Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lynettellynette Posts: 217
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,I never really had the chance to post a full story of my experience of my fusion in NYC. Now I cansit up a little longer I will fill you in more on my experience.

I had to arrive at 6am for 8 am surgery. Everything went very smoothly for the admission process. Like clockwork they tookme in to the pre op area where did vitals had someone scrub me, iv nurse started my iv and the the parade of Dr.s the PA, the internist, the anesthesia, the vascular surgeon and then the spine surgeon. No one was rushed, very professional an answered all questions. Family was always nearby taking turns coming in. Everything was very neat tidy and all professionals paying attention to good aseptic technique.dont remember much from the or except big room lots of people.

I guess was in surgery about 6hrs woke up smoothly no nausea, no sore throat, i still remember thinking I can't abelieve I dont even have a sore throat. I guess that was about 3pm, they kept me there till 11pm then went to my room.

the nursing care was tremendous. your pain was managed by a pain team and they visited 1-2 times a shift and made any adjustments, even the nursing assistants were great, always there turning cleaning me up(of coarse I got my period in recovery room which they say is very common)I had a catheter,oxygen, drain from my back incision, compression stockings, pain pump

moved smoothly from cl liquids to full on end of day 2 but adidn't have much of an appetite. The dilaudid made me itch terrible so they gave me benadryl but it just sedated me too much. Pain pump out on am of day 3 and then they take out the cathater and oxygen,the pa's changed the dsgs and took out the drain. My surgeon did see me everyday too. Ihad the some nurses almost every day so had great continuity of care, even the charge nurses would pop in sometimes and make sure everyting was going ok.
I can't say enough about the place and how professional and caring everyone was. It was just a different level of care.

The ride home was rough but I had already posted on that!!
I think I already feel the release of my legs not feeling like they are in lockdown. The only thing differnt I feel is I have a left foot that seems to be warmer than the other but I expect to have some of those altered nerve issues for a while. The surgeon said that my disc space was collapsed and shifted and he lifted it 1cm and now just hope for all the best fusion from this point.

If anyone has any questions on this hospital or physican feel free to PM me. Lynette

• thank you for taking the time to post this. Very detailed and such a great way for people to feel some comfort in knowing what to expect.

I know each surgery can be different but sounds like you had the "model" team. Congrats on being on this side.

Gentle hugs and best wishes on continued positive recovery!
  • Isn't it great that you were looked after so well - makes all the difference after major surgery.

I had a similar hospital experience here in Perth, Western Australia.

Sounds like you're 1 cm taller now !!

Keep resting and getting well again.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Good for you! The 360 is the most difficult. and you seem to be doing great! It dose help to have such a wonderful staff. Keep posting your progress.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I also forgot to mention PT. They were there to dangle in am of day 2 and in the evening you were up and walked to door and then just progressed every day.They came 2x a day and then the aids would get you up in evening.

also even the bowel regime they started on day 2, I forget exactally which one they started with but they added one different one a day colace 3x a day senna 1 or 2 a day then MOM, I still had not went before I had left but I did go yesterday and was easy and no straining.

I think I will be on my own most of today, did shower my self yesterday but will only do when hubby is around, same with walking outside ,could do by myself but will wait till hubby around.

Also for got to mention my incisions, my abdomen one is 3 1/2" horizontal half way between bellybutton and pubic bone and to the L side of bellybutton, also have a tiny incision over R hipbone from bone marrow aspiration, and the back incision is about 4 1/2"(hen did go in through the microdiscectomy scar)

Taking Narco 7.5 2 tabs for pain every 4-5 hrs and seems to be holding me well, but I was not on any narcotic pain meds prior to surgery. I think that makes a big difference cuz when I went into my microdiscectomy in such a acute inflammed status I did not do as well. Thanks for reading and your support and hope that it can be helpful for someone. Lynette
  • Yay! You are doing so well and I am so happy for you!! I'm sure that your experience is very calming for others!

I am in awe and a little envious of how small your insicions are. I know we are different levels, but it really is a big difference. I also had decompressions, but it seem as if that would make the difference! oh well!

I hope your week continues on the wonderful path you are on! Congrat's, congrat's! hugs xxxx Shari
  • I am soo happy for you that your surgery went so well and you are on your way to recovery you take it easy and don't over do it ok. God bless you.