Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Males & Females

B52BB52 Posts: 247
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This isn't a scientific study, but just looking over the posts here and the reading and conversing I've done over the last couple months, something occurs to me. It seems like there are quite a bit more females on this forum. If this hypothesis were true, would it mean that females have more back/neck troubles or would it mean that they just post more on here? I dunno, just wondering!

• that women just like to talk about things more than men?
  • Good morning Jellyhall, I hope this finds you well! You may be on to something there. I dunno tho. I'm a dude and I'm pretty talkative!

• One of my sons is also very talkative. However the other son and my husband, just don't talk about how they feel. They talk about sport, cars, computers etc etc, but not about how they feel.
    My daughter on the other hand, well she takes after me, and just loves to talk about anything and everything - especially about how she feels!

Most of the talk on here relates to how we are coping with and feeling about our back and neck problems. I expect there are men and women, who are here regularly, 'listening in' but don't want to talk about it themselves. That's fine - whatever helps.
  • I have wondered the same thing,B----during the last 2 years of ongoing back stuff I have noticed more women at the doctor,more women at P.T.----I would say alot of women I have seen have been about my age(59),so for us it may have something to do with the hormones and bone issues we develop.Also I have wondered if those women who have given birth have been affected due to the increased weight on our spines---anyway--it would be an interesting study!

• I have definately got much worse in the last few years (Am 54). Also, I was told that it is unusual to get through 3 pregnancies without my spondylolisthesis having been diagnosed. I did have problems, but just thought that women did when they were pregnant.
    I have been told that in the UK on the NHS, more fusions are offered to young women than young men for spondylolisthesis because of the chance that they will want to have a pregnancy, and the strain it puts on the slipped vertebra.
  • This pertains to stenosis:

Degenerative changes of the spine are seen in up to 95% of people by the age of 50. Spinal stenosis most often occurs in adults over 60 years old. Pressure on the spinal cord is equally common in men and women, although women are more likely to have symptoms that require treatment.

A small number of people are born with back problems that develop into lumbar spinal stenosis. This is known as congenital spinal stenosis. It occurs most often in men. People usually first notice symptoms between the ages of 30 and 50. (taken from http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00329)

For general back pain here is another study done in Australia:

20.9% of population self-reported having back pain or disc disorders in Australia 2001 (ABS 2001 National Health Survey, Australia’s Health 2004, AIHW)
    20.7% of female population self-reported having back pain or disc disorders in Australia 2001 (ABS 2001 National Health Survey, Australia’s Health 2004, AIHW)
    21.0% of male population self-reported having back pain or disc disorders in Australia 2001 (ABS 2001 National Health Survey, Australia’s Health 2004, AIHW)

My GUESS would be that women are more likely to seek treatment at an earlier point. I bet most men tough it out until they can't stand it any longer.
  • Love the stats. When I gave anesthesia for epidural blocks, there seemed to be as many men as women.

• Well I'm kind of the rare woman that didn't seek treatment until I couldn't stand it anymore...toughed it out for a long time...but my guess is jellyhall is right. From the people I've met in person, both men and women, the women are the ones that are more open to discuss their pain/issues and much more open to seeking the companionship of others in similar situations...especially through chat etc...
  • My DH and I kind of fit the stat that the woman's back issues were worse than the man's.

Both of us had back surgery. My husband had his at age 37, he only needed a microdiscectomy.

I had my first back surgery at at 42, I had to have a fusion.

But - there is a kink - his problems were probably sports related while mine were a car accident. So I don't know if our situation can be 'counted'.

Oh - I'm the computer geek in our family. My DH is NOT - not at all. That's why I'm here and he would never consider it.
  • On the subject of talking; when any of you who had to wear an ugly back brace wore it, were you rather self aware of it? Some people seem to try to hide these things under clothes.
    I just wear a tee shirt with the TLSO over it unless I need a jacket. It is surely NOT a chick magnet! I do catch people looking at it, which is actually kinda funny. I'm really more comfortable with it when people just come out and ask "Hey man, what happened to you?"
    Ya know, when I catch people looking at the brace, they universally will suddenly look up and look me in the eyes. I'm thinking, "yea, I caught ya." I imagine it must be akin to what a woman feels when she catches a guy gazing at her blouse.
    Just wondering..I will be SO glad to be shed of that brace. I know it's helping me, but it sure is hot and ugly.

Rock on,
  • How much longer do you have to wear it Aaron?

• well,I decided since this was my second timearound,I would do it up right---I hotglued huge rhinestones to the front,and a big silk rose on the end that sticks to the brace! the nurses loved it,my dr.said wow alot of hot glue there,and in the drs office the other day men and women looked at it and just smiled-----I just turned it around to a fashion statement!--------I will lend you my glue gun,Aaron! It does get old---and it is strange how people look at you---hopefully you will not have to wear it much longer!
  • I have to wear the brace two more months if everything goes well.
  • Not sure what the true percentages are. I think a few factors are at work here.
    * First more women than men (age 40+) use computers. Younger and that evens out.
    * Women do talk more about their pains than men.
    * Women tend to be more supportive of others.

And lastly women type better. If you make a man wait more than 10 seconds to say what he is thinking it goes right out of their head!!!
  • Kris,
    What you said about men losing their trains of thought after ten... Hey, is that a sandwich? Oh man!!!

Over & out
    Aaron :)
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    My first response when looking for information and support for medical stuff is to hit the internet. My hubby isn't the same way. He may look stuff up but doesn't get involved in too many boards (medical or other)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos