Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nuerontin/Throat Problems

rugmankcrrugmankc Posts: 131
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Anyone taking Nuerontin and have throat problems. Mine is like a strain or laryngitis. Is worse when talking. Not sore and does not hurt eating. Only started after starting the Nuerontin, I think. I don't remember any problems right after surgery, although I was on a lot more pain meds back then.

Still thinking it could be from surgery, and the tube they put down my throat. Just would figure you would notice that not long after surgery, if not immediately.

• I have been on neurontin for a long time. Initially I stopped taking it as my dreams were so vivid and strange.

Switched to Lyrica, but stopped it as I didn't like the side effects.

I take 600 mgs at night.

I do have a strained voice at times, especially lately. But didn't think about it as it doesn't hurt and I thought it was that I talk too much! :) LOL

Curious about what you find out! TC
  • Funny that you should say that. I've just increased to the max does of 3600 mg a day. ANd I noticed in the last two weeks that every so often I have mild laryngitis. It only seems to last a short time - mins to an hour or so.

I just thought it was allergy but thought it was odd that it came and went so fast. Very intersting.
  • Thanks Kris,

I am on 2k a day, sometimes 1500mg. My pain level has been going down on the sciatica. Mine is like laryngitis or a strain. I lose my voice and it feels scrathcy. If several people report having this, I am changing meds. Comes on when talking for several minutes or raising voice like talking to someone 15+ ft away. Can't believe this is from surgery so late after with no problems the first two months.

• I just had to double check my dosage as it seems so minimal compared to others.

I am on 600 mg at night. He wanted me on 900, but it seemed too much.

I am small/petite....but I wonder if the 900mg would be more helpful.

But the weight gain.....
  • Shari I was on 300 x 3 before my surgery in January and that was kicking my butt. I stopped right after surgery and then went back on in April when the pain returned. I've been going up really fast and it has helped lots but it isn't doing it all.

The side effects were a little rough and it was wearing off so now I take 900 x 4 to spread it out. Not sure if it is any better and it's hard to get the spacing right.

KC I will pay more attention now. Since I am home I don't talk much. I can think of two times when I noticed the croaking voice. It didn't seem to last for more than a few moments but then again I don't talk much now so I don't know. THis weekend will be a good test. I'll let you know on Tuesday.
  • Jayhawk,

Missed your post after mine, sorry. I don't know what determines dosage. Male, female, weight etc or Dr preference. I did read a side effect was weight gain. Hopefully that can be rectified after the meds are done being taken.I had severe nerve damage, actually crushed. I think because my nerve pain was also high after surgery, they wanted to increase that and hope they could back off narcotics after a while. I am hoping I can get back to Tylenol in a month. Does already seem there is a correlation between Neurontin and the throat discomfort. We will see how the replies go.

• OK Kris,

I did read on the Neurontin they need equally spaced out. Although, I was on one in morning, one in afternoon, and two at bedtime. I now spreaad out the three a day equally.

• I highly recommend that you contact your doc and speak to him/her about this. Here are the most common and serious side effects of Neurontin/Gabapentin

Gabapentin may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

* drowsiness
    * tiredness or weakness
    * dizziness
    * headache
    * shaking of a part of your body that you cannot control
    * double or blurred vision
    * unsteadiness
    * anxiety
    * memory problems
    * strange or unusual thoughts
    * unwanted eye movements
    * nausea
    * vomiting
    * heartburn
    * diarrhea
    * dry mouth
    * constipation
    * weight gain
    * swelling of the hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
    * back or joint pain
    * fever
    * runny nose, sneezing, cough, sore throat, or flu-like symptoms
    * ear pain
    * red, itchy eyes (sometimes with swelling or discharge)

Some side effects may be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:

* rash
    * itching
    * swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, or eyes
    * hoarseness
    * difficulty swallowing or breathing
    * seizures
  • Haglandc,

Thank you so much for the info. I saw those lists when I searched, but missed the hoarseness. Do you remember the link?

Looks like I may be changing meds. Too bad, since I had no other side effects.

• Haglandc,

Never mind on the link. I found them. Problem was, I was searching for throat problems and not listing hoareness in the search box.

Thanks A Lot,

• Wow, I had no idea! This past week,(maybe longer and I just didn't realize it) I was on vacation with a girlfriend. We noticed my voice was hoarse at times (but definatedly not all the time). I just thought it was so much talking and laughing.

Last night, I was upset with DH and again, hoarseness and today still.

I really don't want to change meds. I don't want to be on Lyrica.

My bottle says to take both at bedtime. It makes me sooo sleepy, I don't think I could take it during the day.

Ken, let me know what your doc says. Hope you have a good weekend!

• I too will be curious to see what your doc has to say. One thing I recommend, is that when you speak with your doc, let him/her know that you did some research and found Neurontin can potentially be the cause of the hoarseness.

Many times docs get so comfortable prescribing certain meds, that they don't bother looking up the less common side effects. I had a very good neurologist change out one of my anti-seizure meds and the new one caused me to have constant ear infections. So I researched and found credible documentation that listed ear infections as a possible side effect. So he swapped that med out and within two weeks the infections were gone. Had I not presented the research to him, he wasn't prepared to accept that this was a side effect.

Keep us posted.

• I'm curious too. My hoarseness was only twice that I remember and didn't last. I did get what I thought were bug bites the other day. I wonder....

I started today taking 600 mg every 4 hours during the day and then 1200 at bed since I'm not getting up to take it again. I find that the pain is worse but the drowsiness isn't as bad. This better level out soon or I'm going to go crazy.

Has anyone else noticed that there are different manufacturers of the gabapentin? I had uncoated 600 mg tablets. When they refilled yesterday they gave me coated pills (much better). I checked and they come from diff companies. I wonder if this affects the efficacy....
  • I have taken Neurontin/Gabapentin for about 10 years now and have used ones from several different manufacturers. Sometimes even in the same batch I'll wind up with a bottle or two from different companies. I've never noticed a difference in the efficacy of any of them. I'm pretty certain if there were a difference I would notice it, since I take 1600mg 3 times a day.

• Wow that's alot. I was told that 3600 mg a day total was the absolute max. I'm still getting pain but not as much. This spreading out of doses is helping with the foggyness but I need a watch with an alarm to remind me when to take them. lol

• Basically the 3600 mg per day is the "recommended" max. In some cases, it takes up to 4800 mg in order to establish a therapeutic level. When I drop below 4800 I lose I'd say a good 30% of the effectiveness.
    Pfizer said:
    Typical adult dose: 300 mg day one, 600 m day two, 900 mg day 3 divided into 3 doses. Can also start 900 mg divided into 3 doses. Maintenance is 900 - 4800 mg/d divided into 3 or 4 doses.
    Also there are other factors that come into play, as with any medication. For instance what it's being prescribed for, the age of the patient, overall health of the patient, other medications, etc ...

My neurologist a few years back was the one who had me go past 3600 mg. Prior to that, I was taking Gabapentin as a concomitant medication with Cabamazepine. Once the other medication was removed from my daily regimen, the dose of Gabapentin was increased to see if it would pick up the slack. It did, and the rest is history.

So you can see why I have researched this medication so thoroughly. It's one of the best medications I've used for dealing with neuralgia and neuropathic pain.

• Sorry for the late reply and thanks for all your concern. Didn't get any email alerts to these posts. Neurontin can cause my symptoms. I found this out thru extensive searching. The last couple weeks things got worse with more intense flu symptoms. Went to ER and the Doc also mentioned Lisinopril, which I am on for high blood pressure and because I had a heart attack years ago.

My card dr said lisinopril was probably the cause and changed me to an ARB med from ACE inhibitor.

Long story short I stopped both. Don't need the pain meds anymore and won't take lisinopril anymore. Today I seem to be starting to feel better. Not sure which one it was, or whether both were to blame.

Lisinopril is well known for the cough, with neurontin it is a rare side effect. But, is still a possibiltiy.

Good luck to all of you on your contiued recoveries,

• I was put on Neurontin and started coughing. I thought it was my asthma until I read the group msgs. I have stopped taking it and upped my asthma meds and am feeling much better.
  • My husband suffered really bad with the cough brought on by Lisinopril. The doc finally changed him over to Losartan and after a few days the cough went away and he says he feels a lot better on the Losartan. His cardiologist said it could take up to two weeks for the cough to go away, so he was tickled when it disappeared a lot faster. I hope you get some relief soon.

• Thanks haglandc,

Losartan is what the doc perscribed for me. I saw it still has an 8% chance of flu, cold, cough side effects. I think Lisinopril is much higher. Hope your husband does fine.

I may go back on Tyzack, but the ARB's like Losartan are good for heart attack victims like me. Helps other organs in the body and can help with diabetes.

Once this clears up, I need to think about it for a while. I think I have and have had other sinus issues making this worse. Neurontin may need be added to the pile contributors.

• I hope that you get to the bottom of it soon. Thanks for the kind words for my husband. He is doing so much better with the Losartan.