Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do you feel exhausted from the pain??

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Chronic Pain
I wonder sometimes if I'm just lazy or if it's 'all in my head' as some people think I'm sure. Do any of you feel like you've done a hard days work even though you haven't done much of anything? Other than the normal everyday things we all have to do like clean house, do laundry, cook and all that good stuff that doesn't count...I'm being sarcastic because that's what some people actually think (that's another story). Anyway, do you feel so tired and hurt so much that you just don't know what to do? I know I'm letting it get to me to much and I'm trying to get hold of myself but at times I just get a little crazy. Anyone else? Tell me I'm not the only one who has felt this way. I hope that none of you are feeling this way today!
Thanks for listening even though I know I'm not making sense!

• Happy Memorial Day Debbie!!

I bet you will find a majority of us feel pretty much what you describe! If you do a Google for "Spoon story" you will get to read a woman's story of "spoons" in so far as explaining why she can do this and that today, but not tomorrow. Could apply the same to what energy we have left with "the little" things that a normal would call it, but big for us!

Hummm...add to tired, lets see: Stress, interrupted sleep, chronic pain, various meds - nawwww no reason to be tired for us, right? :) Ms. Debbie, I think you sound like a spiney "normal" to me!!

Great thread! *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Oh honey, you know we know where you're coming from! Can you light a candle and take a warm bath in the candlelight? I know it helps me destress. Do something just a little special for yourself, you've earned it. :)

Hoping you have a better, restful night,

• Sunny,

Some days im exhausted just walking to my mailbox and back(20 yards). I can not even ride my riding lawn mower with out becoming tired. But I tell myself i must finish my chores for the day and get them done. Once my mind has reached its goal i am done The best medication there is in this world is a strong mind. Tell yourself you are going to do something today and do it. Tommorrow make it a little more. You will be surprised on what you can accomplish with a strong mind.
  • Hah, I haven't been able to do laundry in 2 1/2 years. I tried to go back to doing it after I was "healed" but every time I tried I'd be in bed for days. The repeated bending and lifting is just too much.

Just little things like trying to clean out a box of stuff can be too much for me.

Yes, I'm always tired. Lately it's worse because I'm battling other health issues, I'm just plumb exhausted. The last week or two I've been able to hop on my horse for a slow walk around the barn a few times and I feel like I've run a marathon (in terms of achievement).

I limit myself to errands and taking care of the kids now. No cleaning, no bending or lifting. Useless and exhausted, that's me ;). Everything else has to be taken care of between my husband and the cleaning lady. I can clean counters and such, but the errands and kids and horses are enough to wear me out.

• Hi Debbie-it is a good description of myself. After giving myself a good telling-off for being a "lazy-bones" my hubby pointed out the effort to do the simple tasks like making a cuppa is almost 10 fold. We tend to be our biggest critics and personally I will end up in tears because of not being able to do something that was part of the "old-me".Pain is tiring and just recently got to the point of admitting I couldn't cope. Long saga but ended up with more meds. but felt better able to cope mentally and physically. Perhaps being a spiney gives us automatic entry to question our sanity at times?As rplat56 posted our mind is strong and if we can manage certain tasks each day we can take comfort from it.I have no qualifications but you don't sound crazy, you sound human. Big Hugs to you for an awesome topic. Gentle Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • So true, WInkie. I don't really tell myself off anymore, or feel lazy. This isn't my fault (nor is it any of our fault). I certainly didn't ask for this. I look at this stuff on the floor and WANT to be able to pick it up- that's not the definition of lazy.

But that took a long while. And now still I call myself stupid because when my doctor gives me better pain meds, I just do more so I'm in just as much pain. ( but I don't really get much more done. Sigh!).

I developed all of these health issues- blood pressure and such- and I swear it's my body telling me to just cut it out, that I just can't do it any more, no matter how hard I try to force the issue.
  • The spoon theory was an excellent analogy...so true!!!

• absolutely !!! i feel so so so tired all the time due to lack of deep sleep and pain ..its normal Debbie when you are in pain all the time and you are not sleeping and on narcotics ..i am unable to do almost anything these days due to being tired ..
    tony x
  • Yes exhausted. Taking muscle relaxants and other medications and lack of sleep or interrupted sleep takes a toll. What helps me is find a project everyday. Spring cleaning. Shred some papers, put all junk in a box and slowly get through it. Clean one or 2 drawers. Next project-take out bottom drawer of oven and vacuum underneath stove. Next project-clean out fridge-not done yet! Little goals to cross off the spring cleaning list. Take a walk everyday has been a tough goal for me. I do hope you're feeling better today Debbie. Thanks for your PM also. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Oh gosh, Charry, how do you bend over like that? Doesn't that kill you? No wonder you're in pain all the time!

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    It really helps to know I'm not alone in feeling this way. Any of you who 'know' me know that I'm always doing something. I'm fortunate in that I am able to do a lot most of the time. I just keep pushing myself and I push to far. I'm stubborn as they come and won't give up until I can't take a step. So I know I bring most of it on myself but I'm just afraid that when I quit I'll never be able to do it again you know? I'm great in that unlike most of you I haven't had spinal surgery yet. I'm still fighting that too. I'm sorry that I get to feeling sorry for myself when so many of you are so much worse off than I am. Thanks again for listening. I hope you're all having a better day.

