Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Op depression!

dilynnddilynn Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am only 10 days post op. really think I am doing well. Maybe doing to much...But I am trying. Taking less pain meds sleeping pretty good...
But I seem to be crying and weepy all the time....Is this Normal???
I think I seem to cry at everything. My boyfriend thinks I am unhappy with him and with us...Actually I am unhappy with everything...lol

So let me know what you guys do or any suggestions of what I should do....
2007 ACDF C6 - C7
2010 Aspen Cage L4,L5 for Grade 2 Spondo and spinal stenosis
2011 Non-Union C6-C7, Revision Posterior fusion with hardware.
2012 Failed fusion of L4, L5. Revision L4, L5 Fusion with hardware.

• dilynn....I think this might be the norm. I just posted a few minutes after you. My husband must think I'm whiny...I'm not (typically). I'm crying all the time. This is not my nature....to cry easily.

I'm not sleeping that well but the crying????? My word....its making me as crazy as the ache in my neck and the lack of sleep! ha ha..

Did you read the thread about surgery experiences? some of them are so funny. They've helped me a couple of times to break out of the tears and weepiness.

We'll get through this....this too must pass!!!!! I just wish it'd be quicker than this. Its been 5 weeks for me.

Maybe they should change the name of our procedures to "from pain to tears". I didn't ever cry about pain before this procedure. It isn't my first surgery...but it is my first spinal surgery. I think they hit a tear duct! ha ha.

Feel better...I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly sans tears.
  • I'm scheduled for surgery in 4 weeks. For the past few weeks I have been crying for anything. It seems like it is getting worse lately. Can't imagine what I will be like in 4 weeks.

Could it be meds? I'm taking neurontin and skelaxin and have been for about 4 months now.
  • I cry over Christmas shows and whatever. If I think about it I cry...I don't know where the tears come from..I can deal with the pain...just not the crying...and I think I am a little crabby too....lol
    I glad I am not alone and I will look at some of the surgical experiences...
    Thanks for the reply..Happy Holiday..
    2007 ACDF C6 - C7
    2010 Aspen Cage L4,L5 for Grade 2 Spondo and spinal stenosis
    2011 Non-Union C6-C7, Revision Posterior fusion with hardware.
    2012 Failed fusion of L4, L5. Revision L4, L5 Fusion with hardware.
  • Guys, Gals...crying is a release! :-) Really, between the post ops, and the pre ops...there area a LOT of emotions and for those with the "post ops"...hormones, stress, trauma etc. Look at the time of the year too! Everyone expects us to be happy, and for whatever emotions we aren't happy! That is OKAY. *HUG* I am 4 months post op, and I still get the boohoo moments! My hubby just leaves the room, as I have told him,..."Sorry darlin, I love you, but I am not happy, let me get this out." Other times when I get unhappy for no known reason to myself, he is there for a hug, kiss or just to listen. :----)))))

Luv ya's!!! Cry if needed...believe it or not, many times it actually makes us feel better - it releases stress!!

Wishing you ALL the best. :-)
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • maybe it is the meds. God knows we all seem to be on enough of them. I'm not a crybaby...I hate to cry. I hate even more that I can brush the back of my hair so I have a mass of crazy curls back there! I should've thought to have it cut before surgery. LOL....I'm looking crazy just about now.

The funny part is that I usually have my hair curly...but becuase NOW I can't dry it straight...I'm crying 'cuz its curly. Go figure!

Kris NY...is the NY for New York????? I'm in NYC.

Lets pull it together and cry us a river! ha ha...what else can we do. But I gotta remember to by tissue with lotion in it....my poor nose!
  • There have been quite a few threads about crying post-op. I think it's fairly common. Not only from all the medication, anesthesia... but from all the stress & worry! Just let it all out, crying is healthy.