Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Water Cooler
I've been thinking about accomodations for a few weeks now. As we go about seeking treatment or continue along with our lives we have to make changes to the way we do things and the way we look at things. I get such JOY from discovering a new way to make my life easier, fuller and less painful. It can be as simple as buying a smaller laundry basket or as big as putting in a home security system with a panic call.

But each thing makes me want to shout out to my fellow spineys. I'm sure all of us have found an accomodation and didn't know who to share the accomplishment with. So maybe we can share those great ideas here. Big or small they are all so special since they address problems that we spineys face every day.

So here goes...

1. Bought a smaller laundry basket so I don't pick up more weight than I should. It's square and holds a little more than half a regular basket. Cost: approx $5

2. Looking into new alarm systems. They have some really cool ones that let you control everything from one panel. Does lights, heat and the alarm itself. Also has wireless remotes that let you call for help. While I'm not anywhere near that (unless you ask my neurologist) I like the idea of having it available.

3. Grocery delivery. I first used this last year when I had my shoulder surgery and carrying bags was out completely. You pick out your groceries online, the pick it and deliver to your door. Usually they will put it just inside too. Cost was $5. I looked into this for my mom and found out that most chain stores have this.

Who's next?

• So glad you brought this up -- I'll be curious to see what others have to say.

I have one thing I did recently -

I used one of those little electric cars at the supermarket - it was great! I had been wanting to do it for weeks, but felt embarrassed because I don't "look disabled". (I read with interest threads here about people agonizing over getting canes, or using disabled parking.) But no-one cares. If it saves you pain - do it! I should however, have asked for help with the checkout and packing - I did most of it myself, so all the pain I was saved by riding the car, I got back packing the groceries. But I'll do that next time. Also - some cars are jerkier than others, so choose your car carefully.
  • Good thread idea there Kris. :)

I bought a TempurPedic adjustable bed with massage. (not cheep)
    Now have an RV so we can travel again. Price - varies
    Same as you for laundry tasks.
    Bought an above ground pool - water is getting too cool to swim in now! Sniff...
    I use Swiffer Sweepers with the micro-cloth so I don't have to re-sweep the floor as you would with a regular broom.
    I also use a Swiffer for mopping - no bending to clean the mop.
    I have a dust pan with the 3' handle so I don't bend to pick up that dirt.
    I do some online shopping with home delivery. Same for prescriptions - I have them mailed to me now.
    I moved my more commonly used items in the refrigerator higher up - less bending.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Great ideas. Who else? I know you are out there...
  • I had to reno the washroom, raised the sink by 10 inches. and the john by 5. This put things at a level where I do not have to bend over to use them. I found the effort, had a major effect on discomfort, and the cycle of injuries. I moved the paper dispenser, so I can reach it without moving. I have the towels close enough that I can

Kitchen sink is the same.

I stand at just under 6 ft, so this little accommodation allows for myself to enjoy simple tasks like personal care, with a little more ease.

My sweetheart is at 5,5 and finds if nice as well.

We both miss this now when we travel or spend a night over at a friends place.
    for the car, I have hand towels rolled and tied with fishing line. That way they stay rolled up and in place. I can move them around as needed. It makes adjusting things really easy.
    I keep a cane in every place that I am. I have 2 at work, one in each car and many at home. I almost always use ones that have a flat handle and I have a strap attached to them, so I can let go to move something, but not lose my "stick". I have had many whom have asked for me to make the little attachment, but it is just a little stitch and knitting work.

• Let's see...

Eliminated Carpeting - No Vacuuming
    Laminate Flooring - Easy Maintain & Swiffer Sweep & Mops

Tip: Save $ - For Swiffer Sweep & Mops - buy multi-colored micro-fiber cloths (4-5 pak) usually square shaped 22-24" square (cut in half twice) 6" square just right for using on Swiffer Sweeper & Swiffer Mops vs. buying their cloths - Reuse

Short & Long-Handled (12" - 36") Nylon Synthetic Dusters - No bend or bad twistin for dusting low and high furniture, lamp tables to high entertainment centers/shelving, etc., window sills, top of draperies (some come in sets with telescoping lengths - QVC shopping network)

Hand's Free Laundry Bag (Over-the-Shoulder) Quilted (Bed-N-Bath Store $9.99) - lightweight & saves hands/shoulders/back on flare-up days

Hand-Assists for those with Neuropathy/Arthritis:
    Waffle Weave Grippers (waffled rubber shelf liner) - cut in 3" to 6" square or rounds for opening: plastic soda bottle caps, opening jar lids, salad dressing bottles, etc.

Kitchen Shears - Use in place of knife to cut food (cooked or uncooked) chicken, steak strips, produce green onions, lettuce, celery, mini-carrotts, etc

Plastic Storage Container 8 X 8 Sq 4" Deep - smaller "dishpan" dish-washing compartment vs. whole sink, keeps control with disability of hand, the square shape controls movement of bowls, the container keeps it one-hand operation, if need be

Waffle Weave Shelf Liner - cut piece to line Sink for Dishwashing, keeps control of items to stay in place with limited strength of hands; rinse & let dry, roll up in between dishwashing.

