Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tarheelgirlttarheelgirl Posts: 473
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Pain Medications
I'm so puzzled by this...My most WONDRFUL little country doctor did something wierd today. Just for history, I had been on Kadian 100mg twice daily for about a year, but the copay with new insurance was $250 copay. So scrap that, although I had good pain coverage. Then I went to MS contin which in the past hasn't worked well and did not this time either. So I asked for ooxycontin again bc that has helped in the past. So he started me out on 40mg three times daily b/c I REALLY do need the mid day dosage. And then I was on oxycodone 20mg IR for breakthru.

So, I caled today to talk to him (have appt next week), but I had to tel him my pain is not controlled yet. I asked for increase to the 60mg. He agreed right away, buty when my hubby picked up my Rx's, he wrote 60mg twice daily!!!! That is no change in dosage! What he did do is up the oxycodone breakthru from every 6 hours to every 4 hours. I'm not sure why??? Does it make sense?

I also asked abouta a nerve med...and I've been on Topamax in hte past and he said good...after complaining that the ambien isn't working well,he said to take my topamax at bedtime so hopefully it will allow me to sleep. Last time I was on Topa, I took it twice daily, not once. What about any of you who take it...how do you take it??

and lastly, I told him I've seen no benefit from the 10mg prozac he put me on. I don't really want it, but hubby thinks I need it. So he upped it to 20mg. Anyone else on prozac? I know it's an old drug..but hope someone else can shed some light on whether it's worked or not???

• Regarding your medication changes, only he knows why and I would either wait and ask at your appointment next week or call them. If his staff is responsible for calling in medications, a mistake may have been made.

As far as Prozac is concerned, you mention your husband wants you to stay on that. Does he notice a difference in you? Sometimes it takes several tries on different antidepressants to get the right one for you.

Best to you,

• I take my Topamax twice a day, but it doesn't help me sleep at all. Does it make you sleepy?

• I've been on prozac 10 mg (small dose) for about 3 weeks now. We haven't really notice a "pick up" or increased energy, which is what we were going for. I have always hated antidepressants due to the difficulty weaning off them. I finally caved in and decided to try again. Prozac is one of the ones I haven't tried before, so I'm hoping we see a difference. My hubby just hates seeing me suffer and down in the dumps. He's a sweety and a wonderful husband/caretaker.

We went to Walmart and I finally broke down and bought a cane. I even walked around W-mart with it and WOW! it really does relieve some pain from walking...I was impressed. I got just a regular one though and not the quad cane my doctor prescribed for me....I tried those and they just didn't feel right to me.

Well....have a great night everyone and a fab. weekend!!
  • I'v e taken topamax in the past and don't recall the sleepiness. My hubby, though, does get sleepy from it. I know it's best to take it twice daily...it's more therapuetic that way...that's what my neurologist suggested.

Happy....have you lost any weight being on topa? i lost about 40 lbs...over a few months while taking it a couple years ago. I have since found 30 of them again [sigh, sigh, sigh]. I hope I can shed a few this time too. We'll see, with my hormone levels all screwed up, I don't think starving would help me loose weight. Darn hormones!!
  • I get sleepy spells, but they are more like days at a time than based on when I take my pills. I just get so tired I sleep all the time for a few days and can't do much.

Yes, I've lost some weight. But I don't think it's good weight loss. I've been under so much stress, and the Topamax makes me forget to eat. I did need to lose weight, though, so I guess it's good. About 25 lbs.

I've always had to be on an antidepressant- I tried Prozac, but the SNRIs have always worked better for me. Hopefully it perks you up a bit!
  • It is all about finding your "formula" For me flexeril and soma are not good. They make me so sleepy and wiped out. Skelaxin and Robaxin are no problem. The good thing is and others jump in..... narcotics do not do anything to me other than take the pain away. And my theory is that people who are in true pain and chronic pain respond in different ways than people who use narcotics for fun.

To me in my mind the meds take the pain away and give me nothing left over. Feel normal and nothing else..... I am 39 married and have three boys 6, 4.5 and 2. So taking the kids to six flags or swimming make me a normal guy. Before I paid dearly for a day like that and that and now look forward to outings.

• ...you are still in your 30's like me and have young kids like I do. I feel so bad not being able to take my kids to theme parks and such...I can't walk that much anymore. I guess we could use a wheelchair, but I'm ha ving issues using a cane right now! Anyway, are you disabled? just curious. I have my ALJ hearing cmming up ONE WEEK from today!! I'm quite nervous and have to believe I'll get it this time...but my age is what is keeping me back. My attornies said my medical evidence was so good I should have had it the first try, but my age is a hinderence. Oh well, I was just wondering if you had SSD at your age.

