Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower Back

gethealthyggethealthy Posts: 303
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All!

I'm doing much better with my neck. I can hold it up for a lot longer periods of time. Now I'm struggling with my lower back.

I have 2 bulging discs that act up from time to time. They're yelling at me now.

I had 3 levels done on my neck to turning to the sides is tough. I have to twist my body pretty hard when I'm driving and my back isn't too happy about that.

I have mirrors on my side mirrors that are suppose to help but they only help me with backing up not looking for on coming traffic. Any tips for driving?

I'm stretching and doing all the exercises my PT gave me but my lower back is not happy right now.

• Oh, man, I can't believe your lumbar is acting up. Look at my signature - are we becoming twins, or what?

I don't have the lack of ROM that you seem to have after your cervical surgery. I'm able to look left enough to see oncoming traffic, but I don't take the highway very much because seeing oncoming traffic then is too difficult. I only take the highway when my hubby or someone else is in the car to let me know if it's ok to proceed or change lanes. Kind of a pain, but that's the breaks, I guess.

I really hope that your lumbar problems don't become too extensive. I'd really hate to hear that.

You know, this kind of confirms my theory that once you have spine problems in one area, you're destined to have them in another. Of course, that's just my theory.

Anyway, take care, Lynn and I hope you feel better soon.

• How are you doing? I hope your surgery went well.

Is the lower back similar to healing from the cervical?

I had lower back issues prior to my ACDF so there's no surprise there. I just don't want my 2 bulging discs to herniate. I've been able to deal with them with stretching and strength training.

My neck disc did herniate and I lost a lot of spacing between the discs so it was a needed surgery.

I can turn my head to the right 55 degrees normal is 80 degrees. To the left I only have 32 degrees. I'm trying to increase my range but the left side sucks!

I avoid the highway too but I do take it sometimes and my back hates it. I'm trying to learn to lift my hip and push from my hips instead of from my lower back. I hope I master the hip turn. Fun Fun
  • Hi again.

My lumbar surgery went well and I seem to be healing nicely. But the comparison between the two is a big difference. I told my surgeon's PA, at my last pre-op visit, that I anticipated that the two would be similar as far as healing because my cervical was a 3-lvl and my lumbar is a 1-lvl. He said it doesn't work that way and that the lumbar will be a much more difficult recovery than the cervical surgery.

He was absolutely right. This lumbar surgery, the two weeks following, and the recovery up until now is by far much more difficult than the cervical surgery. I'm not sure if my TLIF was a bit more difficult because I had my facet joints fused and they had to cut out more bone than expected to relieve the stenosis vs. having a disc fusion, but I can tell you that it's a much longer road.

I hope you can continue to keep those discs in place with your exercises.

It's interesting how different people are with ROM after an ACDF. My biggest problem is leaving my neck in one position for too long. Look down is my most limited (I can't hold a pair of slacks with my chin to my chest when putting them on a hanger), looking up is a little less limited but hurts, and both my left and right, I can turn my head until my chin is about 2 inches short of being above my shoulders.

I'm sorry, I don't remember and it's not in your personal medical history area - what levels did you have fused (I believe it was the same as mine, C4-7, right), and are completely fused at all three levels?

Take care Lynn and please keep us posted.
  • Sorry to hear the lower back surgery is tougher. I didn't think anything could be tougher!

I will take good care of my lower back. It is feeling better since I started to get more aggressive with my stretching. As I said before they are not herniated so I have a good chance of avoiding surgery but I have to really work at it. ugggg

I had 4/5 5/6 and 6/7 fused. I can see up well because I have such a long neck. Looking down is as ridiculous as it seems for most.