My back is screwed up.
Went and got an MRI. Looks like my L5-S1 is pretty well herniated/torn open. My doctor (orthopedic surgeon) said he wants to try one epidural injection, and after that, sees a microdiscectomy in my future. Questions for you all:
1. What is the point in getting the ESI? If I'm lucky, it will give me some, possibly short term relief? Why bother? I'll have to pay it out of pocket, since my insurance deductible is $2500. How much will it cost me? Is it even worth it?
2. Physical therapy was ruled out. Doctor said it is a waste of time and money. Is this true? I have heard great success stories with PT. He did say however there is a chance the extrusion may be reabsorbed over time. Has this ever happened to anyone?
3. I am going to another doctor (Neurosurgeon) for a second opinion. If surgery is unavoidable, should I choose him to do it or the Ortho?
4. How painful is an ESI. I'm a huge wuss and pretty terrified of the pain.
5. Anything I need to know going into all of this form anyone who has been there.
I'm really afraid. I've never had any other health problem and this is a lot to take in. Thanks all.