Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

almost 4 week post lumbar fusion.

tesai110ttesai110 Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Have fusion on L5S1 on January 14, 2010. I seem to be doing better than i expected. Have been off pain meds almost 2 weeks now and am now driving where ever I want (yay!!). My problem is that ever since I woke up from surgery I have not been able to lift the toes on my right foot (I've heard it's called foot drop?). The NS refered me to PT, today was my first day and OMG I feel so sore! Is that normal? Any suggestions on the foot drop? I'm so frustrated that I can't get moving quicker...guess I've never really had much patience.

• I don't know about the foot drop but yes - I felt sore once I started doing more exercise. You will probably be worse (sorry) tomorrow.
    Good luck!
  • As with all back pain one thing you will learn is you will need to be patience.

Wishing you to be pain free

• My PT always puts me down for the rest of the day, sometimes 2 days. It is a tough balancing act for both you and your therapist to find the best level of exercise to increase healing with minimal pain increases. As you get to know each other that should get better. I would always expect some additional pain after pt, the goal is to strengthen and that takes some "pressure" but you should still be able to function.
    Remember patience, patience, and some more patience :)
    You are early in recovery anyway, so PT will "slow you down"
    God bless and keep You...moving comfortably,
  • Tesai-you are doing great!Please don't overdo-and yes PT makes you hurt and be sore--you might try taking a painreliever before you go-the first PT sessions usually remind us of what a big surgery we have had.Try not to rush-you don't want to experience the "3 steps ahead,2 steps back"thing.
  • I just got back from NS follow up, he's going to send me for a CT scan because of the foot drop. Hopefully it all turns out ok...and yes, I hurt way more today. I can't even do the exercises today. Hopefully tomorrow I will be better.
  • I know my physican told me there is a 5% chance of foot drop and I am having a L5 S1 fusion. Did you have any weakness prior to surgery? Your PT should be able to help with the foot drop. Lynette
  • yes Lynette, i had numbness and pain more so than weakness, but NS says it should just take time (fingers crossed)