Thanks everyone for all your responses! My meds are working pretty well for me right now.
  • Just want to wish you good luck with your ssdi hearing.
    I seen you got a cane, doctor gave you a prescription for it, give script to your ins. carrier and get reimbursed your money.
    I am work comp. and they paid for my cane.

best of luck.
  • my insurance will not pay for my cane. He wrote me the script 'hoping' they'd pay, but they denied it. I'm glad it was just $11. Of course I got a regular cane and not a quad cane that he prescribed. For some reason, I felt more stable with the regular one.

And thanks for the well wishes toward my hearing. I'm getting so nervous. I certainly am dwelling on it too much. Today, I reclined in bed about all day and couldn't stop thinking about it. I have no idea what the judge will ask me and what he will be looking for. My attornies sent me two "mock" hearings on dvd and I've watched them a couple times each. They say that 90% of the judge's decision is from the medical records and avbout 5% comes from my testimony. Can't remember the other 5%? Anyway...I'm just quite nervous.
  • Just wanted to jump in about the amusement park thing. We went to Holiday World this year and I rented a scooter thing. It was awesome, when I wanted to walk my hubby would ride the scooter. I didn't want to walk much but I did want to walk some. I guess it was kind of like the hover round. I think most parks rent them now. Anyway if your ever in Indiana during the summer Holiday World is the place to go. 3 of the worlds best coasters (I can't ride but the kids love them), free pepsi products, and an awesome water park that even I could enjoy in my limited capacity.
  • i just LOVE roller coasters...it comepletely saddens me not to be able to ride them again! I'm glad you found a way to 'scoot' around and have a good vacation day!!
  • I use to be a "Roller Coaster Junkie"... !!! I loved them, rode them over and over again - ... - and like you Tarheel, sniff...no more! I thought I could ride the more 'modern' ones since their ride is so smooth. Well, yeah, still smooth as all get out, but the "G's" got me! Oh well, it was worth the hurt that time!!!

We went to "Lion Country Safari" and there is of course the drive through (really neat by the way) in the Safari with all manner of wild animals, and too my favs...Lions, Tigers, Monkeys etc. The other half of the park is like 3/4 of a mile around with feeding different animals, displays etc. They tried to get me to 'rent' a wheel chair (I was using my leopard pattern cane), I refused. Walked the park, yeah hurting a bit at the end, but worth it. We went back to their office so my hubby could walk the 1/2 back to the RV park, get the RV, and pick me up.

Here is were my faith in other peopled zoomed. They took one of their Safari cars and drove us over to the camp - no charge!!! I thought that was such a great expression of compassion! In South Florida you don't see that much. This whole mini vacation was full of such stories of kind and caring people. And like someone else said on here, my answer to why I walked with a cane, "I have upper and lower spine issues"..questions stopped! Vs... Bad back, yeah my Uncle Pete has.... Well you all know the rest of the story that would have come about dear old Uncle Pete! (G) Still smiling over that little RV test trip!! Oh...it gets a passing grade! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I haven't opted for the wheelchair yet. I did Universal Studios most recently, and that place is really the worst. Seriously- do NOT go there. The lines are basically melee brawls to see who can knock over the lady with the bad back to get to the front. NOT fun.

Disneyland is much better. Organized, controlled chaos :)

Since sitting is harder than walking for me, a wheelchair has never seemed like a great idea to me. A scooter would be OK, though.
  • HB,

So far I have been able to 'opt out' of using one as well. It was hard enough 'mentally' for me to use a cane in public - and it hasn't turned out too bad so far. :)

As for the scooters and such, hubby is pushing more and more of late - especially when we go shopping. I would be bent over in pain within about 15 minutes, and the time lapses between my 'bend over - get a break' gets smaller and smaller. With the cane I actually can walk a while before the 'beast' kicks back in.

Sitting isn't super bad (most times), it is getting into the sitting position that gets me the worst. I am now catching myself 'grunting' when I try to sit, or get up. Sucksssss..... :)

We also go to places 'off season' so there aren't as many kids around. Don't know what my reaction would be if one pulled the cane out for 'funnies', or knocked it out from under me by mistake. I would go from '0 to 60' pretty fast if you know what I mean. (G)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.