Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF Surgery with bone graph

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had ACDF surgery with bone graph c5-6c6-7 november of 2009.Im not better still in pain ,bad neck head an on left side arm pain ,hand cant control movements, on left arm an fingers.I had an EMG test 3days ago an a mri 3d scan.The doctor told me c7 an c6 badly damaged .I meet with surgen in 2 days ..Im scaried!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAS anyone been threw this?I dont know what to do!!!!!!!!

• It is not fun. I have good days and bad days, but when I use my right hand I get horrible pain in my shoulder and back. My entire right side still goes numb. i feel the same as before surgery except that now when I move my neck it tightens up. I know it takes time to heal so I am hoping that maybe my c7 nerve will wake up!!! Good Luck to you!

• Hi Lilly :H Gosh I feel SO bad for you :(

I can not help you ( sorry ) but I am sure that some more experienced members will log on and see this post and be able to offer you some help :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hi,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. It sounds as though they think you have a case of psuedoarthrosis(sp). But till you speak to the doctors you won't know for sure. But if there is a problem still with that level it will indeed cause pain. If you have a issue with the fusion itself they would be seeing it now or if the graft and or hardware moved. Typically if there is a problem and they need to redo the fusion it is done from the posterior(back) side of the neck. Please wait to speak with your doctor and see what they say first. I don't want to speculate as what could be wrong. I have had the revision surgery and it is no walk in the park but not horrible either. I have been through neck surgery multiple times so I would be willing to help you anyway I can, don't hesitate to pm me. You might want to check out the FAQ section and the questions about meeting with a spine surgeon. Formulate a list of questions before hand and it is always nice to take someone else along with you to hear anything you may miss. Having the list of questions ready will keep the meeting on track and you have some solid knowledge. Anyway I just wanted to stop by and welcome you to spine-health and please keep us posted.
  • Thank you for telling me about your experiences - I go tomorrow to see my neurosurgeon. I know for sure that I have to have surgery - Ijust don't know what kind of surgery and I don't know my options yet (I should find out everything tomorrow's appointment) - I will update everyone with what he says at my appointment. f anyone out there that has had c7/c6 severe nerve damage as indicated from the results of a EMG test, could you please let me know your expeience and your situation and outcome. I am very depressed about needing another surgery....thanks lilly :-)
  • lillywants life back said:
    I had ACDF surgery with bone graph c5-6c6-7 november of 2009.Im not better still in pain ,bad neck head an on left side arm pain ,hand cant control movements, on left arm an fingers.I had an EMG test 3days ago an a mri 3d scan.The doctor told me c7 an c6 badly damaged .I meet with surgen in 2 days ..Im scaried!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAS anyone been threw this?I dont know what to do!!!!!!!!
  • Lilly
    Living in no pain is the objective of all here and the second best option if we had a choice is to have reduced pain or more control. Anyone’s evidence even if they followed you similar circumstance are not you and on the basis that our ingoing conditions are all different no similar outcome is possible.

Perhaps you are asking what to do next or the options, living and surviving chronic pain takes time and patience, we have to give yourself encouragement to learn these new skills as everyday really is a new one. Ms HD is correct in saying that we can only offer support and encouragement to imply we have the power to change your circumstance would be remiss of us and not something to be encouraged.

Your premise that we all want our life back is a poignant reminder even for those who like me have lived 20 years with my condition, have that understandable thought if not achievable desire. We should carry that reasonable hope within in us, we all worry and have had similar events and circumstance to make those difficult decisions and have trust in that leap of faith into the unknown, it is normal to be concerned I would worry more if you were not.

You now have experience of disappointment and that is hard for anyone to accept or adjust as the fight continues, let u know how you meeting went and what the neurosurgeon said, then you may be able to move forward from a known and recent evaluation with all the evidence to make an informed decision.

Take care and good luck.

• I sure hope you get something to work from at this appointment. I am just 2 1/2 days out from my ACDF, feel like I have been run over by a big truck, but immedietely got some return of feeling in my forearm. No movement has returned in the fingers but I am not rushing anything.

I can tell you I didnt have such a great result from my Lumbar PLIF in 9/08, I am still in constant pain, everything is stable, but I will likely never get away from pain management, assisted devices, etc.... I am looking at getting a SCS and a pain pump, it was supposed to happen this month but the ACDF pushed it back a bit.

The best we can hope is for a stabilization in our conditions and slow progression and just being able to work thru it all with our sanity intact. I do what I need to do to keep working, but understand it wont last for long. My family takes the brunt of it, my 12 year old daughter always worries I will not be OK, I think getting them some one to talk to as well can be benificial (not sure by your picture if you have little ones or not). OK, SOrry, I think my meds are talking for me. I sure hope your appointment today goes well, we will all be waiting to hear what they have to say.

Big hugs,
  • SHELL74, hi i wanted to thankyou for shareing your story with me.Im mad at myself for being so negative,i was told i need surgery cause on my c7 disk fusion had grown to much bone,,an blocked my c7 nerve.im still scaried cause its higher risk for damage to spine.I was told i have to stay 24 hours due to pain,he started to tell me that he will scew 2 holes on each side of my head to hold a hailo .Ive never heard of this before but he said its just there for surgery to pull up spine so he can see to get bone spur off my nerve.I have 2 girls one is 10 yrs an the other is 15yrs,i love my kids both of them an along with my husband have been so good to me.I miss my job i use to take care of poeple with all kinds of different needs like cancer, ms an elderly all ages.I didnt make much but the great feeling i get to but a smile on someone face that is fighting for there life ,an they say i missed u yesterday its not the same .Thanku for your kindness .Thats why i was angry for this second surgery,i hate needed help i feel im the one that gives help an baths feeds listens to the poeple i take care of.After my acdf surgery the place i worked for let me go,i cryied,,i was there for 10 yrs,Im 35 yrs old an i will get threw this,i have alot to live for.Im glad i found this site you an so many others have been so kind ,,Thank you for listening an im here for u just as well. >:D<