• I can understand and agree with every post! It is physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting to be a spiney. I'm like Charry(except bottom drawers, there is no way I can get to them so they suffer!) I have my own "honey do" list and do something daily. I do feel better when I can cross off a few things! But some days I get carried away,do too much and pay. It's a hard knock life being like this but every day I also take time to be thankful for my family, what I can accomplish,etc. It is so hard to let things go when you previously did it all but with time I am learning to put life in perspective and let the little things go, remember there are more important things in life~ well, on a good day, at least! LOL!

I hope you are all having a day where you can let the little things go! Take care of yourselves!

• sleeprgirl said:
    The spoon theory was an excellent analogy...so true!!!

Someone posted about the "Spoons" a long time ago on here. I did the search, and I think I read that story like 5 or 6 times - each time bringing tears of understanding and clarity to me! So my hubby could view it or not, I sent him the 'Google search'... Well he apparently read it. We where out and about a short time after that, and he suggested "Lets go get some dinner and relax, I think you have used too many spoons today!" I smiled, turned my head away, teared up, looked up and gave thanks for such a great guy!!! So to echo, yeppers, sooooo true!

Brenda :)
  • Debbie,

I think you are once again describing a LOT of us! I haven't had surgery on my back yet either, and even now knowing I do have disk/nerve issues there, I too push knowing "oh boy are you gonna get it later!" If my hubby is home, he is good at stopping me, but of course the 'cat can't watch the mouse' all the time now huh? (G)

Same goes too, you want to go out with friends, it's been planned for a while. You're not quite up to it, but you do it anyway. I dunno, maybe it's me, but there are times I go for it, as the pleasure was worth the punishment? Have a great day woman!!

• Hi Debbie and everyone.I too find myself very tired most of the time.I still work fulltime so I leave for work in an hour and I already feel like I've worked all day.
    I felt good on Sunday and Monday so what do I do,I work at things I've been putting off,mostly in the yard.My house is still in a shambles from the flood.I still have to hang drywall,well its still a buncha work to do,I can hardly move today.I will stop complaining now.
    I try so so so hard to stay positive but I'm not really having much luck with it today.
    Debbie I know how much fight you have in you,just keep up that spirit.
    I hope you all have a good/week and can find some kinda relief from the pain we all know too well.
    Peace and Love
  • i dont think there is one of us that does not push it too far most of the time. It has always been a fact of life especially when we were healthy. Its hard to face reality once we are injured. I always tell myself i'm not going to overdo it this time. But i seem to always go there. I was always very very active before my injury came around. Used to get up at 5Am and run doing something till around 9pm. I still tell myself i can still do it, but my body is ever so often reminding me its not the case. Do not get down on yourself because you are not the same as you once were. Do a little every day or so then try to expand it a little more every week. Some days i feel like ive accomplished alot by just getting out of bed. Most days i push myself too far. And there i sit in my recliner again.The only one who truely knows how much you can do is Y O U .....You can try to relate your pain to others around you but they just dont understand.... until one day they will have to walk a mile in your shoes.Stay strong and true to yourself..
  • even after the pain is gone. I've been taking vitamins, etc., getting in as much walking as I can handle, trying to build my strength back up, but I'm still tired. All. The. Time. I haven't had a day where I felt full of energy in over three years.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Oh Debbie I feel you 100%. I am normally a very active person and I completely feel zapped all the time. I have 3 small kids so life is never boring but just the normal everyday activities that I use to do is so draining now. Just trying to keep my house from looking like a complete train wreck is almost impossible. Deep cleaning, what the heck is that??? I have learned to try and spread things out instread of doing it all in one day. One day at a time is my new motto....
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Wouldn't it be great if there was a magic energy pill that actually worked? Then again, the more energy we feel the more we do then there we go again! Each of you describe the same feelings I have. Most of the time I push on through (grumble, groan and carry on) but sometimes I just get tired...not just physically but mentally. I think that's the worst kind of tired. So now, I need to get my sorry self up and get to work...then I'll whine again later. The circle of life with chronic pain?
    Thank you all again for being here and letting me know I'm not alone. It does help.

• I agree that the mental stress can add to our exhaustion and lack of energy. I'm in that spot now more than the physical aspect, as I'm losing my health insurance, had a funeral to attend yesterday for a friend, I'm waiting to hear about two job interviews I had last week (one of which is what I REALLY want). My MIL has been here for over a week and she's passive-aggressive about my getting chores done no matter how I feel and talks about her aches and pains incessantly, expects me to keep her entertained during the day while hubby's at work. She says she's leaving Friday, but I'm terrified she'll find a reason to stay another week.

All this can make us so tired and I feel like such a slug. I went out and weeded the yard the other day just to get myself out of the house and away from our "visitor", ended up doing more bending that I should have and ended up hurting and tired like all of you have posted.

