Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

9 months post Fusion

MLT01MMLT01 Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Hi Everyone!

I'm nine months post ALIF/PLIF..I have been having a difficult time with swelling in my feet..I wake up in the morning with swelling in my toes along with numbness.

Most concerning is the weakness in my legs. My knees feel like they are going to buckle.I can't stand for a while without feeling like I'm going to collapse. The spasms and back pain are still there. Driving and everyday task have been a challenge for me! I have been feeling good but this last month I feel like I took 3 months back :(

I had a CT when I was six months out and the Dr said "I was just starting to show a little fusion." The Dr used BMP..

Not sure if this is normal part of recovery?? I think by now I should be beyond this!!

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
Brain shunt 2000"
Brain shunt removed 20001"
ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09

• Hi Maria,

I am 8 months out from L3-5 PLIF fusion surgery. I too continue with pain on a daily basis if I try to do anything beyond walking around the house.

Are you doing Physical Therapy? I found I feel great at the office but by the end of the day, as with the end of all days, my back hurts and makes it difficult to sleep.

I would call the doc about the leg weakness unless you have already been seen about that.

Did they put you on Lyrica? I found that my legs swelled like elephant's legs on it.

It does get discouraging at times when you think you should be feeling better and aren't. I was told to be patient (which I am not very good at).

You are not alone. Normal recovery is talked about in very broad terms, sometimes as little as 3 months, others almost 2 years. Its just your spot on the spectrum is towards the longer end, like mine.

• Hi Stacy,

Thank you!! It does get discouraging at times..I am going to the Dr Tuesday 5/25..I'm not on Lyrica..The swelling is bothering me. I wake up every morning with swollen feet for the past month. The weakness is also an issue..Hoping to get answers soon..