Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lyrica/neurontin taken with a pain medication??

gwennie17gwennie17 Posts: 2,957
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have read from several members that they have had some luck taking either Lyrica or Neurontin for nerve pain when they take it at the same time with a pain medication.

I've taken Lyrica three or four different times and never had much benefit from it. I've never tried it with any type of pain meds.

If anyone sees this post, please tell me what pain med you were prescribed at the same time with the meds for nerve pain.

What, in your experience has worked.

• successful with roxicodone 15 mg and 100 mg Lyrica 3 x daily. I have an SCS now and am working on taking less roxicodone. Mine is for lumbosacral neuritis and sacroiliitis. Definitely when I need to get flat from pain and or exhaustion, I take the Lyrica with the roxicodone and a baclofen, too. Then I listen to guided meditation on my IPod.

Hope this helps-
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    I am currently taking:

1 - Neurontin 300mg (2) twice a day (16:00 and 22:00
    2 - Soma - 350mg 4 x day
    3 - Opna - 5mg PRN

My doctor told me that there is no concern for taking the above mixture. I've been doing this for almost 2 years now (Prior it was a higher total dosage of Neurontin and I was using Oxycontin and Oxycodone
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I think the most Lyrica I ever took was 75mg twice a day. Maybe that's why it never helped!

But when I tried to increase the dosage, my foot and leg started to swell.
  • with oxycodone. When I really needed it, it worked wonders for me. That horrible burning pain in my leg went away.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Gwennie, I think I too need some type of nerve medication. When I spoke to my surgeon yesterday.(After leaving messages for 6 days) He said no changes to my meds now and just up my PT. I wanted to scream at him. But I know that will get me NOWHERE! Sigh. I hope we can both find some relief.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Gwennie, I started with 75mg 2x day. No problem with thata, but not a lot of help either.
    My surgeon increased that to 150mg 2x day. A couple of days after that< I was always exhaustive, I could fall asleep in the middle of a conversation and from my knees down there was a lot swelling. My toes looked like sausages.

As soon as I back off that dosage, all the negative effects
    went away. I switched to neurontin and have had zero problems, and good results
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Ron,

One of my friends who sufferes from fibromyalgia had the same symptons as you, with Lyrica. Swelling and exhaustion. She is now on Neurontin and doing much better with it. She takes it with Demerol for breakthrough and says it works great for her.

• I've been taking 1,200mg neurontin (gabapentin; UK) for over 2 years and have often wondered where this swelling's come from (although I should've known, I didn't!)

Thank you.
  • I've tried several different meds. What seems to work best for me is neurontin with cymbalta, mobic, and tramadol. My doctors have said this is a great concoction. I start thinking it doesn't work and go off of one of the pills and find out real quick that it was working. If I could tolerate higher dosages of the meds, it would give me better relief. The neurontin, cymbalta and mobic are supposed to be a great combination, and we added the tramadol with me. Hope that helps with your research.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Hi Gwennie,

This is different, your always helping me with your wealth of information. Your so great at that, and so good at giving support. So it seems the least I can do is to help you with my experience with nerve pain meds. I may not be the wealth of info you are, but I'll give it a shot! LOL!

I have tried several different types of anitconvulsants, pain meds, and a tricyclic to help my nerve pain. My current medications have been the best combo I have ever taken for nerve pain. And do I know nerve pain. When you can take the tip of a fishing pole, and lightly hit your legs with it to break up the nerve conduction. You know nerve pain. Funny thing is, my Physiatrist had heard of other people doing similar things.

I'm very lucky in the fact that I don't experience bad side effects, and if I do their generally mild and don't last long. He currently has me on 25mg of methadone, 3600 mg of neurotin, darvacet as needed for break-thru pain, 150 mg of amitripylin, and 2400 mg of advil. I was slowly worked up to 3600 mg of neurotin. My first nerve medication was lyrica, and I took 300 mg a day. This med didn't do anything for me, so I was switched to neurotin. I started out with 900 mg, and that did not help. As the amounts went up, I noticed that my nerves settled down, but the burning was still there. That's when amitripylin was introduced, and that helped with the burning and also helped me sleep. Away went the fishing pole, and replaced by the elusive sleep.

Then I was switched from percs to 15 mg of methadone, and darvacet. I was still taking to much daracet, so he upped the methadone 5 mg at a time. This has work pretty well, and I have lowered my need for darvacet. According to my dr, and several medicine research sites methadone is one of the only pain med that is shown to help nerve pain. All I know for sure is that I can function, and do more now then I have been able to do in over 3 yrs. I don't get that euphoric tired feeling. I've been able to do so much that I'm scarring my mother. LOL!

