Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Howdy from San Antonio

south_txgalssouth_txgal Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi y'all,

I've already made one post in a different section but thought I'd make an introduction post as well. My name is Angie, been married for 17 years to a wonderful man who took on the job of being dad to my oldest son 23, and daughter 22, at the age of 20. I have two other kiddos, a daughter, 16 and a son, 14. I have a 1 yo granddaughter and a grandson who will be arriving sometime this month! I love gardening, country dancing, rodeos, cooking and at Christmastime it's hard to get me out of the itchen because I absolutely enjoy baking!
I have worked in warehousing for the last 10 years, which I know has caused all the back and leg problems I now have. I was an order selector for 8 of those years and regularly had to select 3000 lbs of product in 24 minutes. Mom always told me a woman was not built for that type of work, but who listens to mom??? I was out to prove I could do anything a man could do, only better. HAHA- guess I should have listened! After seeing 2 MRI's, one of the lumbar and one of the knees, my OS says I now have the back and knees of a 65 yo. I went out of work and onto Short term disability in Feb. because of the pain in my leg and knee.Dr tried to rehab it for two months. I had a meniscectomy done on the left knee in April. And I never gained the strength back in the leg. OS sent me 10 days ago for an MRI on the lower back and then referred me to a NS. Waiting now to hear back from them...but did get a copy of the MRI to compare it to an MRI I had done last year. Impression shows disc bulging and mild spondylosis at L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1, central canal stenosis most prominent at L4-5.
8 years ago, when I really started having pain and numbness in my left leg, i just chalked it up to aging and the beginning of arthritis, and I'm stubborn. My OS guesses by the condition of the torn meniscus that it had been torn for several years already and doesn't understand how I walked on it. Told him I just pushed the pain aside because I had to help support my family.
Now, I'm not so sure what the future holds. I was just finishing prereqs in college to pursue a degree in RN, OS says better rethink that and pursue something not so dependent on my knees and back. Maybe I'll pursue my true passion and go into Culinary Arts!

• Hi south_txgal

Welcome to our forum - you look too young to be a grandmother !!

Your OS has given you good advice about pursuing a career that's not so dependent on your knees and back.

I'm much older than you but the time came when I had to have a re-think about my activities and find things which I could safely do.

Take care

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. i know of several women who are nurses with back and leg problems but work either in a doctor's office or doing teaching.. these are two areas that don't require you to be on your feet all day and yet you have contact with the medical community.. anyway, it is difficult to be an RN and do much else other than nursing... it is a decision you should really sleep on!! just doing the training may be to much for your body!! i wish you the best of luck with whatever direction your career goals go... stop by anytime! Jenny :)p.s.my mom lives in Paris, texas as well!!
  • I've seen your other posts and great to here more about you! How wonderful to have a supportive husband and wonderful children and little grandchildren well one on the way also. It's a tough decision to make becoming an RN but there are sit down jobs if you're able to sit when you're an RN but know the training is trying being in clinical sessions in school. Hopefully you'll manage with your Culinary arts. Follow your dreams I say. I had a wonderful career as an RN for over 20 years but since my injury I'm unable to work right now for 2-1/2 years as I mentioned in the PM. Best wishes for your career goals and we're here to support you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN