Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical fusion at c6 c7. can now lift my arm yahooo!

miss grumpymmiss grumpy Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
just wanted to share my news i had a cervical discectomy and fusion with cage 2 weeks ago and today was the first time in 2 years i was able to raise my right arm out to the side,
on ward and up wards as they say. :) <:P =)) >:D< :)))

• Always good to hear good news Miss Grumpy! May you continue to progress and improve. Congrats!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I'm happy for you. Hopefully with time and Physiotherapy will help you get those muscles built up again that you haven't used for so long. I have minor cervical issues at c6 and impingement at c7 but still able to use my arm above head so far so good but have had a shoulder injury and surgery and it's a great relief to be able to use your arm again. Best wishes for your recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • That's fantastic news!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    It's so good to hear you're doing well miss g. Hope you continue to do great and that your problems are solved! Keep us posted on your progress.

Take care
  • hi all. after my 6 week checkup there s still no sign of any bone fusion. :/ i have a cage implant without any screws or plates, I'm wearing a soft collar, which i was hoping to be able to remove, but unfortunately not,does any one know how stable the neck is, iv not been able to rest at all, my teenage daughter and her baby, and i all moved to a new very grotty house, so you can imagine i had to do some bits of cleaning and painting etc, i find it impossible to just sit around :D , do we know what i should and shouldn't really be doing, :| :S
  • Sense you have no bone growth at this time is not necessarily mean something is going wrong. With that said if your surgeon has suggested that you stay in the collar my guess is he/she wants to limit your cervical movement. So along with that I would think your lifting limit would still only be about 10lbs. It sounds to me like the surgeon is trying to limit movement to see if it will help the bone begin to grow. Now the other thing that may help is to talk to the surgeon about any supplements that may help. But all restrictions should come from the surgeons office, I am just guessing here based on what i have been through with my surgeries.
  • hi,tamtam, I'm not seeing him till end of Sept, my friends say take loads of calcium my thought is, and protein, I'm doing loads of positive thinking, cant think of any thing else, I'm so glad i can move my arm, the surgeon says if it hasn't started fusing next visit which will be 12 wk post op, he will be doing two different types of scan to see whats going on. I'm trying to walk allot but really that sets the pain off, trouble is I'm such a grouch if i don't do something my family will disown me <:P .only kidding :) but im getting so desperate to be active again. thanks for the post. :)