Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is unusual to still have leg pain 9 days post up double ALIF?

BorderlessBBorderless Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all. I had my 2 level ALIF on 8/17. I'm home now and actually went to my first PT session today. I'm healing up nicely but noticed some leg pain. In my previous discectomy the leg pain was goins right away. Is it unusual that I still have it?

• No its not unusual. Its gonna take some time for everything to settle down.

• Hang in there! I had leg pain for several months after my 360. It usually depends on how long your nerve was compressed before surgery. The longer the nerve is trapped the longer it usually takes for it to heal.

9 days is so very in your recovery. Besure to talk with your surgeon and your PT!

Wishing you the best!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Healing takes quite a while. First, they may have moved nerves around during the surgery so that will cause increased pain and sometimes even some new pain. Second, the tissues around the surgical area can be inf lammed at surgery and as you heal. I've had changing nerve pain over the 6 months since my surgery. I just saw my spine doc and showed him a new area in my groin where I had sudden numbness. He said it was completely normal as my activity increased and tissues move around. What he's told me is to watch for improvement and positive changes, but if anything is severe to come back immediately. For example, if I had foot drop on one leg suddenly I'd have to get in to see him exactly since that needs to be addressed immediately.

My Pain Management doctor has kept me on Neurontin (I get the generic gabapentin) for nerve pain and I know this has helped a lot. I had asked for is pre-surgically knowing I could have new nerve pain after surgery.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos