Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4/L5 Microdiscectomy

badensbarkerybbadensbarkery Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in New Member Introductions
I have been suffering from leg pain for about 3.5 years. I just turned 30 this past January. My MRI revealed an L4/L5 disc herniation. I have no idea how a I got it. I haven't been in any kind of major accident. After trying all conservative treatments, I finally had a microdiscectomy done on Feb 2. So tomorrow I'll be two weeks out from my surgery and get to have my stitches removed. Yesterday (Feb 14), I finally started feeling a reduction in pain with respect to my sciatica. For a while there, I totally thought my microdiscectomy was a failure. My doctor did tell me I may feel some tingling after the surgery which I did, but my symptoms of sciatica really never let up until yesterday. Im not really sure I understand why. If the bulge was removed, the nerve should have been decompressed and I should have been pain free after the surgery, right? Maybe muscle inflammation was causing the nerve to be irritated. I still feel my pain a little bit and Im still in the healing process from my surgery, but Im happy with the results so far. I walked a mile for the first time since my surgery this evening, wahoo!

• That great to hear. But do take it easy. And as for the pain its going to take time to heal. Just dont over do it. Talk to you dr to see what you can do and what you shouldn't do
    also let us know how you doing. Iam so jealous here Lol

• It is very normal to have pain after microdiscectomy. My pain was worse after mine and I questioned if it wasthe right thing to do. You must remember that the nerves are aggravated and irritated. The longer that they were compressed the longer they take to heal. It actually took me 1 solid year to heal from it. I am telling you this in order to encourage you to be patient in your healing process and follow docs orders carefully. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I had the procedure L4/L5 over 18mths ago now. Give yourself time to heal............lots of walking in time seems to be a good overall winner.
    I just had my first barefoot waterski 2 days ago. Something I thought I'd never do again.......so hang in there and remember there are lots of sucess stories but what seems to happen when you get fixed up you tend to drift away from the site.......!!!
  • I'm nearly cracking 50yrs....so there hope that you bounce back!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. congratulations on your surgery and what sounds like a successful recovery so far!! =D> be patient and follow your doctor's orders. that is such good news that you are out walking already... :D that is the best thing you can do for yourself right now.. of course your doctor knows best.. good luck and stop by anytime. :D Jenny :)