Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 weeks post op

cmhicksccmhicks Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi I am about 5 weeks post op tomorrow and just have a few questions. I am starting to recover extremely well now. It took a little bit for me and those first 3 weeks were horrible but its getting better now. I am just wondering if there are going to be any surprises I should be aware of along the way now. Like a sudden surge of pain, or when the brace comes off in 2 months will it cause any symptoms? Also is it the actual hardware I feel that is causing most of the discomfort now or is it just the bone healing from the hardware going in? It just feels different from anything I am used to but I know there is nothing wrong in there. The incisions look really good too so I know that healed nicely. It seems to be getting harder for me to sleep good at night lately though and that wasnt an issue until just the last week or 2. I went from taking 2-5/325 oxycodone and 1-5mg valium on a strict schedule to only 1 5/325 oxycodone as needed, could that be why, am I not taking enough meds to keep me as comfortable? I also got over the depression thing!! I just dont want to be a pain and call the dr for all these little things that I didnt think to ask before but found this and know someone has had these same experiences before!!

• I am just over 6 weeks post double fusion. From my experience, feeling better is a double edged sword! You feel better and want to do more, but you have to be careful! I am struggling really bad to stay slow on getting back to my routine. Got a big lecture from my doc last week that I have to slow down, or else! He is the best doctor I have ever had and totally understands me and my feelings. One of my biggest issues is not being able to do everything for myself and not being able to do what I want when I want! Taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back is really frustrating.

As far as sleeping, I am going through the same thing. I was feeling pretty good so cut down on my meds and had a terrible time sleeping. My doc does not want me cutting down at night just yet. I take 1-2 percocet 5/500 and 1 10 mg flexeril at night.

As far as the hardware, good question. I was wondering the same thing. I get some stabbing/burning sensations and get nervous something is going wrong!

Good luck and keep pushing forward!
  • Hello cmhicks and ballmom. I am one month post op double fusion. I can totally relate to what you were saying ballmom about feeling good and doing too much. I want to use the treadmill and everyone is saying no, it is too soon. I have cut down on my percocet, I am taking one tablet twice a day.
    Cmhicks, I am still sleeping pretty good at night, I wake up a few times to change positions but then fall right asleep. I did go to Big Lots, and I got a memory foam mattress topper for my side of the bed. It is really comfortable.
    I am also waiting for the surprises you mentioned too. I read about people having sudden problems months after feeling great. Hopefully that will not happen to us. I am not wearing a brace, but I wear a bone stimulator 2 hrs every day. My physical therapy starts Thursday, I walk 1 mile every day.
    I wish you both the best during your recovery.