Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain is at 8 today

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Chronic Pain
hey everyone,

My pain level is really up there today!!! Went school shopping with kids on Friday (in and out of wheelchair) and a birthday party on Saturday so I’m pretty wiped out. Decided to go to church on Sunday, thought it would get my mind off the pain put only made it worse and I started crying. Called doc and he increased my vics to 1 ½ to 2 every 4 hrs and motrin for a couple of days and then go back to regular dose.

I know people mean well but if you see me crying don't ask me what’s wrong and then glaze over when I tell you!! God that pees me off!!!! You know that look like here we go again or how bad could it really be enough to be crying? Then you have those who think you do this for attention (my mother in law).Then there those who say what did you do, fall down or something? No idiot, I had major back surgery. One person actually asked me what it felt like and I said let me hit you in your lower back repeatedly with a 2 by 4 with a nail through the middle and then you'll know exactly what it feels like, then I walked away. My husband gets so made and starts telling people off for me. His mom says he shouldn’t do that but he tells her that by them doing this, it upsets me more and makes the pain level worse. I’m so tired of these people I could just spit in their eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could barely walk and almost took the wheelchair. Can you imagine what that would have been like? The questions, Auh!!

I love my church and most are really caring people but there are some who I just can’t stand. If I saw someone upset I would never be condescending to them. Church is really my only release and I’m getting to the point where I don’t want to go anymore. I’m just so sick of the whispers, stares and constant questions. Chalk it up to one more thing the chronic pain has taken from me.

I would like to thank each and every one of you out there for your support and advice. I think I would have given up long ago if it wasn’t for you. Just wanted you to know how much I appreciate you!!! GENTLE HUGES-Kathy

• It is really hard to run yourself through a high discomfort day. It takes a lot outta you and in the end, the only way to get some measure of feeling better is a balance of activity and rest. It is such a double edge sword and no one gets how the pain can spike, to bring tears and then leaves after a time-or stays and just gets dull achy and annoying.

Take care - C45
  • I totally agree with what you said. I did way, way too much yesterday, feeling fairly good and today I'm just so achy. So my plan for today is to do my morning walk, rest, get myself to the grocery store and forget most of the laundry I had planned for today - I'll just do enough to get hubby through the week.

Kathy, I've gotten in the habit of telling everyone that I'm just fine, good as can be. They smile, say "that's wonderful" and move on. Then I deal with my pain myself. I have two wonderful people in my life that can see my pain, and that's my husband and my best friend - she can even tell when we're on the phone if I'm having a bad pain day.

Nobody seems to notice the grimaces on my face as I turn to watch the pastor at church, or when it's a bit difficult to get up and I keep on a good face when I talk to anyone. Nobody needs to know, what's the point? As long as those closest to you understand, that's really all that matters. The heck with aquantances and not-so-close friends - if they really cared, they'd be able to see it and make kind comments to you, not make rude statements or whisper behind your back.

Take care and keep the balance going, as Centurian said. That is truly valuable advice.

• i can understand your pain .as i have posted a similar post .my advice is REST REST and REST!!!!
  • Totally. My daughter had her lemonade stand for her silver award for girl scouts last week, and I had to help her set it up and everything. Oh man, was I hurting, but there was really no choice.

Friday night I went to sleep at like 10, and I slept until noon on Saturday! Ugh!

Anyway, not an 8, but I've been spending lots of time in the 6 and 7 range. Just ouch!
  • First off a spiney *HUG* to ya! Some people care, some are curious, and some are just nosy jerks - but I know I am singing to the choir here, as we all pretty well know that!! It just bums more when it happens at church, as that is the one place we should be wrapped in support and love. Been thinking of you. So sorry you are still hurting so bad. I hope you are able to surround yourself with the true loving and caring types today!!! *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks guys, Im feeling much better today. I should know better but didn't listen to my body when it was telling me to slow down. There are things in life we just have to do and pay for them later. Atleast the school shopping is done, Auh!!

I had a long talk with my hubby and he said that I need to learn to just ignore ignorant people and the comments, his mom included, which made me laugh.He's so great!!!He said that their life is so borring that they have nothing better to do than talk about you.If you let them get to you then they've won, so I'm really going to try to ignore all of them. I once told someone when they asked me what did I do, I told them I ran a marathon in NYC and Im really sore and then hobbled away!! You should have seen the look on their face, it was priceless!! My hubby followed with, ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

Well thanks again-Hugs, hugs, hugs.-kathy
  • Kathy,

Your hubby couldn't have said truer words! Good for him! I'm also very happy to see you are coming back from such a flare. He defended you over mom, love it! Yep, he's a keeper for sure!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Glad you're feeling better and great your husband's supporting you about your MIL. That's a great answer about the marathon. Made me laugh first time today! Thanks for the update. Glad you're shopping for school is done. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I would be furious if someone thought I was crying for attention..
    My MIL also doesn't seem to "get" that I had major back surgery. She didn't understand why I didn't fly to Florida with my husband last month for a family wedding. Are you kidding me? I am still off of work. If I was feeling up to a trip I would go see my family..lol They went to the Disney parks everyday all day for the week. They work there..There is no way I could walk that.

My husband had to kind of yell at her about it over the phone. I don't want to be mean to her but when I am in pain I prob. wouldn't say anything nice to her about it over the phone.. :)

It is great that you have a good support system. I also have a great husband and a best friend that supports me in this recovery.

Take care
This discussion has been closed.