Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TraseeTTrasee Posts: 571
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
Anyone know of a good Protein with vitamins and minerals, without the hefty cost of ISOPURE? I need an isolate protein, I am just short on funds for GNC top of the line products.

• Sorry, I don't have a clue. Stupid question coming: What is it used for?

Maybe try googling for it. There's got to be another less expensive formula/generic (I would hope) out there. Finding it is a different story. Wish I could help.
  • Hey Hey Lisa,

Protein is used for lots of things. Mine main use for it is weight loss. High protein low carb diet. But it is really the buliding block of our bodies besides water. Amino acids, enzymes, etc, and GNC makes a prod called ISOPURE, it is the most digestable and purist forms of protein called isolates. But it is $150. Normally this is what I use and just cannot afford it now. I keep looking and just cant really find a good match. GNC got it going on. I will just keep looking and maybe someone will stumble across this and give me an idea.
  • I use the Myoplex shakes as a protein supplement with vitamins and minerals. I think they have 25 grams of protein per serving.
  • Have you tried to purchase Isopure online? I buy Isopure plus a whey protein isolate on a website online. I do not know if I can mention the name of the site here, so I am going to send you a PM with the link, OK?
    I like the Designer Whey Chocolate myself....
  • My favorite brand and most used protein. Ive use this for years coz of the lactose issues with others. I tried the GNC house brand of WPI and it came close in effect, but the taste was different as per the brand, not bad, just a little different flavor of vanilla. the price is a little higher but the product is great. i googled th key words of whey protein isolate and a few hits for online companys came up.
    I was using the protein to buffer the Lactic acid build up in my body building days and found the soreness wasnt as bad on the heavy leg days. I continued using it because for a certain aspect,,,
    I believe the cortisol build up from working out is the same for the cortisol buildup from the muscle damage i carry now, and buffering the cortisol helped a little, IDK, its just my personal chemistry,
    BTW, I used "Blue Thunder" liquid protien for years and when they stopped selling it, i tried the GNC WPI house brand, it tasted good and had the same effects.
    Good luck to ya! I gonna look here and there and see if I can find ya a easyer on the pocketbook link.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Thanks for the link tiper, that price is better than the biG chain any day. I have purch at biG chain for $70, but that is few and far between.
  • I am glad that the link helped you out. I am telling you, some of those big chain health food stores are a rip off! I will never go to a big chain health food store again! Online is the way to go. Take care,

• I get the cheap Body Fortress brand they carry at Walmart. It all makes me gag anyway, so there's no way I'm paying a lot money for it. :sick:
  • ... skip the cheap junk at Wally World. Whether it makes you gag has nothing to do with its value. The cheap ones are poorly processed whey protein. If you're going to bother you need to spend the money. You can get protein from lots of sources. Just drinking protein shakes is the easy and sometimes lazy and unhealthy way to do it. Same goes for these new isolate versions. Some are processed in such a way (cheaply) that they are stripped of a lot of their value (enzymes). Then at the end vitamins and minerals are stuffed back in. It is not the same as ones processed properly. Except those cost a lot of money. The cheap ones are just more fat based with more preservative junk in them.

You can find a healthy diet that gets you sufficient protein without that expense. Body builders may want that to pack on muscle. I doubt many on here are body builders at this point. If you can't exercise much that high protein will just turn into fat anyway.

Changing your diet is rough. I'm going through it and miss some things more than I thought. I'm not sure which is worse. Quitting smoking or eating healthy...

• Traci I have no idea if this is similar to the product you are looking for but just in case... I bought a carton of Manitoba Farm's 50% hemp protein. It's raw and supposed to be really good for you. They also have 70% and other ones to pick from. Here's a link about hemp protein: http://www.manitobaharvest.com/nutrition/index.asp?itemID=172

If someone removes the link, just google "Manitoba Farms hemp protein"
  • Perhaps I should have clarified that I use protein powder on the advice of my PM doctor and my nutritionist, as a supplement to a healthy, well-balanced diet. It's not protein replacement, in my case, and is certainly not a lazy or unhealthy shortcut to anywhere.

As far as "needing" to spend the money.. nope, not so much. The Wally version does exactly what it's intended to do and the changes in my body are proof enough of that for me. ;)

• I too NEED protein and I buy the walmart brand of Whey and am doing well with it - about 15.00 for 30 servings :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I have to consume a minimum of 60grams of protein per day with moderate exercise. Right now the moderate exercise if falling to the wayside, since I fell to the wayside on Thursday morning. But I plan to get back to it when I feel better. I have a problem getting enough protein due to an absorption issue. Thats why I have to have the high end absorbable proteins. The wal mart cheapy doesn't do it for me. Wish it did. But the site tiper sent is great and closer to what it affordable for me.
  • JAMA said:
    Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), under its heading of Dietetics and Hygiene, states: "The goat is the healthiest domestic animal known. Goat milk is superior in every way to cow's milk. Goat milk is the ideal food for babies, convalescents and invalids, especially those with weakened digestive powers. Goat milk is the purest, most healthful and most complete food known."
    The reason I post this quote is that the article goes on to talk about a product called "Goatein". Now I have never taken this, I always use Boost and certain foods to increase my protein intake, but I found it to be interesting to read about.

