Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Management Contract

dustygalddustygal Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi Friends
I am having second thoughts about the Pain Management contract that I signed last Friday. Now, I know that with other contracts you have 72 hours to cancel...any suggestions as to how to go about canceling this contract? I don't want to get in trouble but I have since had reason to believe that this Dr doesn't have my best interest at heart...what do you suggest?

• Dusty,

If your going to see another doctor is not a contract that is carried from pm doc to pm doc. Some Pm docs require them as part of them prescribing you meds. If your not going to return to the doctor I wouldn't worry about the contract. I would think calling and having it taken down will only red flag your name as to why you would have a issue signing it. From my understanding some doctors just do it as part of a protocol thing and may not even carry forward on it. I think you will find many here whom have a contract in place but have never been tested. Is their a specific reason your concerned about signing the contract? You might check around with other pain management clinics and see if they are using them in your area?
  • I am fairly sure it's just a contract between you and that doctor for receiving meds from that doctor. If you don't, it's fine. I had a contract, and no trouble switching docs.
  • I signed a contract with a PM doctor while seeing him to have some ESI's done. I then chose not to continue seeing him as I had to many adverse reactions to the ESI's and that was his specialty. My Physiatrist agreed the ESI's were not in my best interest.

"In my opinion," if the PM doctor is no longer seeing me and prescribing me meds I no longer have to abide by my end of that contract and the contract becomes null and void.

Keep in mind I did have my Physiatrist available to continue prescribing my meds. I would be sure you have someone availble to continue prescribing your pain meds.
  • l saw him for 2 years before my 3rd surgery and now that I have gone back to him I just have a weird vibe about him...I signed the contract but have decided I want to go to someone else so I was afraid of what would happen...Dusty
  • hmm, interesting. I didn't realize you had to sign a contract with a PM doctor. That's sort of crazy but I suspect it's to ensure you agree to take meds as prescribed (nothing more or less).

I don't know legally what to tell you but I would call your general practitioner and ask for advice.

If you opt to contact them, you may want to let them know that you have opted to hold off on Pain mgmt at this time and would like to remove the contract. Tell them that if you decide to pursue it in the future, you'll re-sign.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    A PM contract is quite common. Generally it says you will only get pain meds from that doctor and you agree to be tested on occasion to be sure your system shows usage of the prescribed meds.

If you change PM doctors all you need to do is send a letter to the former PM doctor and say "effective xx/xx/xxxx I will no longer be treating with you and I will be treating with Dr. X"

I did this to cover me on both ends, and cc'd the new doctor. Then the severance of one relationship was clear.

The contracts also, in general, are open to communication to alter some things. Recently I changed pharmacies and I called my PM doctor to let them know which pharmacy I'd be going to and why.

Early on in PM I tore ligaments in my ankle while out of town on a weekend. I went to Urgent Care, got treatment, filled a pain prescription and then just notified my regular PM doctor of what occurred and gave him contact info for the Urgent Care. Not a problem

Was there something specific in the contract that really had you concerned?
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • The first PM dr. I ever saw e-mailed me the contract they used. It was the first experience I had ever had with feeling like a drug abuser. It said that they would never under any circumstances fill a prescription early, would not refill via phone, would not fill a lost prescription, etc- it went on to list a million things I'd never even considered. I'd been with Kaiser and since they are linked and I used their pharmacy, I could always get my meds when I needed them. In fact, I got 90 days at a time, because my doctor always knew exactly when I was filling them.

Anyway, OP, I know how you feel. I never went back to that doctor, it was the worst contract. The next doc had a much better contract, and this doc has none at all. So it isn't a given.

I forgot to call the most recent doc when I switched and did not have an issue. I did not overlap prescriptions, though, and I found out here that the pharmacy sends reports to the prescribing physicians. I didn't refill until I needed them. But I'm on vicodin, which is a different schedule than the meds some people are on.
  • If you already have a script out from this guy, you are going to have to wait for that script to expire before changing up Dr's. I am sure, just like the one I signed, it says you only receive meds from him, fill at the same pharmacy every time yadda yadda yadda.

Your med contract is only valid while you have scripts. As soon as you don't, you are free to choose another Dr.
This discussion has been closed.