Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cat is dying

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Matters of the Heart
Hi everyone,

I write tonight with a heavy heart. My 3 year old cat Barbosa is dying. WE have been feeding him with a syringe, and trying to do everything we can to make him comfortable. Today he started eating a little, thanks to some meds the vet sent home with him. He has the Feline Leukemia virus. Our other cat has it, and is in perfect health. We lost a cat, Tut, in November from cancer. Now, Barbosa is failing. He has lost so much weight ( originally 15 lbs) now less than 10. He can barely move, as his muscles have wasted. He is in the final stages of the disease, but I feel so bad to euthanize him, when he is eating still. Tut did not eat at the end. He has such a fighting spirit but the look in his eyes is saying "please, I am so tired, let me go..." I have to take him to the vet again tomorrow for more fluids... Should I stick it out longer or end his suffering tomorrow? i am hysterical at the thought of it. What should I do?

Please, answers are helpful and healing.
Thanks, Steph

• I think a good general rule for deciding whether or not to euthanize is "Do the bad days outnumber the good?" If your kitty is truly suffering then I think sometime it's time to let go. My heart is breaking for you though, I have many pets and they really are members of the family. I know it hurts, but it's obvious your cat has had a loving, full life and you are a great owner/kitty mama. ***hug***
  • I tried a rescue on a severly abused and malnourished kitty, the little guy was a fighter, I wont go into details but he found me too late.
    That didnt diminish any of its fight or will, its little body was too far gone.
    It is a mercy to put such a fighting spirit to rest,
    Kitty loves and is loved, but the indominable will,
    will keep the feline going against the odds,
    as the wonderful mama of kitty, this decision is harder than to taking one of your own limbs off.
    This is why cats are so special to us, their spirit mirrors ours in many ways, with all the fight and foibles of courage

I wish you the blessings of courage in this dark time and pray your decision will bring comfort to you and Kitty.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• I'm sorry to hear about your cat being ill. It's so hard to let a pet go. If he's telling you he's tired I know it must be hard to let him go but he will be out of pain. Have you heard about Rainbow Bridge? Check that site out about pets leaving us. You take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Awwww Steph, I am so sorry about your baby. The decision to let them go is so hard. I've only had to do it once and my vet was so great. Allowed me to hold her and love her until she was better off. I hope you feel you can make the right decision for you and kitty.

• Sorry to hear about your cat....
  • I am very sorry about Barbosa having FLV. It is always hard to know when it is time to let our loved ones go. We wish and pray that someone else can make that decision for us or that our pets can tell us when. Sadly that happens and we as owners have a hard time seeing it, because we don't want to suffer the loss or the feeling of guilt for taking away a life maybe before its time and cheating them of those additional days. It stinks and even the vet has to struggle with the pain of your loss.

With his body failing as it is, there's no magic cure and no turning back. There's only the question of "how much pain is he in". I used to work in veterinary medicine and the hardest thing for any staff or vet, was watching the families hold on when the pets were in obvious distress. Regardless, a good vet will move mountains for an owner, trying to do everything that can possibly be done. Sounds like you have a fantastic vet.

I have gone through the loss of a pet and lifelong companion a few times and it never gets any easier. I have even made the mistake of trying every thing humanly possible, when the reality was that there was no way to save my friend. I was crushed when I realized I waited too long and she suffered needlessly because I couldn't let go. It's a fine line where owners place their own feelings of loss as priority and pets suffer needlessly for it. It happens because there is no instruction manual that tells us when and where and how. It's not malicious or anything of the sort, it is simply our love and attachment and our heartache. I'm very sorry that you are having to endure this right now.

Most vets have things set up to make you and your pet as comfortable as possible as well as afford you both some privacy. They are also very willing to explain to you everything that will be done and what happens and how. Many people will bring their pet's favorite blanket or bed so that they are comfortable and surrounded by familiarity and not so scared.

I hope I don't sound callous, that is not my intent. This is just a very difficult subject for those of us who have pets, and one that not many can discuss without themselves getting teary eyed and sad.

As Charry mentioned, there's a really awesome poem called "The Rainbow Bridge" that I think is fantastic for this situation. http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm Is the link to the poem and is also a pet loss support site with some great information and members.

All my best,

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I don't have any advice for you. I just wanted to tell you how much I sympathize with you. It gets me all choked up just thinking about it. I know that your love for your pet will guide you to make the right decision. It is so very hard. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Barbosa.

• God bless you.----Mazy
  • Barbosa went over the Rainbow Bridge this morning. I was hysterical, but it was time. I am sure he is with our other cat who went before him and they are playing now. No more limping, no more pain, no more sickness. WE only had him for 2 months... in such a short time, the disease did that to him. We will still continue to support other pets with FLV though. Our other cat has it, and she is healthy. I guess it is just a matter of luck. We are looking into adopting a kitten with the disease next. For every cat that is lost, there are a hundred more that need help. I just try to do what I can. The best way to mourn for Barbosa and Tut is to give that love to another kitty in need. God Bless you all for your kind words in my time of need. My back has paid for a lot of suffering this week. Time to call the doctor now and take care of myself.
  • You are wonderful, giving depite the pain that comes with love, thats real and true. Heaven has a witness to your kindness and goodwill. Kitty is sitting there, telling all the angels about you, bragging more like it!
    Mama did this, he says, and Mama did that, he tells them next.
    A and then he puffs his furry chest out and says quietly, and when it was time for me to come home,
    She did this for me.
    And then with a nudge with furry paw, he whispers to the other kittys,
    and Mama's Going to help our kin.

Ms.Steph, yours is the heart of an Angel to these feline family members!
    Love, Respect, and Peace to you
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Girl, can I tell you "I know exactly what you went (and continue to go) through!"

I had a kitty that was forced on to me by my boss. No problem - she loved me, and I loved her. She also had FLV. I lost her 2 years ago in May (gosh - has it been that long?). My son called me from home while I was working and told me Ms. Kitty was acting all strange again (she had flare-ups). I told him to just hold her if she let him and pet her and coo to her so she felt loved (he and I were the only 2 in the family she loved; she tolerated my husband since he was the alpha male, my other 2 sons she ran when they entered the room). She held on long enough for me to get home and died in my arms.

I buried her myself outside my bedroom window. Yep - I dug the hole and wrapped her up with my PJ top so she would feel my love always). It was so sad. My son learned a lesson about "end of life" issues and that even when you are a MALE it's ok to cry sometimes.

My heart goes out to you Steph. I truly know what you are going through at this point in time...

Take care.
  • I'm sorry to hear your cat was so sick. You are a very brave and kind person to take in and love the cats that need you most! I'm sorry you had to let Barbosa go but you know that he couldn't have had a more loving life here. Ranchhand and Jeaux say it best!

My son just moved back home along with his sweet cat. We've never had a cat before yet we have fallen head over heels in love with this sweet baby girl! He adopted her in July so she's not yet a year. Kiera is the sweetest, smartest, funniest cat we've ever seen! My son says my husband and I are spoiling her! Oh well, it's fun having her around and now that I'm attached I can understand your pain! I hope you are feeling better each day!

• My condolensces on losing your little buddy.

I lost my doggy soulmate Merc (my avitar) in April and I still miss him. I was lucky enough to find another little friend who is very different from Merc, but Wally has his own little qualities that have made me love him more than I though I'd ever be able to love another baby again.

Hang in there, sweety. He'd definitely playing on the rainbow bridge, even with the doggies, but he'll recognize you the minute you get there then you'll both be able to spend eternity together. We'll see our babies again and this time they won't be hurting or sad, just our buddies as we remember the best.