Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post op numbness

YakmikeYYakmike Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I was diagnosed two years ago with severe Spondylolisthesis in my lumbar region specifically L3, 4 and 5. After a great deal of trying to manage the pain I had surgery on Oct. 12th and it was quite successful. My MD did a Laminectomy and fused 3,4 and 5.I am now three months out and back to work and doing an aggressive PT program. I have virtually NO Stenosis pain in my back but my left leg still remains very weak and seems to go numb for no apparent reason. I am thinking this is a nerve related issue and will recover over time. Has anyone had a similar problem and how long did the nerves take to regenerate?

• Not to be discouraging, but I would suggest that calling your surgery successful at three months out is a bit optimistic.

You indicate you had severe spondylolisthesis. I don't know what grade that translates to, but if you had severe nerve compression, it is possible that one or more of the nerves will never completely recover.

If you are feeling numbness at this point, it is sometimes a sign of either nerve compression or some problem with the nerve. The nerve itself may be scarred or damaged from being compressed for a long period of time. Or there may be scar tissue that has formed and attached to a spinal nerve that is causing the problems. At this point, all you can do is continue with your recovery, with whatever therapy you are doing and hope for the best.

Your doctor might suggest having a steroid injection to see if that will calm down the nerve. Unfortunately they cannot tell you with any certainty whether a nerve can fully recover.

I speak from experience. I had a one level PLIF at L4-5 for spondylolisthesis and stenosis two years ago. I still have nerve pain/radiculopathy in my right leg, and I am still working to resolve it.

You are still early in your recovery, so do not be discouraged by my comments. Nerves heal very slowly -- some doctors say up to a year, and some say even longer before you start thinking the damage may be permanent. If I can help with any questions, let me know.

• Optimism has been my mantra with this entire process. Thanks for your comment and I know that recovery time is still very early and realize it could take up to a full year. Hopefully that will not be the case. I appreciate your insight and wish you all the best with your L4-5 issues.