Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

update- IME-check this out

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So I just left the IME;what a joke!!! First he asks me why my doc hasn't sent me back to work then performs his 5 minute exam. I explain to him the my doc has me wearing a brace on my right ankle because its weak and Ive rolled it a couple of times(my doc says its the beginining of drop foot). He checks my reflexes and then checks my right ankle and leg. Then he asks me if I drove myself to his office which is about 45 minutes away from my house? I told him yes and he said I really shouldn't be driving and says that he is going to request that I have a EMG done. Then he proceeds to stick his thumbs in my back and I could have punched him in his head!!!! It literally brought tears to my eyes and he didnt even say anything but that I would get his report in a week. What an ASS!!!! I was left alone in the office crying trying to pull myself together so I could leave the whole time thinking how he can tell me I shouldnt be driving but Im good enough to return to work!!! I stopped at my husbands work in tears and he also wanted to punch him in the head for making me cry!!!

• sounds like going to a fast food restraint
    i think docs that treat back problems should have to have an elect cord plugged into their as@@@@@@@@@@ for a couple weeks to see what it is really like
    and quacks like the one u went to should not be docs and prob couldn't if it wore not for gov or insur not sending him people to torture pi%%%s me off to i wood like to punch him in the head for you --maybe his report will still be in your favore good luck
  • Im 21 and I seen a IME about 3 months ago right now. He basically said theres nothing wrong with me and I can go back to work. The thing that really frustrated me the most was when he told me to stand up and bend over to touch my toes. Ok! that was bs for him to say that because he never reviewed my MRI or any other records. My attorney more less said there was nothing he could do with that huh? Law makers/courts in America need to address the IMEs pronto. Another thing is that he said I just have a low back strain? I have 1 herniated disk, 1 bulged disk, facet arthrosis on 3 levels, and a retro on l5-s1. Its quite said that are society has come to this point- IMEs, Private investigators are all pretty bogus to me. I hope you broght a voice recorder to your exam. IMEs are liers and will try anything to screw you out of your recovery.
  • My agency (law enforcement) directed me to a Fitness for Duty Exam with their IME. I have to admit that I did go into the exam with a bit of a chip on my shoulder, as I heard similar stories to what you all are saying. Well, I have to say for *my* experience, it was 180 degrees from many I have heard about!

He was very thorough, and professional. The scary part? His findings pretty much echoed that of my NS and the condition of my spine as well as near and far prognosis. Yes he is paid for my my agency, no I don't have "doctor / patient" confidentiality etc., but I can't complain of this doctor or his treatment of me. His exam was very detailed, his demeanor was sincere and professional. His physical exam especially encompassed much of determining whether I could/can continue in my job (law enforcement and pilot) as well as "reasonable accommodation possibilities" (none in my job). I ended up leaving feeling this became a "agency paid" second opinion.

Sorry to hear many of you have negative results with your IME's, but some of us (the IME exam) echo's our own doctors diagnosis, so wanted to share that view point. Take care all!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I've been to quite a few of these "exams" now between my daughter and myself. Yes I tend to have that chip on my shoulder. It's normal to get defensive when you are going to see someone who wants to take something away from you. That's what they get paid to do. Some are good and honest and some are hacks!!

My good experience was a neurosurgeon IME two weeks after surgery. Even the doc asked why I was there so soon. Apparently the insurance company schedules these based on when you see a doctor not what is being done. This guy was very good and thorough. He only touched me to do the sensation tests with the paperclip. And he dictated his whole report while I was there and asked it I wanted to add anything.

The worst was an ortho IME for my daughter. It was an IME mill. About 40 people called for the same time and it wasn't even the doctors office. Just an office he rented from a pediatrician when they were closed. The doctor didn't speak english. My daughter has neck spasms so he measures ROM and says shes fine. Now I have to fight to get her benefits reinstated.

So there is good, bad and everything in between. Just remember the doctor does not have the right to do anything you feel will hurt you. The first time he touched your back you should have told him to stop. If the insurance company has a problem you tell them that it hurt and that if he did anything that caused pain or damage you are suing them.

My insurance carrier told me that I should send a letter to them if I had an IME where I felt there was something wrong with the doctor. They use agencies to schedule these and they said they need to know if there is a problem. It also looks better if you say something before the doctor issues a bogus report. So newhouse get writing.