Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck muscle spasms from straightened neck

amyabaamyab Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi, my name is Amy, and I am new to this site.

I was diagnosed with a "straight neck" and muscle spasms from that about a month and a half ago. I have been going to physical therapy for about a month (all that insurance will cover) and it has helped somewhat. It hasn't helped tremendously but it did some, and then three nights ago, I was in a lot of pain. I called my doc on call 'cause it was so bad. He sent me to the ER and they gave me Vicodin, and then today I went to the physicians assistant in his practice who gave me Prednisone, ordered a MRI of my neck and recommended spinal decomperession. I went to a different chiropractor for one visit whose office said over the phone that said they had spinal decompression but then once there they said they didn't offer that. I am going to try to get to the one that the physician's assistant recommended.

I would like to go to massage too but if I have to pay out of pocket if my insurance doesn't cover then I won't be able to. I can only afford so much.

What has helped others with "straight neck" and muscle spasms? I am not looking for medical advice just experiences and what has helped others. I hope that is okay.

• Welcome to Spine-Health!! You might find more answers to your question if you use the search box at the top of this web page. :)

As for 'straight neck', it is called "lack of lordosis" or "curve" = straight neck. I've had the jet straight neck for almost 20 years! What worked well for me was gentle stretching and head rotations. To picture it, I would take my hand over the top of my head until I was touching my ear. I would then *gently* pull my head towards that arms shoulder. Then I would do it the other side. I started with just a few, and increased over time. I would also tilt my head gently fore and aft, and then gentle head rotations.

I also included heat and ice. Up until a few years ago, I had no bothersome disk issues, and incorporated some chiropractic care in there for manipulation to loosen my neck up as well. I hope that helps. Again, welcome to the site!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Welcome to Spine Health Amy,

Sorry that your in pain. It is not fun.

Did you get the results from the MRI?

Did the PA- reffer specifically to non-surgical spinal decompression (traction)? For me that was attempted in PT. My insurance doesn't pay for Chiros to do anything but manipulations and I don't let them do that any more.

Be very careful with the Chiro. I hope the steroids help. They are a good place to start?

Good luck,

• Hi Amy.....I had the exact same diagnosis (lack of curve in my spine). My family doctor discovered it in an xray 10 years ago when I was in when severe pain in my right shoulder blade and arm. After a lot of PT and no relief, my physical therapist suggested we try traction. Oh my gosh, it was like someone flipped a light switch and I was so much better within hours. It loosened me up just enough to release pressure on a nerve that had been compressed for months. Wished I had tried it sooner. I would definitely go with the treatment from a reputable physical therapy group if it were me. I know a lot of people trust and use chiropractors, but I never went that route and it was never suggested to me either.

Good luck to you.
  • Anyone have luck of getting corrected without surgery?
    Dani Rae
This discussion has been closed.