Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need a Japanese bidet/blower toilet because I cant' twist to wipe

blackberrybunnybblackberrybunny Posts: 157
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Water Cooler
Hi gang. I'm going to be really frank here with you guys, ok? Here goes: Because of my lumbar ruptures, sometimes it is VERY difficult for me to, um, ::blush:" alt=":blush:" height="20" />: wipe myself, while on the toilet. Either way, front or back. I don't know what to do about this. Mom suggested putting one foot on the tub, but this is painful for me as well. It's the twisting motion. If anyone has had experience with this, and found a 'fix' for it, please let me know!

What I really wanted to post about is what I think would be the perfect solution for my problem. Have you ever been to Japan? Most toilets are warmed, and each has it's own built in bidet and air dry blower, with many buttons for many options. You never had to use paper to twist and wipe anymore! I have watched numerous youtube videos about these toilets. Now I want one. It would help me out SO much. If you have lumbar problems, maybe you can understand!

They are easy to hook up, and they plug into a wall socket for the warm part. This would not be a problem for me the way my bathroom is set up. The problem is, WHERE can I buy one? It's not like they sell them at Lowe's!!

I cant't read Japanease and so I don't know where to find an American online retailer where I can buy one. I think they must go for about $400, but this would be so worth it to me! Can you guys help me out? I really want one.

• I've seen them there but they're costly.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Don't feel "alone"...I've often thought it would be neat to have one too (even though I USED to think they were "gross", lol).

I do know that they sell them in the US, and that you can get them shipped from overseas (I watch a LOT of HGTV & have seen them used in bathroom renovations quite often actually). I couldn't tell you where to look, aside from eBay, which I'd be leery of anyway b/c you'd likely be buying overseas (perhaps you can find one in the US?). Maybe Lowe's or Home Depot could special order you one? Can you contact a local plumber & ask? There's gotta be a way to get one! In fact, I just did a Google search for "purchasing a bidet in the United States" & it came up with many websites (even some "bidet attachments" that you hook to your existing toilet...I'm going to look into that since I rent & doubt my landlord will change out my toilet-tho he might if I take the bidet with me when I move...). Anyhoo-why don't you try doing a search like that and see what you can find? You might even try substituting "in the United States" with "in ...." (whatever State you live in...I live in Florida so will be searching here locally).

Let us know what you find out, eh? I'm VERY curious-I am often worried about (as the Charmin commercial says) "pieces left behind" b/c I can't twist around like that either! I finally bought those flush-able wet wipes to use, but b/c they're so expensive compared to t.p., and my income has been so low, I only use the wet ones once p/day rather than every wipe, but if I could afford it I would-you still hafta 'get back there', but not so much because they do a really good job, ya know? (even in the shower I use my hand-held to clean back there b/c I can't 'bend over & spread 'em' anymore, *embarrassed too*!)

Keep us posted (if you're too embarrassed about any of the posts, feel free to PM me or email me at: HurtsAllOver@tampabay.rr.com OK?

Take care & good luck!!! :-)

*EDIT* I just found MANY links to places you can purchase both the full on bidets, as well as the bidet kits for a standard toilet in the U.S. I'm worried about putting the links here-not sure if that would be violating the rules or not, but since so many of us have this problem I think it would be OK? Amazon has many of these: http://www.amazon.com/Luxe-MB110-Non-Electric-Mechanical-Attachment/dp/B001KKRCFA/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t and I can't believe the price! Less than $60?!?! With 100+ EXCELLENT reviews & NO bad reviews?? I'm SO getting one!!!! (They have other versions too-take a look) There is also one place in the Google search that specifically states they sell/ship ONLY in the US, and even gives all the environmentally plus reasons why bidets are becoming more popular (no offense but that's the least of my concern-I'm not against saving the earth, but I'm not overly zealous about all this 'green' stuff either). If you do that Google search I suggested, you will see these links on the very first page (and there are MANY pages).
  • but my shower at home has body jets on it and i can get by just with using that .drying off is difficult and sometime my poor wife has to help ..my brother in law how is very disabled {needs 24 hour help with everything] has his own bathroom with all the devises fitted by the insurance company {he was hit by an uninsured driver a few years ago and he has just won a large compensation claim from the UK courts insurance a body set up for innocent people to claim from when they are damage by uninsured drivers] anyway the company that make all his stuff is called grohe showers they make very good stuff.maybe you could look at there website or go to your local bathroom fitters ?
  • Thanks you guys, I'm gonna really start looking for one. I don't actually want the entire bidet--no room for that, and the new plumbing would be a pain. But I THINK the ones they have in Japan is just the seat part and it has the little control panel box on one side, so you can adjust the direction and strength of the flow and the blow, hahahaha. And the seat warms up! Wouldn't THAT be nice!!!

