Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chest size = neck pain? For the ladies

charryccharry Posts: 5,657
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have reverse lordosis in the curve of my neck and I have C6-C7 with nerve impingement and left lateral(elbow) pain and numbness in my fingers at times. I'm a DDD size. I wonder if chest size has anything to do with it, posture etc?
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• Nice to see you're using your 'regular' avatar again - love that one! :)

From flying helicopters over the years wearing helmets and night vision goggles, my 'neck' posture was horrible - lost lordosis.

Now with that visual. My sister is umm endowed there, and she gets pain, but more in the mid thoracic and upper lumbar. Never heard her complain about her neck bothering her. A woman at my former job, very much endowed, upper lumbar pain constantly. On another endowed type at work, upper lumbar and lower thoracic - none of them had neck pain. When I think of the posture I see of these ladies, I don't see how they would have neck pain, but easily see the mid and lower back pain. Hope that helps.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • my cousin is well endowed as well ,has complained from time to time of upper back pain but not neck pain.
  • Interesting questions. Way back when my neck problems were first diagnosed, it was noted that my cervical spine did not have the natural curvature it was supposed to have and instead is straight up and down. Many years later after my C5/C6/C7 surgery, I was still suffering a lot of pain in that area and in discussion with my Primary care doctor, the size of my breasts was raised (I am a "C" so not as well endowed as others) as a possible explanation for the continued pain. We never delved further into the possibility that the extra weight there was causing my problems, but it did make me realize that I needed to be sure and have the proper support in my undergarments as well as maintain good posture. My neurosurgeon, physical therapist and pain management doctor have never suggested that breast reduction would help me, but it stands to reason that back issues could result from being well endowed along with poor posture.
    Good food for thought.
  • Charry,

Absolutely breast size/weight is a factor on pain !
    Mid-Back/Shoulders most common and can contribute to thoracic outlet, peripheral nerve and vascular problems with shoulder straps deeply grooving shoulder muscle/anatomy.

Five years ago my Pain Management Dr. (anethesthitist who did my mid the lower back injections) suggested to me to consider doing breast reduction to alleviate chronic shoulder pain and lessen back issues.

Anyone over 38D, closer to 40 and up would say amen to this ! I'm a candidate for breast reduction surgery and in fact it will be my next surgery following the peripheral nerve / ligament surgery in left arm/hand.

And it becomes yet even more of a priority because of C-5/6/7 into T-1/2 surgery severe DDD osteophytes causing bilateral nerve compression and it will be unlikely I'll have the horrendous anterior and posterior surgeries.

• so i am a young woman.. 34... i have had back neck pain all my life.. i had back surgery in 2009 and neck surg in 2010 (dec) i have reinjured my same disc i had neck surgery on.. i have large breast.. i am a big boned girl.. i have been a 36-40 ddd for 20 years and bigger when i was breast feeding. i want to know if anyone had breast reduction with neck problems and feel relief... i am waiting for ins approval to have breast reduction but same time i am scared i will miss being as big as i am. i also am out of work because of my neck pain.. it sucks.. anyone with any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.. thanks.. mj
  • I haven't had reduction surgery yet but sure am thinking about it at my age,MJ.. I'm 51 now and feel very heavy on top about your size. I'm going to wait a little while longer and see how it goes for my neck and swear it affects my whole spine!

Saw your Private message to me now I know it's you.

MJ please make a welcome post so others can see and meet you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN