Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 Days Post-op from MicroD

DoubleTDDoubleT Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have been reading these forums for the last several weeks while preparing for my surgery. I really appreciate all the great information here. I am now 6 days post-op and have a few concerns that I was hoping to get feedback on.

My number one concern is that my back seems to have been re-injured during surgery. In the past when I had the worst of my injuries my back would look very crooked or twisted and I would be unable to stand straight. Prior to the surgery I wasn't having that problem and immediately after the surgery I was back to being twisted. Has anybody had an experience like this? Is it normal to feel like that after a surgery?

My other concern is just where I should be almost a week out from surgery. I have to spend 90% of the day laying down with ice. I am unable to walk for more than a few minutes, and sitting is very uncomfortable for more than a couple of minutes. I don't expect to be going for a jog or going to lift weights, but I am wondering if most of my problem are from being so twisted and not the surgery itself.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated. I am starting to feel a bit down.

• Have you contacted your surgeon's office?

It is impossible to know what is causing your discomfort, and possibly the best thing you can do is contact your surgeon's office and let them know how you are feeling and ask them to address your concerns.

Welcome to Spine Health. I am glad that you have found the information here to be of help. Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing and what you find out.

• Hi,

I am not familiar with the background of how you ended up needing surgery.

The first thing is you are very soon out of surgery. So don't worry too much. They say it's minimally invasive but it's still back surgery.

What level(s) did they do the Microdiscectomy on?
    How did you feel right after surgery and what was your doctor's reaction to it?

I can only speak from my experiences. I had a microD on L5-S1 in August and a revision 14 days ago on same level.

The first time was tougher than the 2nd time. The first time I couldn't sit for the first 5 days...my tailbone actually hurt so even going to the bathroom was painful and I was taking my fair share of medication. I was like you and only able to take very short walks. I felt as if someone hit me across the back with a 2X4 and my back was swollen.

This 2nd time, less pain but I had a much longer surgery b/c they did some additional nerve monitoring b/c of how much scar tissue I had around the nerve.

So...my advice?
    I would contact your doctor. I would let him/her know what you are feeling and tell them what you are doing to try to combat the pain. Ask them for advice. They will likely give you some tips to help you make it until the 2-week post operative check up.

At that time, you need to be clear with the doctor on how lousy you feel. Do not sugar coat it. It could be surical inflammation is not going down fast enough. They may opt to start you on an oral steroid but usually won't do that until after week 2.

For 1-week out
    Yes, sitting will be uncomfortable. Try to limit it to 5 minutes just to eat a meal. That's what I've done. Small walks are ok. More frequent but small. So if you can walk 5 mins every hour slow as you want, the better. If you are lying down, be sure you are lying in bed. If possible, can you log-roll to your side and put a pillow b/t your legs and then have someone prop a few behind your back like they would at the hospital? Drink water and eat fiber based foods. I know it sounds silly but if you are constipated, you will hurt more so if are struggling with that, I'd recommend colace even as a softener.

The 'twisted back' feeling sounds like muscle tension. But not knowing your story it's tough to tell. The first surgery, I felt my entire back was in knots. I found for that type of pain, valium/muscle relaxer worked best. I also found the more I worried about how I was/wasn't progressing, the worse my back was. So, that's why I recommend calling the doctor.

Everyone proresses differently.
    I still have no feeling back in my leg but my incision pain is better this time than last. Others got feeling in their leg back right away but still have pain of 7/10.

The one thing I learned is...ask advice here but do not be afraid to call the doctor and express your concern or ask questions if you aren't feeling well.

I hope this was a little helpful.