Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fentanyl 25mcg Anyone taking it? I need advice!

Laurie AnnLLaurie Ann Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:39 AM in Pain Medications
I was prescribed Fentanyl 25 mcg! I'm a little nervous to take it because of all the negative things said about it. I have been in alot of back pain since my Lumbar surgery.
I would love some feedback from people who take it!
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Laurie Ann,
    I have been using the Fentanyl 25mcg patch for about 2 months now. I started at 12mcg for about a month and then went up to 25. I am not sure what negative things you have heard. I know everyone is different when it comes to reactions to drugs, but it works well for me. I am still able to take narcotic pain killer if needed for break through pain if necessary. The only thing I found is that it didn't seem to control my pain well on the third day so my doctor has me changing it evey 48 hours instead of 72. I also found it works best for me, stays put best, and has the least side effects if I wear it on my stomach.

Hope this helps.
  • I used to be 100mcg every 2 days of the Fentanyl patches and I tolerated it really well. When I started on them at 25mcg, I did have side effects like headache, nausea, vomiting, and dizziness. Then I found out that I didn't place it on a good area (upper chest) because Fentanyl works best where there is more fat distribution. Once I started wearing the patch on my belly, all my side effects went away and and never bothered me when my dose was increased. It didn't affect me at all and I was comfortable driving while on Fentanyl. Of course,we should always be extra careful since we are taking strong medications.

I also used medical tape like Nexcare for example to keep the patch sticking better. Be careful when you towel dry so that you don't take it off by accident. If it does come off, dispose of it carefully (do not flush down the toilet- it gets in the water supply!) and replace it with a new one. The down side of wearing patches is that it leaves adhesive marks on your skin. Some people might be sensitive and get some itching and redness from the patches. Always let your doctor know if you have a problem with them.

Make sure that you stay on schedule with Fentanyl patches so you avoid making mistakes. I used to write the date of the new patch on the tape so I'd know which one was the old one. My doctor would have me put on a new patch in the morning and tell me to leave the old one on until the end of the day. He said to do it this way so that the Fentanyl level in the new patch would build up while the old patch's level is decreasing (hope this makes sense). Not all doctors do this overlap schedule.

Well, I hope this helps and that the patches relieve your pain. Take care