Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

l5-s1 fusion ? BROKE

aliciav78aaliciav78 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Ok I had a lower lumbar fusion done Monday 3 1 10. I was doing great until this weekend. I did some bending and a small amount of twisting. I was not thinking. I dont have increased pain, but I do get these sharp little pains in my back. The last about 1 second. What are the signs of it has become broken? Would I know?? Please help as I think I may of messed up my new 90k back... Alicia

• This is a good example why some surgeons still insist that their patients wear back braces.

Do you have instrumentation? If so, chances are good that you are OK. The hardware is designed to withstand quite a bit of impact...but a screw can still pop loose when there is no bone to support it yet.

Call your surgeon to be on the safe side and be careful from now on!! NO bending, twisting, or reaching up or to the side for at least the first three months!!
  • I'm thinking it's possible that you're having muscle spasms - that's very common after spine surgery. Have you tried taking muscle relaxers?

With that said, it's never a bad idea to call your surgeon when you're concerned about something.

• Thanks All.. I talked to him ( my surgon) and he said I am OK, but dont do any more.. Now I read no reaching?? The only thing I remember him saying is no bending twisting and lifting.. I am only 31 and I need this to work as I am a single mom of a youngster.. I try and not so anything that will break this... I have a new ? I quit smoking but have slipped up and had a few, I plan on throwing them out again today.. Do people really think it can make a fusion fail?? What are your thoughts???
  • Aliciav78

I had my fusion 360 on L5-S1 on 3,3,10. so far so good. Every day i am feeling better. I am also 31 and have 4 boys. I am trying to take it easy getting really board. SO i too smoked and stopped a week before but have been slipping the whole time i never smoke more then a hit or a half of one a day but it is so hard at 5pm for me i go crazy i am good all day but for that time. I know that i have to stop for the fusion to take cause smoking takes all the good stuff out of the bones and it wont fuse but it is hard and i think you know that so what do we do? How do we stop?
  • I also had a TLIF at L5-S1, with instrumentation on 2/2/10. I'm wondering if you got a brace after surgery? My doctor did not give me a brace after surgery and I was very careful, I thought, to do no BLT. At my first follow up on 3/4, the xrays showed the top 2 screws seemed to have moved a tiny bit. I was given a brace. I hated it at first but really wish I had had it right after surgery. It really does remind you not to BLT and helps to prevent it. I feel more comfortable walking around when I have the brace on and find it easier and less stressful to do my walking.

I also was a smoker and had just cut down from a pack and a half a day to about 5 per day as of the date of surgery. My doctor prescribed Wellbutrin for me on the date of surgery. It has helped tremendously. I won't lie and say I haven't slipped and had one here and there since surgery, usually triggered by a stressful situation, but the medication has helped. I don't obsess all day about smoking. You might want to check with your doctor and see if they think you might benefit from something like Wellbutrin or Chantix. I know how hard it is to quit and kick myself anytime I slip up.

Wishing you both good recoveries and best of luck with the smoking.
  • In case you are unaware, there is a section for help to stop smoking. Yes, it does make a difference if you smoke. Many studies show slower bone growth from smoking and most Nsaids.

I quit smoking in 1987, it can be a long and torturous road, but well worth the trip. Wellbutrin and there are some others now that help, ask you doctor. Since you're trying to fuse, I would expect he would be pretty helpful in getting you some help with this!

Take care and best of luck to you, don't forget to look at your kids and remember they want you to quit too! Any thing you can think of can be used to help you just not do it! Depending on how you are dependent on cigarettes rules how long it takes you to really shake the habit. The actual physical stuff is supposed to be gone in 24 hours, your mind will tell you different.
  • your bending over after just 2 weeks??wow......i spent 3 months in a hosp bed in my living room,im 8 months post op after lumbar fusion and still recovering,good luck and listen to your doctors,if not youll be going thru this again,no one here wants to see that happen.
    J smith