EMTgoneNutz, I live in FL too, north central, about 40 miles north of Gainesville, in Lake City. I have bought jewelry from China, and Hong Kong and a few other SMALL things online through ebay, but like you said, buying something big like this, $$$. So thanks for the Amazon info! I love Amazon!

And Straker, drying off is hard for me too sometimes. Thanks for the Grohe name, I shall look them up! If I find a good deal on a fit on bidet type of device, I'll let you guys know. It seems like nearly every house and public restroom in Japan has these types of toilets---- it even raises and lowers the seat for you I think, so you don't have to touch it, WOW!

Have you guys ever actually USED a bidet before? I never have. I am wondering HOW MUCH of the um, sorry, the poop, it actually gets off? I mean, you know how sometimes its a tough time in the bathroom for you? How much .psi (pressure per square inch!) does this thing have? LOL I might need a really powerful blast of water some days, hahaha.

One thing, ladies, this sure would be nice for that time of the month, don't you think? You can adjust the spray, the position of where it sprays, everything......those Japanese sure are resourceful!! Darnit, I want one!! And after it washes your lady parts, it'll dry them off too! That is so much nicer than tp at that time of the month, don't you think? SORRY FELLAS!!! But hey, we're all adults here, right? ;-) ~Molly
  • OMG EMTgoneNUTZ! I just looked at your amazon link and YES YES YES!!! That is JUST what I'm looking for, sort of. I'm excited now--I hope I can find one with the heated seat, hahahaha. The ones in Japan require you to plug them into a wall outlet, which would work for me, and I guess that is to heat the toilet and run the blower. I have to look now to see if any of these are electric and warm up and have the blower. I'd like the blow-dry part too, LOL!!!

Thanks so much---I don't know why I never thought to look at amazon before. EMTgoneNUTZ, you've saved my day!! ;-) ~Molly

AND I have some Amazon gift certs to use, yipeeeeeeee!
  • If this were me I'd hop in the shower and use a brush of some sort.

good luck
  • I am sending you a pm this is what you wanted

• Hey Painkiller, thanks for the info, but I'd have to win the lottery before I could afford one of theirs, but they are nice!

I found some great products at amazon. Simple kits you just install yourself, for cheap!!! Of course, if you want the heated seat and all, it'll cost ya more, hahaha.

I'm gonna get one from amazon and try it out!

Getting in the shower each time I use the bathroom would be a little inconvenient, otherwise I would. Get me one of them curved toilet brushes and get to scrubbin, eh TeddyDog, LOL? LOL
  • LOL I had to come back to tell you that Hyundai makes some of these bidet seats sold at amazon! I thought they only made cars, hahahah!

Hmmmm....I've been legally blind all my life, never been able to drive; it's all I've ever wanted to be able to do, you know? Maybe now I can finally trick all my friends and say I finally bought a Hyundai!! LOL!!

Wonder if they've got any Mercedes models? LOL
  • Hi BBB :H Here is a rather crude way to get the "job" done very cheap while you wait for the real thing ;)

Hope I explain this right, if you don't understand tell me and I will try again.

Get a old fashion Hot water bottle - fill it up and hang it up higher then your rear end ( I put mine on the shower rod ) then using the douche attachment, open the clamp holding the water back and let it spray.

The enema attachment only has 1 opening, so it is not as effective as the douche attachment.

I had surgery on my anus @) lol and had drain tubes back "there" and could not risk getting an infection from stool in a open wound. This cleaned me really well. Also when I was able I did a better job in the shower by putting a small foot stool in the shower and put one leg/foot up on that and did the same cleaning process, just at a better angle lol ;)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • When I was reading those consumer comments I was AMAZED at how well this thing is supposed to work! They say you can adjust it from a "light stream" to "blow your .... off" pressure, so it MUST be good!

I know what you mean about the warm water/heated seat/blower; BUT, for those of us that can't afford that, I think this is a great option-especially for those of us that live in warmer climates! Our water here isn't even cold out of the ground (cool, at best), so I'm not worried about not being able to heat the water-I think I can manage (just hafta brace myself before that first 'blast', LOL). Now would I want to have just cold water hook-up on one of these if I still lived up in Michigan? Heck no! We had REALLY cold ground water there, so I would definitely recommend getting one that either has the instant heat for the water, or hooks to a hot water line in your plumbing or something for those that live in the colder climates.