Are you okay? You mentioned you "fell to the wayside". Did you fall? Anyway, I hope you are doing alright and best of luck finding a good source of absorpable protein.

• Wow C....I have never heard this. I know about goat cheese and can tolerate soy milk, not so sure about the goat thing. I will research. Thanks and Spiney Hugs.
  • 60g a day seems low to me. Is there a reason that can't come just from food sources? Or are you talking about 60g in addition to protein obtained from food?

My protein range is 90-127g per day, which accounts for around 30% of my total calorie intake. I usually get about 100g of protein a day just from food, plus 26g a day from adding protein powder to my breakfast smoothies. My breakfast recipe (milk, strawberries, cottage cheese, vanilla protein powder, and a tiny bit of splenda - sounds gross, but it's really good :lol:" alt=":lol:" height="20" /> ) has 55g of protein by itself - 29g from the food sources, 26g from the protein powder.

• WHEY....is gret for protien and calciunm vit D... 1000 is good for the bones!!!
  • I've been using the Twinlab whey protein fuel since my surgery in October. My Dad orders it for me from Advantagesupplements.com and I think with s&h it's about $35 for 5 lbs. Not exactly cheap, but not too bad. Trust me 5 lbs is a lot lol occasionally GNC has it on special for about $25. I like it because the flavor is decent and it isn't gritty like a lot of the cheaper ones.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Sauteed chicken livers in garlic, and goat milk. I love it.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I feed raw chicken livers to my cats and once you've witnessed that destruction, it's really, really hard to want to cook and eat them. :sick:

• I don't have an idea about it. I think you should recommend from your family doctor before trying anyone's suggestion...
  • Hi, I had gastric bypass in 2002 and was always looking for a high protein shake or something to supplement. I found ProScore 100 by Champion. The best flavor is Chocolate if you like chocolate. I'm not sure how it stacks up with what you've been doing, but it was a biggee with us gastric bypass folks. It tastes good with some ice and water in a blender. It is Whey Protein. Google Proscore 100 and see what you think. Good Luck.

• Thanks for all the input. I just broke down and got the GNC Isopure. For me it has worked the best, since the body can only digest approx 30gr of protien at a time. I don't need the higher content. This is used as replacement. I use soy milk & cookies and cream isop. It really is tasty!! I can't eat all the protein I need, this is an easy way to get it. Not intentionally lazy GRAHAM!! LOL J/K =)) Btw, this was recommended by my Dr. He was specific about isolates and using the better brands, even if they cost a little more.

Hugs all around,
  • There are many health benefits of protein. Eating enough protein is essential to maintain a healthy body. If the body sustains an injury, such as a cut, protein helps with tissue repair.Protein is an important component of every cell in the body. Hair and nails are mostly made of protein. Protein is an important nutrient needed by everyone on a daily basis.
  • Proteins is very necessary in humans life. One full glass of milk and 3 eggs will add about 56 great grams of protein to your diet. Other protein will get from fish and meat.

Signature line removed. Solicitation at Spine-Health is not permitted

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health Administrator 08/31/10
  • Proteins are organic compounds made of amino acids arranged in a linear chain and nutrition form.In folded globular proteins are broken down into the stomach during digestion by enzymes known as proteases into smaller polypeptides to provide amino acids for the body, including the essential amino acids that the body can not biosynthesis. EDITED

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

• Protein is very important for human body, There are many health benefits of protein. Eating enough protein is essential to maintain a healthy body. If the body sustains an injury, such as a cut, protein helps with tissue repair.Protein is an important component of every cell in the body.
  • I think we might have talked about it before, aboutht e absorbsion rates of Isolate and concentrate. I would do a glass of concentrate to help me sleep since it would digest slower and make ya feel kind of full. Your right about the absorbsion rate though.

Isopure and blue thunder would ease some of my discomfort, dont know why or how but I think it was buffereing the cortisol.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• I've been using the Melaleuca ProFlex20 protein shake mix for about a year now for my muscle health. I am between the sedentary and light exercise fitness category at the present time, so my daily protein intake calculates to about 90 grams of protein needed per day.

I have been using the Melaleuca company for all of my supplements for several years. I have been pleased with their products and won't use any other brand. I use the dutch chocolate protein shake of theirs and I swear, it tastes just like chocolate cake batter. I love the stuff.

I would be happy to share the website with anyone who is interested. When we come across something that works really good, it's always nice to spread the word.

Wishing everyone less pain and a healthy diet with great results!

Tammy :)
  • Proteins are organic compounds made of amino acids arranged in a linear chain and folded in a globular form.Protein and vegetable protein probably have the same effects on health. Is the set of proteins that is likely to make a difference.
This discussion has been closed.