Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Survived a vacation 7 weeks post op 360 lumbar fusion!!

lynettellynette Posts: 217
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone!!

Well I just got back from Charleston and I had a wonderful time visiting my daughter. This is the first time I have been able to travel for a week in 3 yrs! We stayed at the beach and it never rained once. I kept up pretty good. They had great hard wooden beach chairs with pads and umbrellas so I could lie out on my side and be pretty comfortable. I did miss having a few cocktails but couldn't risk that yet! Then town was small so we could walk to breakfast and dinner. We drove to Charleston and I was able to walk and shop cuz there was always somewhere you could stop and have a snack or drink .It is a beautiful city and the homes are amazing.I only had one night I had a problem when I was getting out of bed to go the bathroom I felt something odd in my left lower abdomen below my incision like a burning or tearing and then within a hour or so I had swelling and fullness in the lower left abdomen. I freaked out thinking I really ripped something and it triggered my anxiety and was a wreck all night. I iced all night and took valium and the swelling was better. I don't feel anything now and I did call the surgeon and he said at this late date I couldn't have done anything major so I have no clue what that was all about as long as it's gone!! I return to work monday so I have the rest of the week to recoup!! Hope all is well with everyone. Lynette

• :) :) :) Did you feel like you won the lottery to be able to actually go on vacation? After a year of being stuck in the house with foot issues and sciatica, I was over the moon to be able to get out of the house.

It taught me a lesson to not let a day go by that I don't enjoy whatever I'm doing or wherever I am.

Your vacation sounded just lovely and the fact you were able to do it so recent from surgery is amazing!

Take care of you,

• You are doing so well. I am very happy for you. This goes to show how different everyone heals from surgery. I am still only able to tolerate about and hour or so straight on my feet and then I have to go home. My left leg becomes painful and weak and my back hurts. The thought of returning to work this soon is impossible. Congrats and I am glad you had a nice vacation
  • Judy...yes it did feel like I won the lottery and now I want more!!

Tonya...I could not stand on my feet in one position for very long either. As long as I am moving or sitting I am ok and my job allows me to be pretty flexible and I don't ever really need to stand still for very long. You have to remember you had 2 levels and done posterior approach which is a slower recovery. You will be in the same place as I am just a little slower. both my surgeons told me that posterior is a harder recovery but all will be the same in the end!!! Hang in there!! Lynette
  • I am so glad you enjoyed your vacation to the beach and visiting your daughter. It sounds like it was amazing. Good luck on going back to work. I am sure you will do fine!

Take care,
  • Cool that you were not only able to survive vacation but also enjoy vacation a little bit!

It's nice to get some of the freedom back. I know what you mean about not letting time get away from you. That's my newest goal in life...to stop wasting time on things that don't matter in the big picture of life.
  • We have been holding off booking any sort of holiday because we aren't sure how I will be.
    Not sure if and how far I'll be able to fly, or should we stay in the UK.
    Your post gives me hope :-)
  • back to real life today!! Had my first day at work.OMG I can't believe how brain dead I was. Icould'nt remember half of my passwords, how to work the dam computer program!! It was more mentally draining than anything. The morning was terrible but mainly d/t staffing. I think tomorrow will be better. Lynette
  • Sorry to hear you had a rough first day. Tomorrow will certainly be a better day. :)

• Glad you had a beaut holiday - just a pity that it was spoilt a little with the pain and swelling in your abdomen.

I bet it was such a shock on your first day back at work. I remember when I went back after my first spine surgery, and I felt like I was totally brain dead!

Hope you'll be ok for the rest of the week.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I saw my surgeon for a follow up yesterday.
    He asked me to get on the couch and I couldn't think how to log roll onto that side of the bed. I always get on the other side. I had to try a couple of times, then really think about it. I felt so stupid!!!
    I wonder if they notice that sort of thing often.
  • Jelly that gave me a laugh. Im still smiling..I did the same thing on the PT table..I had to circle it until I got on the side I was use to. My therapist just smiled at me..was prob. thinking..(whats this crazy broad doing?)lol
    I go today and will be getting a TENS unit..hope it helps with the spasms.

Lynette how did your back feel after a full day at work? Did you start back full time? Were you able to get up and move around as you needed to?
  • I couldn't go round the other side because the couch was against the wall. :D