Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

mizzcoop68mmizzcoop68 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Chronic Pain
I am siting in the waiting room of the UW Pain Clinic. Today I will be trying Hypnotherapy for my chronic low back pain. Even though the Doctors have discovered where my pain is coming from, no insurance will cover the cost of the procedure to fix the torn disc and remove the build up of fluid around my spine. The possible answer is Hypnotherapy. I'll try anything once. We will see what happens. Keep you posted of the results. :? :W

• You are talking about something that I have been giving a serious thought to! I anxiously await to hear from you again on this subject.
    thx for sharing
  • Mizz, I thought you and more than a few people here might find this interesting. Part of a job I had for a medical research organization was arranging for speakers for our monthly seminar series. One of the guests we had was a psychologist whose research area was using hypnotherapy to help patients with pain control during surgery.

This gentleman would meet with patients for several visits before their proposed surgery, addressing their fears and teaching them how to use their brains to help them rise above any pain signals that were generated.

At the end of his talk, he presented a video showing one of his patients (with his consent, naturally) undergoing knee replacement surgery while awake and without any pain medication. (An anesthesiologist was always on standby should the patient's vital signs show signs of deterioration, or should the patient request nedication.) It was amazing to see the patient speaking with the therapist by his head, using guided imagery and remaining totally calm.

If you don't know, knee replacement surgery involves a *lot* of drilling of holes for the implants, which are banged into place with mallets.

Not for everyone... actually probably just for a few. But it gives you a dramatic look at the whole "mind over matter" aspect of pain responses.

Hypnotherapy is a far cry from the old magic trick, where the patient is put into a trance and falls into the clutches of someone who could make them rob a bank. :)

Good luck and let us know if you find your experience helpful!
  • Its a really cool idea especially for chronic or unoperable pain. My only fear is this being used to mask pain that is our body's way of telling us that something is wrong. Something that should be fixed before it becomes worse.

Can't wait to hear how it goes.
  • I am not a candidate for Hynotherapy. They hypnotize you and access your subconcious for you to relive any past trauma's you might hsve gone through, They let you take them were ever you go in your mind. They hope that this treatment will defuse the pain sensors that are linked to your subconcious.
  • for my father who got hypnotized for his smoking, 30 years ago, and he thought I may be a candidate. I have to get a letter from my dr stating that it would be allright for me to do this. I am still recovering with therapy of all sorts & I might not get the "go ahead". Shucks! If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. HOWEVER, it might be good for those with RA or Fibermayalgia. Or as Kris said, "non-operable" conditions. Interesting though, to say the least.
  • Mizz, that sounds an awful lot like the controversial "technique" of recovered memory therapy (RMT), which seems to have gained some use in the 1990s. PLR supposedly unlocked "forgotten" traumus like rape, incest, parental abuse.

Personally I think a lot of this therapy was centered around finding people in enough psychic pain that they would be open to suggestion that someone they knew was the cause, usually one or both parents. I believe it is mostly discredited and led to the destruction of many families. Many of the patients recanted their stories later, saying they were guided to those conclusions by the therapist.

These are my personal views on the subject.

I've known people who have used true hypnotherapy to change habits like smoking and even sex addiction. Nobody every "put them under" and dredged up any prior trauma or mistreatment.

I'm wondering if your state-university-based pain clinic is also conducting research studies on some of their techniques.

** edited because I obviously had a brain fart when I wrote this post **
  • All though I can see how this type of therapy could help some people. I am not a candidate for this type of treatment. I am currently in therapy to address my past issues and I am not willing to relieve experiences I have all ready dealt with and put behind me. Also, even though I was open to this type of treatment the type of pain I am having is so isolated the Hynotherapist is recommending surgery.

Thanks for the info, I did find it very interesting!
  • Some types of pain cannot be masked by hypnosis. Only narcotics can mask pain. In reading about and meeting with the Dr. I do believe that this type of therapy can help defuse the pain sensors that are linked to chronic pain. You will still feel other pain. For instance: you grab a hot pan, it will hurt. These are a differant type of pain sensor. The mind is a mysterious place.
    Thanks for the comment
  • This treatment is suppose to let your mind go where ever you want it to and the therapist follows it. This was how it was explained to me by the Dr. I didn't want to relive old traumas. I have worked very hard to deal with my past and didn't want to go back there. Your right, it does sound alot like past regression therapy.
    UW Pain Clinic is researching alternate non narcotic pain treaments. Recently they were working on a visual video game, you puton these goggles and in front of you there is a snowy cold background with lots of snowballs and Penguins. You throw the snowballs at he penguins. The penguins are suppose to represent your pain and the cold is suppose to help in a way also. I personally don't get it and find this type of research awaste of resources and they should be looking in better ways to deal with chronic pain, like fixing it!

Thanks for your input
  • Sounds like you might be a candidate. But I am not a Dr. They want you to have a positive attitude. Sounds like you have that.

Good Luck and keep me posted
  • Coop- Sorry the Hypno didn't work out for you. So insurance won't cover your surgery if though is causing you pain? That sounds odd I would fight that one!!
  • I do plan on fighting it. I just have to figure out where to start. The new Dr's won't request authorization from the insurance, they want me to get the authorization first but the insurance wants the request to come from a Dr not the patient. I plan on calling the Dr who gave me the injections to see if he can help. But, I am not giving up! Now that I know there is a fix.;)
This discussion has been closed.