Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi everyone!

WannabepainfreeWWannabepainfree Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in New Member Introductions
I am a newbie to this forum but alas back pain has been part of my life for 25 years now. I have developed a high pain tolerance and always have had the mind set that I need to get things done no matter what...until 7 months ago when the pain became just too much. Ended up in ER and had series of test done. 2 months later I was starting the process for a spinal fusion of L4-L5. So on Sept 28th I checked into hospital and came out 3 days later a changed woman and one who was (is) in alot of pain.
Now not so sure what I've done...did I do the right thing? Should I have just tried to live with the pain? Should I have tried more options? Nothing seemed to work for me. The pain meds, the injections...
I do find myself getting depressed and frustrated with the amount of pain involved in this. Hoping I can get some support and maybe some new friends and we can work through this together! Thanks for reading!

• Wanna,

Welcome to Spine Health!!! Pending fusion (L2/3/4) here, but have 2 fusions with more to come in the cervical spine. Sorry you had to find yourself here, but you will find tons of us with all manner of spine and nerve issues - so we understand!!! *HUG*

As to "should I have, shouldn't I have"... I think in some ways we all ask that very question. Pain long term does sadly translate to depression as it is very hard to make those around us understand, and too trying to keep a "happy face" is a tough road to travel.

You will find that some of us (I am one of em) use humor to keep some of the pain down. My joke (for me) is it is a constant fight between the cervical, thoracic and lumbar as to "who" can be the pain champ each day!!! Welcome aboard!! Gentle support *HUGZ* to ya!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Sorry to hear you're still having pain. I know fusion is to stabilize your spine and stop compression for your nerves. I hope one day you'll get some pain relief. Are you seeing a pain management Dr. now to help? Take care and know others here can share who've had surgery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Welcome to Spine Health. You are so very early in your recovery from surgery, it is not at all surprising that you would still have pain. It takes time to heal from a fusion and on top of it you said you've been hurting for 25 years, that's usually not something that we hear about "going away" magically after surgery. It takes time to heal. That's the frustrating part.

Obviously you made it to the point where surgery became a viable option for you to try. None of us ever really know for certain what the outcome is going to be. We normally weigh the risks and look at what life is like for us prior to surgery and for most, it's a lack of life that is found. Try not to second guess yourself. I know that that is easier said than done, but you made a decision based on what you were experiencing at the time and the advice you were receiving. You made the choice you felt was best at the time.

I have had times where I allowed myself to start to second guess my decision to have surgery. Especially after things didn't quite work out as planned. I made myself think back as to how I felt when I made the decision and whether or not I did what I felt I needed to. I have no regrets and still knowing what I know now, I would make the same decision and follow the same path.

Give yourself some time. However if you feel as if things just"aren't right", contact your surgeon and find out what is going on.

• hiya >:D< welcome to spine health. Sorry that your still in pain, i know it can be frustrating ~X( I have to agree with haglandc, if you are not sure , well its worth getting it checked :? You are in the right place here, we all have the pain in common. So you are not alone :) Even if you just want to rant :)

Angie :H
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. I think if you read around the forums, you'll find just how long recovery can be after spine fusion surgery. I'm hoping that in a year you'll be able to say "Wow, I feel great!" It's been said that it takes 6 months to feel better and a year to feel back to normal. Of course, that's just a general statement and certainly varies from person to person.

I have to echo "C" here - you're still very early out from serious spine surgery. I've had a 1-lvl TLIF at L4/5 also (in early Jan 2010) and remember well how much pain there was after surgery and how it seemed to last so long. But like I said, you're really early in your recovery and it's too early to judge whether you've had success or not, especially like "C" said after 25 years of pain.

It's never a bad idea to call your surgeon and talk to him/her if you feel something's not right, but it's really not unusual to have pretty severe pain for the first two or three months. I remember at times my leg pain was so bad that I had to have a walker just to walk and sometimes even that wasn't enough, my hubby had to help - that was much worse that pre-op, but part of the nerve and surgical healing process and it improved with time.

Hang in there, Wannabe. We'll be here to help you get through this tough and time-consuming recovery.

• sorry to here that you are in pain .you are in the right place here to meet people with back problems .i myself am waiting for a ALIF fusion soon
  • yes , can understand your questioning your decision, i think its prob natural response to the major trauma you have so recently gone through. but your so early out from surgery , your bound to be hurting, takes awhile for things to settle down , and gradually you will start to improve. you tried the conservative treatment and that didnt help , so you made the best decision with the knowledge at the time. hoping soon you will start to feel better , pm me if you like, to help if you need to talk , as im also a 30 year sufferer of severe spinal issues and need to have a few fusions ive been putting off
    hoping soon your feeling more comfortable
    flower :)
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. give yourself a little more time to feel better. surgery takes alot out of the body and we all recover at different rates! good luck to you and i hope you are feeling better soon! Jenny :)