What I a wonderful feeling these last couple months have been for me. I have some freedom back, and I'm not in bed 18+ hrs. a day. I'm not saying this is the right combination for everyone, and everyone needs to find what works for them. Discuss it with your doctor, and work together to find what works for you. This has just been my experience. I've talked with other who have tried some of these meds, and they had adverse reactions to them. Every ones different!

Bobbi Jo

• It took the pins and needles pain way down took with vicodin some times but amplified the effects the first time I though I oded on the vicodin
    I had treble side effects with the nerrottin ya rotten I felt like I was on a boat all the time I wood get car sick as soon as the car started moving but the pain relief was worth it
    I quit taking it the day of my serg and hope I never have to take again
    it did work for the nerve pain though I think if I had been on it longer I prob could have found a happy balance or the right dosage
  • I have the metabolism of a horse it seems at times. Currently I am taking 4800mg of Neurontin a day with 28mg of Zanaflex a day. For several years I took 4800mg Neurontin along with large doses of Oxycontin, Oxycodone, Percocet and Baclofen all at the same time. It's all what the body gets used to and can tolerate. Over several months I would also be titrating other medications up or down in order to replace one with another. It was quite the balancing act.

One big factor in all of it, is staying well hydrated. Especially with Neurontin, it is a medication that really screams out for the user to stay hydrated. By doing so, it is easier to control the food craving that Neurontin can bring on and also eliminate/reduce swelling issues.

• I was taking Lyrica 75mg twice daily, but like you, my legs would swell and they felt like tournquets around my ankles. I stopped the Lyrica for 2 weeks. Started Lyrica once/daily, and now take the following:

Darvocet 3x day
    Skelaxin 2x day
    Lyrica 75mg 1x day

• I was on lyrica 900mg day but had side effects. One PM Dr. recommended Cymbalta instead of lyrica and have been taking that for a year and it's used for nerve pain. It works for sciatica in my leg. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I used to take Lyrica with Percocet and this combination helped the nerve pain and fracture pain I experience with my chronic tailbone fractures. I was switched to Neurontin and it works just as well as the Lyrica did. (My PM doctor switched me over to Neurontin, due to swelling in my fingers. I still have swelling in my fingers, but it doesn't bother me).

Since having a set of sympathetic nerve blocks for my tailbone pain, I am taking the Neurontin only at night to control my nerve pain. I have noticed a decrease in swelling since making this adjustment.

Like "C", I find myself needing to make adjustments with the times I take my medications and figuring out the best combinations to take... every couple of weeks.

• I'm more than happy to be at your service since you are so so kind and so helpful with all your advice.

Well, when I started taking pain meds they had me on only 200mg of Neurontin because any higher made me feel robotic, like I was on autopilot and it also messed with my stomach. It wasn't near enough to help with my sciatica. I was also on Norco 10/325mg every 4 hours, Soma.

I went on to Fentanyl 100mcg every 2 days(started at 25mcg 1 yr ago), Cymbalta, Zanaflex, Percocet 10/325 every 4 hours.

Today I'm on Cymbalta, just started Lyrica 2 75mg at bedtime, Oxycodone 15mg every 6 hrs, and 3mg of intracecal Dilaudid in my pain pump a day, continuous infusion. BTW I weaned off Methadone which I took as an ER medication. So far I'm doing well with the Lyrica with no major side effects except tiredness that should improve in time.

Hope this helps, Hugs Meydey
  • I was given Lyrica the first time when I left the hospital after my PLIF at L4-5. I took it for about 4 months and then stopped because I didn't think it was doing anything. In hindsight, it was doing something...just not enough to suit me.

Maybe you need to start up with a PM and specifically tell him/her about your nerve pain if your surgeon isn't any help.
  • Lots of interesting combinations. This should give my doctor some new options to think about if/when I decide I want to resume one of these meds for nerve pain.

I'm still hoping to have surgery one of these days.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I am on Neurontin and have been since about a week before surgery. I am taking it while also on Opana ER and Vicodin. For about a month post op I was on MS Contin instead of Opana, but may go back to MS Contin as it's sooooo much less expensive.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Hi Gwennie

When I was in the hospital I was on Fentanyl and Neurontin. Once I was off the Fentanyl, I was on Oxycodone, Oxycontin and Neurontin.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008