Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery Or Not?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My MRI, osteomyelitis with destruction Of C6 Onto C7 with Impingement due to infection. Forward tilt of head causing some discomfort from straining back neck muscles, (kyphosis) Occasional dizziness, unsteady gate at times, weirds shocks/tingling at times. Hyperreflexia in legs according to Neuro. Legs dont feel heavy but sometimes slow. Fatigue that comes and goes day to day. One Surgeon wants to fuse 3 levels, (corepectomy c6-c7 with hardware etc) another said he would split the 2 (c6/c7), put in a plug and do 1 level fusion (acdf). Insurance only will allow Surgeon #1 at this time (other is out of network). 1. Why the difference in fixing said problem? 2. What would you do? Any advice, support etc ? Should I wait since symptoms are random. I was also blasted for 16 weeks of antibiotics including Levaquin that causes tendon issues. Thanks!

• HI Flipper and welcome to the spine boards :)

Sorry you are having these major issues.

I am not of any help to you, but I did want to stop by and say "hi" :H

I am sure more members will stop in and lend you a hand.....
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Sounds like you've had a rough time.

I can't offer any advice, but I would suggest is that you read the forums and see the pros and cons of the surgies suggested to get a better feel of what you are up for.
    Also there has been a lot of discussion lately regarding putting surgies off when impingement is involved, i'd take a look around, just type key words in the search function.
    also make sure you read the FAQ's at the top of the page and the Announcements forum at the bottom of the page.
    There are quite a few people here who will be able to help you.
    Good luck.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    in fixing the problem. Forget for a moment that the other doctor is out of network and your insurance wont cover it (But even out of network surgeons, most insurance companies provide up to 70%)

I would see another opinion. I assume you have all the diagnostic test results.

We have seen a number of members here who have had 3 level surgeries. Use the search facility to find some other posts

Take a look at some of the Spine-Health articles
    Spinal Surgery
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Get a copy of your insurance plan to see what your in-network and out-of-network costs would be. I did choose the specific surgeon I was most comfortable with even though he was out of network. They agreed, pre-surgery, to accommodate me financially with limiting what I would have to pay to them.

As for the different opinions, that's not uncommon. It's got a lot to do with what method the surgeon prefers. If you've only seen Neurosurgeons, then perhaps a consultation with an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon. I've had 5 spine surgeries and all by an OSS. I personally have had luck with each OSS I've used (1 in IL and 2 here in AZ)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos