Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgeon appointment yesterday

Christina69CChristina69 Posts: 534
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
At the Dr. appointment yesterday, he infomed me that in three months time...if the pain didnt let up, we'd look at a spinal cord stimulator.
My pain management DR. already told me that there was nothing more he could do, just keep me somewhat comfortable which isnt happening. I'm still on Morhpine twice a day and well as Percocet 10's every 4 hours as needed and Zanaflex.
In three months time that will be my 6 month mark. I'm a little scared of having a SCS implanted as I hate the thought of another surgery but I just want this pain under control.
Anyway, does anyone else have a hard time laying on your hips and buttocks? Mine kill me after about 10-15 minutes and I have to turn all the time in bed. The surgeon gave me lidocane patches to try but as far as I know arent the just pretty much a topical pain relief thing? They dont seem to do anything.

• Christina, I was prescribed the Lidoderm patches pre-surgery and they never helped since my pain was so deep inside me. Now post-op it does help a lot with my lower back pain (though it might be working in conjunction with my Percs). My PM told me that because I'm having a lot of muscular pain the patches should help. Maybe give them a shot? Sometimes I use 2 at a time, though they are expensive to use like that.
  • I also suffered from deep hip pain after 2 of my surgeries...last one being an ALIF.

It finally let up but I can only attribute it to two possibilities as the docs of course had no idea. It is either from the increased amount of time laying around recovering OR I have heard it is a narcotic withdrawl symptom..it did seem to happen more when I was due for another dose, so I dont know.

The important thing is that it does go away & you're not crazy :)
  • Wow, I'm sorry that things aren't heading in the direction you were hoping. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things improve over the next few months.

If it turns out you have to consider an SCS, you've got some great resources here like "C" and BionicWoman. They've both done a lot of research and are regular contributors to the SCS secion.

Take care, Christina.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    Christina, I've been using those Lidoderm patches for over 3 years now.

I have had some good results using them. However, it took about 3 weeks using them and 3 patches a day before I felt some relief.

Dont expect miracles from them, but they do help in providing some pain relief.

The biggest problem was keeping the patches in place. Many times, I needed to cut the patch in half so it would stick better.

If you have problems with them staying in place, adding an adhesive tape will help

They do help, especially in addition to other treatments (ie Physical/Aqua Therapy, etc)
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • they come off onto your shirt. I also had to cut them in half and apply to each side. Verdict is still out on them. They dont do very well for deep pain.
  • My neuro gave me a script for Flector Patch. I'm using them for muscle soreness. From surgery, hardware inflaming them, and PT. It is an NSAID that is topical. It pretty much is good for sprains and muscle pain. Better than what you can buy over the counter. They stick really well. You can remove one, jump in the shower, put it back on. Lasts 12 hours.

For that deep pain down in the bones. From the hardware. I hear you. I feel that pain and little helps more than dulling it.