Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

To noseovertail

laughnsmilellaughnsmile Posts: 60
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

You may have posted this and I overlooked it,but I was
wondering how long your surgery was, how long you were in recovery, how long your hospital stay was and before surgery
what you were told would be the amount of time in hospital.

As you know, I'm having the same surgery Thursday. I'm
told only overnight in hospital. Were you getting around
OK the second day? Thanks much

• I have a question: how are you feeling by now? I know you had a really rough time at the beginning....now you are about three weeks out, right?
  • I'm almost a month out, Dec. 3rd will be my 1-month-aversary. Time flies! I'm feeling decent enough. I'm still a little sore in my lower back. I still have terrible nerve pain in my right leg (from knee to ankle). I can't stand for more than a few minutes without it kicking in. The nerve pain is the most frustrating, but it does go away while I'm walking or laying down, so for that I am grateful. Basically I'm just hanging in there until my post-op check up with my surgeon which isn't for another 2 weeks. *sigh*

thanks for asking. i am getting better, just slowly. :)
  • Okay let's see..

My surgery took about an hour and a half, I believe. I was in the recovery room for quite a while though, my family ended up waiting about 5 hours for me to get out of there. I don't remember much from being in there, just bits and pieces of opening my eyes, telling them I was in pain, and that's it. I don't remember the actual pain or anything though.

I was in the hospital for 3 days. My surgeon told me I would be in the hospital for about 2-3 days. They had me up and walking the day after my surgery, I believe. I had no issues with physical therapy at all, I was even able to walk up stairs no problem. The physical therapist was ready to send me home on day 2, but the occupational therapist wanted me to stay one more day. The only thing I had trouble doing was getting up from the toilet, since I did not have a riser, and getting up from the bed. I HIGHLY suggest buying a toilet seat riser for your home.

I'm surprised they are so certain about sending you home the next day. Make sure you are vocal about if you're in pain or if something just feels 'off'. The squeaky wheel really does get the grease.

I will be thinking of you, if you have any more questions do not hesitate to ask me.