Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lower back pain

merlotangel9512mmerlotangel9512 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Chronic Pain
i am having really bad lower back pain and just had an injection, however i dont feel that is going to do the trick. the dr i see will not prescribe any meds and only wants to refer me to neuro dr's that i have previously seen. please help.. the pain is so bad i am at my breaking point.

• How bad is it? Can you stand? Can you go to the bathroom?
  • Change doctors so you can get some pain relief. There is nothing wrong with alleviating pain.
    Look for other ways to get a diagnosis.
    A good physio should be able to help, much more than a GP.
    While pondering possible causes, keep in mind it is more likely to be something simple to treat as the spine is a minefield of very common problems.
    so don't write yourself off!
    It may be a locked joint in the spine or pelvis, causing the muscles to tighten and spasm. This can be VERY painful, as I've found out.
    So be sure to keep an open mind on muscle problems as well.
  • i can't see why the doctor wont prescribe you any pain relief .in my opinion that's barbaric if i were you i would change doctors .mean while try ice or heat to the effected area .you could also try over the counter pain killers until your new doctor gives you something .

you may want to try a TENS unit ..you can buy them from a few pound to hundred's .from a chemist or on the net ..don't suffer in pain its 2010 not the 1800s

• Welcome to Spine-Health! :)

You said you just had an injection in your back. Epidural injections can make the pain worse for the first few days before they start to help. If you're only a day or two out from the injection you need to give it some time.

As for your doctor refusing to give you anything for the pain, in my book that qualifies him(her) to be fired. Had a doctor like that when I herniated at C6/7. He told me to just do my exercises for the rest of my life. I walked out and never went back there. One of the most important things in treatment is to have a trust relationship with your doctor. If you don't feel the doctor has your best interest at heart or is hearing what you're saying it may be time to find someone new. Just having someone who you trust will make you relax and can sometimes even help with chronic pain that is aggravated by tension. Let us know what you decide to do, and good luck!

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Have you had any diagnosis? MRI? X-Ray?

Physical therapy?

• That kind of treatment is un-ethical and I would not stand for it. Go to the ER if you have to in order to get some relief. I had injections with pain meds and it was unbearable. I would not use heat though as it can make inflammation worse. Ice is good until you can get down to the ER or find a new doctor that isn't completely insane.

• lower back pain we give the solution of one Yoga provides relief from back pain is affected by the alignment and function of all the parts of the body The condition of the legs, hips, pelvis, shoulders and even the buttocks, influences the condition of the back. Due to this, as you improve strength and flexibility throughout the body, your back is in better shape and you feel better.

• Try putting some padded insoles (Dr. Scholl's or something similar) in your shoes. A lot of back pain can be traced back to your feet and how they are landing. You probably will benefit running in shoes that are specifically designated as "cushioned."

Online chemist
This discussion has been closed.