Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

electric shock sensation-any ideas?

ballmombballmom Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am 7 weeks post TLIF L4-S1 with hardware and soft stabilization L3-4. My recovery has been pretty good. 3 days ago I was sitting and all of a sudden I got an electric shock sensation in the center of my left buttock that made me literally jump! Got another one a few minutes later. Since then, have had several episodes a day. No warning signs, no radiation, no residual pain, just a "zap" that is very painful. Not sure if it is nerve waking up or what? Getting kind of concerned. Has anyone else experienced this or have any thoughts? I have been sitting a lot more recently as I have gone back to work. Hope that hasn't done damage!

• I have experienced that type of "fun" sensation from nerves that were irritated by one thing or another. I've also experienced it from nerves that were in the process of trying to heal.

Your surgeon should be able to give you a better explanation based upon your specific case. You are still real early in the healing phase and it's real common for someone to experience all kinds of strange sensations as things get used to the new normal in their recently repaired spine.

If you aren't already doing so, I really recommend keeping a recovery log/pain diary. It can highlight trends that aren't really noticeable on a day to day basis.

• I have had the same experience.For me it was on my spine,it definetly makes you stop and take notice hurts like hell.I asked my surgen about it but he had no idea,so I asked to get PT I figured it must be weak muscles .For me that did the trick for that electric shock feeling.I wish you well.