Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 days post-op having a rough day

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Finally home from the hospital surgery was on Tuesday (November 3rd). I did have some complications but I am glad to be realease from the hospital. But it was a rough evening. I am very young only in my early 20's and coming home to do nothing but walk and lay down in really hard for me. I just want my life to be the way it was before I injured myself. I know soon enough it will be better but it is still really hard. Thanks for listening/reading.

• I know what you are feeling. I have had three back surgerys in the last 9 years. I have always worked manual labored jobs and barely ever didnt do anything for one day. I havent working in since aug 2 and am going insane. I have found out that getting a real hard playstaion game or watching new release movies keeps my mind off of it. also court tv during the day, due to the funny stuff people say and sue for on tv. it makes a depressed man laugh.
    Stay strong.
  • to listen and support you. It is normal to suffer some depression after surgery. I hope that your recovery gors smoothly and you feel better soon.
  • I am sorry this has happened to you.

I hope your recovery goes well :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I bet you're glad your surgery is over and I can understand how you're feeling now because I'm in recovery mode too. However, I'm not in my twenties but I was restless at your age.

I have my two Labradors for company and friends call in from time to time. I spend most of my time alternating between resting in bed watching the TV and walking up and down the patio. I've had to work on my attitude and be content with what I can do.

Do you have friends calling in? Do take your meds on time to help you with your pain. Try and think what your future will be once you're healed and and able to do so much without pain. If you take care with no bending, lifting, twisting, you should heal well.

Hoping your recovery goes well.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I had my surgery on the same day as you! We are surgery date-twins!

I'm in rough shape as well. I'm also in my 20's and having a really hard time with all of this. Feel free to send me a private message if you want to vent or talk.
  • Not sure if this counts but I'm an extremely active 40 year old. I had my surgery 3 months ago and before and after was brutal to not be able to do much. Sure, I took it in stride the 1st week but by week 2, I found I had to stop myself from doing things I was told not to do.

We are all here for ya. I'm sorry you had to go through this at a young age but the positive note is that if you listen to doctors instructions, you should do well.

Luckily my dog didn't leave my side until week 3. I figured I must be doing better (or she was getting sick of me) b/c she went off and would do her own thing. I had my husband to go for "walks" with me and then tried to make the best of it by reading and enjoying crazy youtube videos.
  • Thank you everyone for you great thoughts and support. Today was a little better. I got to go walk outside a few times it is almost 60 degrees here(MN) so I had to take advantage of it. I know that now I need to make sure that I listen to the doctor and it will be a long process but worth it in the end. Thanks again
  • no matter what the age. I'm 55, and some days I feel like I'm 95. Of course, I just had my 30-year anniversary at my workplace yesterday and, when someone said "30 years? You just have started here when you were a kid!" I said - can't be 30 years, cuz I'm only 29! In my head I'm still young, it's just this crumbling body that's the problem. The good news is, you ARE young, you'll heal better than us old farts, and you'll have more good years to look forward to. I know I'm a lot better than pre-surgery, but man -- I'd give anything to take the last 2-3 years back and get a do-over!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I am 4 weeks post surgery today and as each day passes I am feeling more and more happier. I hate being at home all day on my own and have made sure my friends and family pop by. It isn't forever and these 4 weeks have actually flown past.

I try to walk every day (regardless of the weather outside), a bit of fresh air really lifts your mood. The walking strengthens your body, even if it is only for 5-10mins a day, it seemed to help with my post op pain.

I walk about 3 miles a day to take my little girl to school and then come home and sleep for a couple of hours. Then I have loads of exercises to do throughout the rest of the day. I potter around the house doing little jobs and then read and watch tv.

You will feel a bit low (anaethestic is known to make you feel like that), but as each day passes, life will get better. Make sure you listen to your body though...don't do too much too soon! Good luck!
  • I had 360 fusion a little over a month ago.My NS said,"no bending, twisting, or lifting anything over five lbs, no sitting for longer than 2o minutes, 3 times a day, the rest of the time I was to be walking or laying down". Boring! It was 3 weeks before he gave the okay to drive short trips. It was wonderful just to get out of the house. Listen to your Dr and your body, you will get stronger every day and gradually get back to a near normal life. You have to remember you will never be as good as God made you in the beginning, but live goes on, enjoy the trip! Praying for a speedy recovery. God Bless!

Philippians 4:13- I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.