I was been able to get out over the long weekend with hubby on the golf course (I can play a few holes), get together with friends, and have some alone time with my fella. Not much, but at least a little.

Man, it will be nice when (and if) things can just get back to a place where we find our new (or old) normal and can just stay there a while.

I'm exhausted right along with the rest of you. I was walking Wally yesterday morning and asked him if he would like to just walk with me until we fell off the edge of the earth. We never found it, so I'm back in my recliner.

On a lighter note, Wally did discover his first snake (just a little baby that's harmless) and it was fun watching him trying to figure out what that big worm really was and why he moved the way he did.

I'm with ya, my friend. Totally with you.

• Yup, most of the time. Chronic pain is a drain both physically and mentally. I wish I had more energy to do stuff with the kids, garden, etc. However, I have come to a degree of acceptance that this is how it is going to be. The Spoon Theory sums this up so well, thanks Brenda for posting that. We only have so many spoons per day, I'm going to try to use mine wisely.

Take care Spiney friends,

• Lisa,

Your post made me think of something else in line with this thread. Ever notice some days that you are physically exhausted but mentally want to 'go-go-go?' Then on other days your mental strength is zilch and your physically feeling pretty good! Argh! Now to get them balanced.... :)

• having been on the meds last year and then off for a few months and now back on I really think a big part of this tiredness is related to the medications. Unfortunately we can't live with out them. So we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.
  • I do have many days where my physical side is not cooperating with my emotional side:frustrating!

Kris, you also had an excellent point about the meds affecting our energy levels.

Wishing us all better days,

• Have you ever had your mental side "go go go" like Brenda said then get in your car with your list of things to do and end up paring it down to just the necessities because you realize there's no way in the world you'll get it all done?

I can't tell you how many times that's happened to me.

I've also experienced the good physical days where my mind says "don't do anything, just be a lazy butt." On those days, I try to get something done that hubby will notice when he gets home. Why clean out a drawer when he'd never notice? LOL

Yeah, the meds definitely play a part, too.
  • Cath111 said:
    Have you ever had your mental side "go go go" like Brenda said then get in your car with your list of things to do and end up paring it down to just the necessities because you realize there's no way in the world you'll get it all done?

I can't tell you how many times that's happened to me.
    And I was calling things like that Cathy as "Lyrica moments!!!" Either that or I will get like half of my 'to do' things done and I start cutting out stops to get home faster with "I'll get that tomorrow!"

I've also experienced the good physical days where my mind says "don't do anything, just be a lazy butt." On those days, I try to get something done that hubby will notice when he gets home. Why clean out a drawer when he'd never notice? LOL
    Ditto here! But more so it helps to 'guilt' him into cleaning *his* messes up! (EG) :)

• sunny1966 said:
    I wonder sometimes if I'm just lazy or if it's 'all in my head' as some people think I'm sure. Do any of you feel like you've done a hard days work even though you haven't done much of anything?
    Now back to your original question Debbie. Are you feeling better now that you see you are *cough* normal? *HUGZ*

• I would have to agree with Kris. The meds mostly are the cause along with pain. I was only on a few meds and low doses. Yeah it helped the pain. I stayed in a mental fog and dragged my way through each day. I wasn't at home all day either. I was struggling my way through a full time job and several other issues taxing me. I ran out of energy. Taking vitamins, telling myself I was lazy and needed to move, walking as much as I could. It just didn't do enough.

Post op I felt like I had had my a** kicked but good. I was just sore, tired, and didn't want to do anything. Took a month or more to get past the post op fog from whatever they gave me during surgery. Then the walking and PT started to move me. Then ditching the pain killers, even a low dose, I started to get more energy. I'm 6 months out of surgery. Off pills, other than the occasional light pain killer.

While I don't have the energy to run a marathon. I get up everyday and go to work, do my job, do my chores at home, tinker some, spend time with family. It's slowly coming around.

If there is anything you can do to get off those meds you should consider it. They will just pull you down and keep you there. I know the feeling of nerve pain, muscle pain, bone pain. You're fighting evil with evil and you won't win that game.

I hope you can find better solutions to your pain.
  • I didn't really think about the medication side of it but I guess that makes total sence. I just took my 1st am dose of Gabapentin so I'm sure I'll be in a real fog pretty soon. Well I hope one day to get out of this fog and get my energy back.

Cath- You poor thing...sorry your MIL is torturing you. I wish you the best of luck and I'll say a little prayer that she leaves tomorrow.
  • Thanks for the wishes and prayer. Although I wouldn't consider having her here torture exactly, it's just that sometimes she overstays her welcome and is clueless about it. In any case, as delicately as I can, I've been confirming that she's leaving tomorrow and have had it confirmed three times in the last two days. LOL

So, tomorrow I think I'll take the day off from EVERYTHING and just have a peaceful day to myself and have a few cocktails with my hubby when he gets home to celebrate getting our normal life back (and him getting his own bathroom back).

Hang in there fellow spineys. These roadblocks and hurdles can be a real pain, but we'll get through them. I'm so glad we have each other to vent to and share things with.

This discussion has been closed.