Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Supplements- Do you know of a safe brand??

Lala329LLala329 Posts: 283
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Alternative Treatments
Hi guys,

I'm wary of supplements, but my PM doctor has recommended one in particular that I want to try. My background is in nutrition so I'm very current on all the dangers of supplements, and my doctor is overseeing it so I'm comfortable with the recommendation. I'm also aware of all the junk on the market since supplements aren't FDA regulated...

I really want to find a *reputable* brand to purchase, preferably one that has had outside lab testing. Do any of you guys that take supplements have a brand that you are comfortable with?? I finally found an awesome fish oil brand that I like and has had a lot of third party testing, and now I'm hoping to also find a quality supplement brand.

• Howdy Lala,

My hubby too is into the more 'natural' supplements, and now I like them too! Most of the vitamins and such we get is from "Nature Made." Me? I find their B12 and I get along great, vs Centrim or One A Day seem to pass right through me. They offer a zillion options in so far as supplements, vitamins and such.

I am always open to good stuff, so I guess (thanks to your thread) I will keep an eye in here to see if I learn of some other good stuff out there! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Another vote for them. I've used their B12, Folic Acid, and CoQ with good results. I've also used GNC vitamins and gotten more out of them than the common ones you find at the grocery store. I've also had good results with Solgar for some very specific minerals.

Brenda on the B12. Get their Folic Acic in 400mg. Take it with the B12. It helps your body absorb it better.

• I would be interested in what type of supplements (not brand, but specific supplements) you all are referring to and what they are used for.

I currently take Fish Oil twice/day, Vit E, Magnesium, Vit D and Folic Acid. I had an appointment with my neurosurgeon this past week and asked her what her thoughts were on supplements and what I should be taking to aid in my nerve/muscle issues in my cervical spine. She told me that unless there was deficiency, she would not suggest that I take any supplements. I don't have any pre-determined deficiencies, had just added these because of things I had read and thought they might be helpful. Now I'm questioning all of that! Her concern was the lack of FDA oversight and she also said that sometimes too much of a supplement could be harmful.

I'll be interested in your responses.
  • My neurologist started me on supplements several years ago. These are the ones I take.

Magnesium Oxide (for muscle, nerve and bone health)
    Folic Acid (for healthy cells, brain and deprivation from certain medications)
    Calcium with Vitamin D (for long term Neurontin use)

• I take GNC whey protein powder not sure if you have that in the USA? Taking Jamieson chondroiton / glucosamine, MSM and Swiss herbal Primrose oil and vit. E as well as a multivitamin. I tend to stick with the well known name brands.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Yup, there are alot of stores here in the states where you can but whey protein powder. in different flavors also.