Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

acdf Surgery

srs149ssrs149 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
In 2004 I had acdf on c4-c6. all symptoms were on the left side. surgeon at the time told me to expect future complications on the right side on level below.

That time has come and am facing acdf on level c6-t1. This will put me at 4 fused discs.

I am a police officer assigned to patrol. one of the factors that will determine surgery, is mobility after the surgery.

I am looking for anyone that has similar fusions, and how this has affected their mobility. my present surgeon says the t1 level should not be affected much, as it does not turn much anyway.

Mobility after first surgery was minimally affected.

This is what I see as a potentially career ending surgery and appreciate any help or direction to known studies.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hi srs149,

I had a corpectomy, discectomy, fusion of C3 thru C6 in 2007 both from the
    anterior & posterior sides. Last month I was informed that I am looking at the same procedures to happen above that fusion and below it to T1 in the near future. At present I have good range of motion but I was also warned that will not be the case after my next neck adventure.
    I am inclined to believe that will be a career ender for me also so I've started to make a plan so my back isn't against the wall down the road.
    By the way, welcome here to spine-health, if I can of any help or information
    let me know.
    Take care,
  • I don't know the answer but would love any info you guys have on this. The last surgeon I saw wants to do surgery on C5 to T2. This spans the cervo-thoracic junction. Unfortunately there is very little info on this. The only think I think he said is that motion forward and back would be affected. So no tipping your head down or up.

The only other piece of info I have is that apparently this is a very hard area to stabilize because it has so much motion. This is why they have to go high and low. But as I write this it's making me think this would mean a loss of alot of motion.

No matter what SRS it would probably be a good idea to start thinking of other options like Ranger. Even if the doctors say you should be fine post-op you never know. And better to be safe than sorry.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I am currently fused at c-3 through t1. Cage, plate, and rods. Surgery from the anterior and posterior approach . My range of motion surprisingly is not bad. I have all range of motion to the right and just a little deficit to the left. Remember every case is different but I am now unable to face a day without pain meds. I have had many attempts of stopping the medication but the pain is too much to handle. Good luck and keep us posted.
    By the way Thank You for helping keep all of us safe.