by people who fill them with emoticons. You really don't need that many to make a simple point. Anyway...

I agree with sleeprgirl. You still need to find out what the real problem is. I had several blood tests. 1 showed low B12. So I got a shot of B12 and some Folic Acid tabs to stick under my tongue and absorb. The doc told me to just pick up some B12-1000mg and Folic Acid-400mg at the health food store. Take them daily along with my regular vitamins. See if I felt a difference. It barely helped how I felt but my blood test looked much better.

The problem had to do with nerve pain, depression, and reduced testosterone. My urologist found the reduced testosterone and we tried some androgel for a month as a test. My energy level increased within a week. I was borderline on that test. Your regular doc will probably never test for it. This is, of course for men. Point being there was a real problem that was addressable. Since then I have resolved much of the depression. Also just got done surgery. I feel tired because of the pain killers. Other than that. I no longer get any value taking extra B12 and my blood test says so too.

Oh and here is 1 smiley for you :-)

• I too have been doing b-12 injections for about 2 years now, and they taught me to give injections to myself, that way i was not having to depend on others to inject me. For me it is no big deal. Also in the last few months i have found out i was very low in vitamin D, so now i take that once a week, and Folic acid has been about a year or so. All just part of what i need.
    I really feel no better from my shots. I know many do, wish i was one, but those are the cards i have been dealt. There could be worse things to have so i count my blessings really.

• To pjd: thanks for the article on B12 - it was really informative; it also confirmed what JJ, Graham and others said. However, for the oral route to be as effective as intramuscular, they (article) suggest you start with 2000 micrograms B12 daily, then reduce it to 1000 micrograms daily, then 1000 micrograms weekly and finally, monthly. I couldn't work out why they suggest reducing the dose; surely, if you're deficient, you're deficient!

Vitamins B & C are water-soluble and as such, are excreted by the body every day, so have to be replenished on a daily basis. The other vitamins are retained.

• Hi Angie,

I was diagnosed with a B12 dificency. My level was down to 100 and it should be around 500-600. My doctor put me on B12 pills 1200mg once per day. My test was redone 2 months later and my level was back up to 329. So now I am on B12 pills for the rest of my life my doctor told me. It can cause anemia if you do not have enough B12 in your system so you want to stay on top of it. I have noticed a bit of a difference since taking it regularly but I have issues with my bowels anyways so that is what started the problem. All these meds we take do not help the situation. As for your daughter I do not see why she can't at least take the pills while she is pregnant. Ask the doctor about that one. As I have read very rarely can someone be over on their B12 level so it does not hurt to take too much of B12. B12 is not like the other vitamins so my research has shown me. Your best bet is to ask your doctor all these questions. Good luck and I hope your level is up.

• Yes, I agree with Candy, because neither vits B nor C are retained by the body, therefore any excess is excreted on a daily basis via the kidneys. This is because they are water-soluble whilst the others are fat-soluble, meaning they are retained and stored within the body.

Overdose of these can cause an unwanted build-up and depending on the amount taken, can produce unwanted and ofttimes dangerous side-effects. However, do check with your doctor about this.

Good luck!
  • Hiya Candy and Val, B12 defficiency is a complicated one or can be, i have to go and see a blood doctor and find out where this is coming from. We need b12 , this helps to produce the red cells, which then carry oxygen to our vital organs, so this is important for us to have enough B12 floating around, so i think thats why it does not hurt us if we are a little over. i have noticed not just the sleepiness, but they dryness of my skin, i do not have the next injection until febuary , but feel like i could do with it now. So how are all you B12 buddies feeling??? HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL Xxxxxxxxxxxx

Angie xx
This discussion has been closed.