I can't wait till I can order one of these-I hope it's still on sale by the time I get some $! I want one so bad, and I hadn't even really thought much about it until you brought this up (in passing maybe, but never seriously) & I surely didn't know about these adapters you can get for your standard toilet! So thanks to YOU Blackberry....guess we helped each other out on this one! :-) (hopefully others too!)
  • Hi MsHumptyDumpty, I like your username--- but sorry you are in such a state!! And you are only 47, a lot of us here are so young still! The footstool in the bathtub, I will have to get one. My mom had surgery on her anus (2 fistulas), so I know what you went thruogh, and to this day they kinda sewed her up a little too tight, and now she has poopin difficulties. But anyways, the water bottle, I know just what you are talking about. You hang it from the showerhead and the gravity makes the water flow out of the tube. Good idea! But I went ahead and bought the bidet yesterday and it was only $38 shipped!

EMTgoneNUTZ, I had an email from Amazon this a.m. saying my order has shipped out, yesssss! Probably I'll get it on Monday. I can't wait!! And I can't believe HOW cheap it was-- for this model. It was an 'introductory' price or something. I got lucky--they only had 2 left, and now I am wondering if there are any of this particular model left. I am SURE they will get more. My order had free S&H so it came only to $38!

I was telling Straker maybe I could make a video of how I install it and what it looks like, hahah, but I'm not sure if this board will let anyone post videos, so I thought maybe I'd put one on youtube.... I just think this would be a very very affordable tool for those of us who can't twist.

I haven't had my multi level fusion yet, but I understand it makes you have less mobility in twisting movement, not so much in bending forward. I think I got it confused, thinking you could NOT bend forward much, but the twisting part is what I read you won't be able to do much. So hopefully, this bidet attachment will help a lot.

I can't wait to let you all know how it works out!
  • And I thought it was just me that had this problem! If not for wet wipes I don't know what I would do! Getting anything new is out of the question for me but would certainly love it!
  • Well, an update: I received the bidet and attempted to put it on myself, which proved to be easy enough, only I needed a rubber washer for the water hose that attached to it. It did come with a washer for the part that attached to the tank, but when I tightened the water line, no washer, and so it sprayed all over the floor. I had to take it all back apart, and get a washer.

THEN I hurt myself again badly this week, and mom had to buy me these handrails for my toilet, so I could just sit and stand from there. Now I've got the rails on but it came with this metal plate that had to be screwed down under the seat screws, and it has this rounded edge to it, so now, there is no room to attach the bidet attachment. Ohhh I wish I could figure out how to get around this! I don't know how to get the bidet AND the rails on there--- I might have to get a walker instead, those kind with the 4 little feet that fold up for storage, and use that instead of the rails. NOT sure how that would work, but the handrails are get. ONLY problem NOW is that I don't have enough room to gosh, this is so embarassing, enough room to work around and get 'back there' to clean myself, so the bidet would REALLY REALLY be a blessing if only I could figure out how to get it on there with the handrails. If I get the folding walker, that MIGHT help me get up and down from the toilet, but not sure yet. If that works, I can take the handrails back off of the toilet and try to attach the bidet again, since I did make it to the store and bought some rubber washers for it.

I wish I could snap a pic and show you guys--- are we allowed to post pics on this forum? Anyone know?
  • Being in the plumbing field, I have installed a few of these in a few buldings......Never got any call backs on them !
    There are a few different manufactures that make these seats, this one is one of the less expensive models out there.
    Your insurance should cover the cost.... if not have your DR write you up a prescription then you can write it of as a medical expense.
    Good luck not a pleasant thing to deal with I'm sure.
  • Thank you for that info, WeakBack! I'll ask my dr. about this!
  • That is too bad that this is happening :(

How did you get hurt again? If you don't mind me asking that is......

Well now see this puts an speed bump in my idea of have a bidet vicariously through you lol ;)

Seriously hope things get better for you soon :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I have pondered my current predicament and wondered how life will go as I age.

If I hurt my left arm I will need one of these bidet do dads...the right one no longer does the needed movements...

If I ever hurt a leg, I already had one knee scoped, I will likely end up in a wheelchair to recover, bummer. No way I could put a crutch under my right arm.

So, I guess I need to get healthier and do it very carefully!

The other part of me thinks that not having to actually wipe, well, how could that be a bad thing :?

EDIT: I missed the post where you said you got hurt again, so sorry, hope you can get back to a place you don't need all the extra "stuff" and quickly!
  • Hi everybody,
    The entire bidet project is on hold until we can figure out how to put it on with the handrails I've got on there now. Mom got me a walker, and thought maybe I could use that instead for the toilet, to get up and down, but that didn't work as well as the handrails. So I want to keep them on there.

I'd still recommend the bidet for anyone-- I'm eventually going to get mine put on somehow--we've just gotta figure out a way. ;-)

I've had a bad week, a lot of pain in the mornings. So I don't think I've actually done anything to hurt myself, I'm just hurting worse in the mornings than ever.