Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Would love any input I can get...........

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I fell down a flight of stairs 2 years ago and broke my C7 Facet Joint. I have been diagnosed with FJ Syndrome and for the most part the pain has been severe but isolated to my neck, left shoulder and down my left buttocks and leg, to my knee.

The last few weeks the pain level has increased significantly and in the last 2 weeks I have had horrible headaches in the base of my skull and lots of pain in my pelvic region, like if I had to pee very, very, very bad.

After reading up on my condition it seems that all of my symptoms fall into the FJ Syndrome diagnosis. I have tried to tell my Neurologist that things have been getting worse since summer 2009 and he continues to give me 15 mg/ Roxicodone, 4 x daily. This is just not helping like it did when my symptoms were just in my neck and shoulder.

How do I make him understand that things are getting worse and that the medicine has to be doubled up in order for it to work properly. I don't want to come across as "seeking" because my problem is documented but he seems to not want to move up or try anything else as far as medications go. I read that methadone is a great long term pain med but he doesn't wanna touch it and I don't function well on morphine.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

• I am not familiar with FJ Syndrome but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once :)

Can you ask your PCP for a referral to see NS/OS who is fellowship trained?

How long has it been since you had your last MRI/CT scan? What kind of symptoms are you currently having?

If you are done with the Neuroligist and the NeuroSurgeon says you are not a good surgical candidate then you might want to move into Pain Management.

Have you undergone any injections and nerve blocks?

• I do currently see a neurologist for FJ Syndrome (Facet Joint Syndrome. I broke my facet joint). My last MRI, CAT Scan, X-rays were when the accident happened, two years ago.

My symptoms are pain in neck at C7, burning pain in left shoulder to the elbow, deep aching pain from my lower back to my knee, all on the left side only. More recently I have had severe headaches to the point of missing work and a pain in the pelvic area.

I don't have insurance yet (should have in a month or so) and my doc doesn't seem to want to change anything. I've tried accupuncture, PT, Tens, electro-accupuncture, heat, cool, everything I've read about.

The neurosurgeon that treated me when I broke my neck said I probably need surgery but to wait as long in life as possible before doing it because there is a 50/50 chance that I would be worse off than before.

Just looking for some suggestions on handling this. My NS has been very good to keep seeing me w/out insurance for almost a year and I haven't paid anything for my visits.
  • Sounds like you have very understanding surgeon. Maybe your body is just getting used to the amount of meds that your getting from your doctor.Maybe you can approach it that way.Tell him that you feel that your not getting the same affect from the med that you had before and that you feel that you may need a stronger dose to have the desired affect you need. Remind him that you didn't do well on morphine and don't want to be put back on it.If he says that he doesn't want to give you a stronger dose then ask him if there is something else at that dosage that he can give you that would have a better affect on you.It also sounds like its been quite a while since that mri was done and you should probably be having another one as well to see if there are any changes to that area causing you to feel worse.Alot can change in two years beleive me. Good luck with your apt.
  • Howdy and Welcome to Spine Health!!!

If you aren't already doing it, keeping a journal or diary might be of help. This way you can then combine your info into a 1 or 2 page note for your doctor to see and read. It also helps you in that you don't forget something little - sometimes it is the "little thing" that we ourselves blow off that is the cornerstone "key to the puzzle" as they say.

This would also help you in maybe seeing when the best and worse are for pain, headaches, medication results etc. I bring my notes each time - and my surgeon even adds them to my medical file. This also covers me in that they can't say "they never knew blah blah blah was happening! Good luck and please keep us all posted on how you are doing.

Oh, and having a doctor seeing you without charge, that is so cool in this day and age! Good for you!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.