Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

STD/LTD and layoff

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this one. I've worked at my job for almost 6 years now. I had a STD policy which paid out this past January for the three weeks I was out for surgery. I have a LTD policy as well. I would be eligible for another FMLA at the end of June.

At 4 months post-op many of my original symtoms have come back and brought with them some friends. I'm waiting for another CT scan in 3 weeks and will see the surgeon after that. I am guessing that at the least I reherniated and possibly have problems from the pedicle fracture.

My question is what happens if I get laid off before I find out what is going on? Does the STD continue since I had an existing condition? I'm surviving through work but part of me is nervous about the future. Like all companies mine is going through some upheavals. While I don't expect anything immediately you never know.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If you get laid off before you go out on disablity you no longer have any type of coverage. STD and LTD are coverages only available to employees who are in active employment (not for those fired, laid off, resigned, etc).

If you have returned to work after having been out on STD, become disabled again, then you would again go out on STD. All STD plans differ on how much STD you would get, if you became disabled today, given that you've used some this year.

Employers often end disability coverage effective the last day of employment. You'd have to check the plan document under "when coverage ends" or "coverage termination"

If an employee goes out on STD, and is then laid off, in MOST situations STD continues and the employee is eligible for LTD once STD ends or the LTD elimination period is met(time the employee must be disabled before LTD begins).

I went out of work in May of 2009 and my STD began 8 days later. I was laid off in August of 2009, and was still out of work and on approved STD at the time, so my STD claim continued and I was eligible for LTD. I had a 6 week gap between STD and LTD since I had used 6 weeks of STD the year before (my employer offers 26 weeks of STD in any 52 week period). Even though I had the 6 week gap my LTD was approved and benefit payments began 30 days after my LTD was approved. I've been on LTD since November of 2009.

There are many variables in STD and LTD plans, so if you believe you are disabled and a lay off is imminent, consider if STD is appropriate and if your physicians would support STD. Last May I was in the midst of trying to figure out what was going on with my spine. My new spine doc (who I had only seen once at that time) and my pain management doctor (who I had been seeing for over a year) both supported STD. I went out in May of 2009, LTD was approved in November 2009, and didn't have surgery until February of 2010.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
    Duplicate of prior post, sorry
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I knew you would have the answer. I think I will call the surgeons office today to see if I can move my appt up. Over the past three weeks my pre-op symptoms have been returning. Not sure what I would want to do at this point but I need to find out how bad it is. They announced yesterday that a whole dept is being moved to Tx - without the employees.... :(
    I hate to say it but push to be seen and then call in sick to work and if the surgeon agrees there is something going on proceed to STD. If you are not already seeing a Pain Management doctor seek that out right away as well. Do not mention the upcoming layoff to the surgeon or any doctor. You don't want that in your medical records or it looks like that is the reason you saw the doctor when really it's due to return and exacerbation of symptoms. Also, write down exactly what symptoms you've been experiencing, exactly what your job requires, and exactly what you are unable to do in your work and personal life.

Let me know if you have any questions.