Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post discectomy L5

tonysdiscttonysdisc Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in New Member Introductions

I have recently had a discectomy to L5, last Wednesday in fact.

I'm a bit worried to be honest because I am still feeling pain in my hip and buttock! :S

Has anyone had this problem and did it eventually go away?

Cheers T

• Hi there...what did your doctor tell you? I've had 2 microdiscectomies (similar to discectomy but just through smalller incision I believe). Long story short is that you are very soon after surgery so it might take time.

They key would be to follow doctors orders which should include no bending, twisting, lifting. it should also include walking on flat surfaces every 1-2 hours for at least 5-10 mins to keep scar tissue off the nerve.

I suspect you have a follow up with the doctor at the 2-week mark. If not, you should call to ask for one b/c it's important to ensure the incision is healing properly.

As for the pain going away...it can take time. Remember that while the surgery was intended to reduce pain, you did just have surgery so your body needs a few weeks to recover from that 'trauma' too.

I know this is of very little help but wanted to give you some hope that it's early on.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are still not feeling well. i have no answers for you but do hope you are feeling better soon. stop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • I agree with Dnice. I had microd at L3/L4 in December 07. It took a solid year for me to get relief and I got worse before getting better.

I think that recovery time depends alot on how long you had nerve compression before surgery. The nerve will be very irritated and take some time to heal.

The microD did help the pain in my leg (nerve pain) but I do still deal with pain from DDD and facet arthropathy.

Follow docs orders and allow more time for healing. If you are very concerned about the level of pain don't hesitate to call your doc.

Good luck and keep us posted.