Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Intimacy after Microdiscectomy Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Lower Back Pain

I just had surgery on my L5 S1 for a ruptured herniated disc. The procedure went really well and I am just trying to find out what people recommend on how long to wait to resume intercourse? Any information would help me. I tried a Google search with no luck.

• It has been 2wks since surgery. Thanks
  • your post op instructions? As far as being able to resume normal activity? The normal rule of thumb is if it hurts don't do it. But your post op instructions should give you some clue. Do not be embarrased to call your Dr office and ask that question if you are unclear. I feel sure that this is a fairly common question that the Drs answer quite often.
  • Hi & welcome to the boards :)

I can't answer this for you ( sorry ) as I have not had surgery. Hopefully someone else can.

I would think that your Dr should have included this on the list of allowed or not allowed activities :??
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • My surgeon had that on his list. My husband and I have laughed about it. It said I could have sex as long as i was the "passive partner" after a couple of weeks. You can't lift or bend for 6 weeks but you can have sex?

Talking to your doctor is the best plan and then listen to your body. I couldn't handle sex after 2 weeks. It took me a lot longer than that.

Good luck
  • I was told 4 weeks as long as I was the "passive partner", but I was no way ready by then
  • by your screen name but forgive me if i am wrong..as a male thats had the same operation ..and more i was UNABLE to have sex again because of nerve damage .its been 2 years + since i have has sex .and now its not even on the menu ! as i am unable to obtain an erection and even if i was i could not enjoy sex due to pain .if you are male be very careful as one night of passion could leave you in the same boat as me .
  • Thanks for all of your responses. I am female, sorry I didn't post that earlier. I wasn't really given and post op instructions other than I can't lift anything over 5 lbs and I can't bend or twist or anything like that. I'm honestly a little frusrated at my surgeon's office. The whole thing for me happened so fast. I went from having symptoms 22 months ago to me not even being able to walk just 4 weeks ago. I was scheduled for a surgery as soon as the doctor could get me in which should have been Nov 17th. I was not even able to walk and I was in severe pain so I told the surgeons office to either get me in or I was going into the ER. Long story short I had my surgery Oct 28th and honestly wasnt given anything other than the hospitals post op instructions. I had my 2wk post op visit and I didnt even think of asking my doctor this question. Ugh... I will have to call his office. Thanks for your help
  • If you have general or vague post op instructions---call your surgeons nurse and ask a bunch of questions. My surgeons nurse tells me to call her if I have any type of questions regarding exercise. Also, since every one is different, my doc recommended "no strenuous activity" until my second checkup and then I must wear all my football gear (as my kids call it).

I did ask Rachel--(nurse) if they get a lot of these questions--She did say that depending on how active the exercise depends on the wait. So it would really benefit to check with your doc, would hate to read that you had to have this done all over again or had complications because of it.
  • This is when you should be told everything you need for the next few weeks. The 1st 2 weeks you are typically told no bend, lift, twist.

Sex and other activities become very dependent on the patient. Some recover quicker and have an easier time. Some don't get bad spasms from orgasm. Others get terrible spasms. It is not just about bending your back to perform the act. Usually they tell you spooning is the easiest approach whether male or female.

After my microdiscectomy 2 years. heh, I won't really tell you how long I waited. This time after AxiaLIF fusion. I'm 2 weeks out and have no real desire to try it right now.

If you haven't done your 2 week visit. Then write a set of questions, not just sex. If you look in the Back Surgery section I believe there is a "Sticky" or "FAQ" up there with a laundry list of questions. Cut and paste the ones that relate to you.
  • 2 weeks post op and I wasn't told not to bed down!?!?! Panicking now incase I've knackered the job ..... As have some discomfort on both sides.... Can anyone please advise
  • Where are your hospital discharge instructions from the nurses/doctor? In those papers, there are usually a series of post op restrictions and instructions, regarding activity levels, things to do and not do, and of course, medication instructions.If you can not locate them, call your surgeon's office and ask.
  • My husband was very gentle and we pulled it off after 2 weeks and did it regularly since then. I now use his sex to adjust my back rather than going to a chiropractor, He can actually push bones back in place
    and I am of pain in more ways than one.
  • after having spine surgery is dangerous. Adjustments should not be done on a spine that has had previous surgery.
This discussion has been closed.