Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

has anybody experienced inflammation from bone morphogenic protein

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Going on 2 weeks now, Ive been dealing with excruciating pain. On Oct 6th had spinal fusion & a laminectomy at L5-S1. Generally everything went great outside developing pulminory embolii one week after i was home - but thats another story.

Up until 2 weeks ago (at home)I would wake up log roll out of bed like 2nd nature. sit at the end of the bed for a sec., get my stability and stand up. No Problem. Then all of a sudden two days ago I found that stability in my mid-section almost non existent. Rolling to the end of the bed was just like my 3rd day after surgery (pure hell) trying to get myself to sit up was, again utter hell. walking all of a sudden, I felt so unstable that i would be grabbing for the walls or whatever was closest.

Again, mind you, 3 weeks ago, I would get dressed by myself, head outside for a neighborhood walk slowly albiet stable and with confidence.

Finally when I had an apt with my surgeon he ordered ct scans, x-rays & blood work. X-rays showed hardware was in place and no G.I/gas problems that could cause pressure But on the CT scan he did mention that he sensed inflammation from the bmp (bone morphogenic protein) that they used to spur bone growth & fusion. He mentioned something that I didnt catch fully which was this happens in 5% of people who go through this.

The next day the blood work confirmed irritation either from the bmp or a deep infection. The blood test couldnt be that specific.

My question is has anybody else ever experienced this? if so how long did the inflammation last?

One question I have to ask the doctor is what is causing this inflammation and what can I do to minimize it.

Any ideas or comments would be reallly appreciated considering that this has totally stifled what was seemingly a stellar recovery

Thanks in advance,
Mark

ps you can read my post re; the same subject previous to my dr's visit at
here
advertisement

Comments

• Are they sure it's inflammation from the BMP or could it be a deep infection? I'd say an infection would be more common. Are they doing anything to rule that out? I do know that there can be side effects to BMP, but as far as I know, I haven't had any of them. They used BMP mixed with my own bone marrow to sort of spackle everything together when my surgery was nearly complete. So far, I'm fusing well. I go back for my one year check up on Tuesday. Good thing too because I have a wicked pain in the butt that is nearly driving me out of my mind. I don't need sciatica again!

I hope they can figure out what's going on, but I'd sure want to rule out an infection first. That can really play havoc with your recovery.

Linda
    '
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.