Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar MRI Report...... Translation!?!?!?!?!

patriotspykeppatriotspyke Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok I am now around 3 months post op from C6/C7 disc replacement, all has gone very well and my neck is good but I got some MRI results on my lower back today. Can anyone see what they think, I wont see my surgeon for 6 weeks to discuss the results, I think I have a good idea what it all means but any thoughts appreciated, here is what the radiologists report said!!

MRI Spine Lumbar/Sacral
Shallow Scoliosis, convexs to the right
The L5/S1 disc is desiccated and degenerate and there is broad degenerate bulging of the disc into the neural foramen bilaterally causing foraminal stenosis. This may be impinging on the exiting L5 nerve root.
Facet arthropathy is demonstrated at the lower three lumbar levels

To me that says I have a small curve in the spine with a herniated disc at L5 which is dried up and worn, which has bulged on both sides into the nerve space causing a trapped nerve, it also says I have arthritis in the 3 lower levels. Is this a correct translation or have i missed something?

Im only 35 and as you can see from above I have already just had a C6/7 disc replacement but have had lower back pain now for 8 months, very sore legs, muscle pain and cramps and at times find it hard walking any distance! just wondering what this may hold for the future? Sadly im in the UK and it can take ages to see a surgeon, luckily I got hold of my MRI report.

Any advice on their findings appreciated. Cheers

• Good to hear you're recovering well from your cervical surgery. I had the same herniated disc at L5-S1 with nerve impinging at the exiting nerve root also but it resolved on it's own but have Degenerative discs now in all my Lumbar spine. I've had facet joint injections with some relief of pain as well as epidurals for the leg pain from DDD with some results.

Unfortunately we're only fellow spine members here and can't read your MRI but hope you get in sooner to see your Spine Dr. Six weeks seems a long time to wait and maybe if you're having pain to give the office a call and see if you can be put on the cancellation list to get in sooner. Take care and all the best for your recovery from surgery. Keep us posted what treatments your Dr. recommends. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Not a doctor here, but I agree with your interpretation.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008