Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

yooperyyooper Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am now 8 weeks post op ACDF of C6-7. :) I have been feeling awesome, back to my normal routine, hardly any pain (just shoulder blade discomfort) and truly thought my prayers have been answered.

I haven't overdone it at all....listened to my body and rested when I needed. I went back to work 2 days a week after being off a month. Last week I had to work full time for a girl who went on vacation. I'm not going to lie....by Friday I was exhausted.

Well...as of last week-end I've been getting quite a lot of head-aches and pain ABOVE the area of my fusion. It wasn't horrific...just felt more like muscle spasms than anything. After my surgery (literally in the recovery room) I was completely free of the numbness, pain, and tingling in my right arm. It was gone instantly.

Yesterday, I noticed that my pinky finger and the outside palm of my hand started to tingle and today it is aching and numb. I do have feeling in it and my arm doesn't hurt (thank goodness!)

What's your thoughts on this? Could something else be going on with another disc? I'm going to see how it goes over the week-end and if it continues I will call my surgeon. I am so bummed. I've been feeling sooooo good. Thought I really had my old life back.

Any thoughts?

Hugs to all.....Tina

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• OMG, that is NOT what I wanted to hear. :( I've been feeling soooooo good. I hope it's a fluke. Thanks for the article, though. If it continues, I am going to insist on another MRI.

• Tina,

I am sorry to see you're having issues after your surgery. You are not alone. About 4 months into my recovery for L4/5 fusion, I started having issues as well. I know we are talking one end of the spine verses the other. But I really believe there are many of us that have the same type of symptoms, just different areas.

Have you had to do any PT? This has become worse after you worked full time? Mine certainly did and I am off work again. Maybe even a new MRI to see what's happening back there now.

I hope you get some much needed relief. This could just be a temporary setback.

Best Wishes,
  • I am so sorry! I am a lumbar spiney,not a neckie,but at 3 1/2 months post op I still get tingly in my leg and foot,and really tired after a day of substitute teaching-I am actually more sore now than when I was housebound.It still takes a long time after the surgery to heal,but please get it checked to make sure everything is ok! Jeannie
  • Could be a few things seperately or combined. First the internal meds may finally be wearing off so you are feeling more surgery site pain. Second you have stepped up your activity so you have to expect to feel it. And third it might be aggrivated nerves.

I went back to work 6 hrs a day at 3 weeks after my surgery. I was tired but felt pretty good. About 2-3 weeks after that I started feeling more tired and achey. Now 3 months post-op my incision area aches pretty bad by night and I am getting the tingles in the fingers on the opposite side.

I've asked the surgeon, neuro and ortho docs and they all say the same thing. Give it time. I think a big part of our problem is that we want to get back to work and get better so fast that we push too much and feel the setbacks.

Check with your doc next week if it still seems bad just to be safe. But don't be surprised when he tells you to just take it easy.

Good Luck