Mechanic Dolly (Lightweight 12" X 3' with wheels) $12.99 - attach boat-rope with eye screws long enough to pull dolly while walking - - use inside & outside with moving anything bit too heavy or cumbersome, use outside for topsoil / mulch bags from minivan to my garden (handles 40lb. bags very well!); move heavy flower pots, multiple garden tools, outside decor bins of lights, etc.

22" Carryon Luggage w/ wheels - get several things to outside, from the house to car, from garage to house, wheels up & down stairs, zip it up with several things inside - - no dropping - - easy wheel wherever you need it!

Groceries into the House: Lightweight Med. Size Fabric Wheeled Cart - use for multiple bags of groceries & Lightweight Cooler -use for multiple bags of frozen foods; up stairs works great too!

Love to hear more!! :)

• I have a hard time putting on a duvet cover after washing. I now lay in the bed and put the cover on the duvet or comforter using my whole body to put it on.

I gradually fill up the washer little bits at a time then when it's full turn it on. If it needs a separate wash for darks I leave those downstairs to do a separate wash as I can't carry down a laundry basket down the stairs or anything without holding the rail. My husband brings the clothes up so I can fold them sitting on the couch or he does the folding. I leave towels in the spare room beside the bathroom instead of up in the linen closet.

The most important renovation I made was having a professional shower bar put in when I was first injured. Coming out of the tub I put a towel on the ledge and stay bent over low to the ground and get out of the tub/shower as it's slippery on the ledge of tub. I also got a high toilet chair height put in.

When I got new windows in the house they were all able to slide in so you can clean the outside of the window from the inside and never have to clean from the outside.

I got a long narrow vacuum attachment to clean cobwebs or dust from the ceilings and reach under couches.

Will be watching for more tips. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I love you guys!!!

Have I told you that lately?? Ok what else? Big or small we need them all.....

Oh I had one tonight. My supermarket was just renovated. They bought all new shopping carts...but a few are short ones. They are about half the length of a regular one and have a basket that sits up high and one that is near the floor. I love them since I don't have to bend to put stuff in the top and if I have anything heavy like water bottles I can just shift them from the low shelf onto the low basket. Thank you to whoever designed this cart!!
  • Kris, I also like the smaller grocery carts!

I don't have much to add, except that I've hired a housekeeper (only b.c I got my SSD) and they start not this wed, but the next. They will come every other Wed. That's enough for me to dance circles around in my head! Heck, I'm doing cartwheels...hehehe

I do have our hometown pharmacy deliver many of my meds if hubby isn't available to pick them up. Nice feature.

Heating pad permanently plugged into socket beside bed. Cane there too. I also prefer the ones with the straight handle.

My mom is giving me her nice leather recliner, so I will be making room in my room for it...oh, I can't wait to sit reclined rather than sitting in this darn bed reclined by all my pillows!
  • Okay... have another one for you all - - it's somethin I just "invented" !!!

Handy Dandy Comfort Grip for Shopping Cart
    Take a pool noodle, cut it into a 24-26" length (use a knife)

Then make a parallel cut to (half slit the diameter to the center only) from one end to the other end

Place the sliced side onto the hand bar on the shopping cart, pressing firmly from one end the other.

Tip: The smooth round pool noodle is best for comfort vs. the wavy edge.

Enjoy your new Handy Dandy Comfort Hand Bar for your Shopping !!

It's great for hands, larger diameter less strain on your hands, wrist and with amazing turning and movement of your cart control !

Also, great to lean your arms on, comfortable position when getting into those check-out lanes and waiting for your turn to check-out !

When your finished with your cart, remember to pull it off and put into your car for your next shopping cart :)

Great for anyone -- comfortable and great control of moving the cart...

Especially wonderful for we who have arthritis, carpal tunnel, neuropathy in arms and hands !

I also find my arms, shoulders and neck and back do much better with this foam grip handle bar, not straining to push, turn the cart and especially when grocery shopping or large items with a lot of weight in the cart with all those maneuvers - - great ergodynamics for us Spineys.

• Janelle!!

What an AWESOME idea!!! Thank you so much! I'm tall and I'm a real leaner so I usually end up putting my arms to sleep in order to shop with my back. I'm going to see if we can get one of these this week!!

Thank you for a fantastic idea, I'm hoping it helps me as well :)

And now for my lil bit of help! I keep a book about the size of a small phone book (about 2 inches or so tall) in the bathroom. When I'm having heavy duty sciatic pain or when my hip or knee is acting up, I use it under one foot while using the facilites. This seems to be just enough to give me relief as I'm sitting there... because for some reason, sitting there seems to make the pain worse at times.

I find that having something smooth is best, so it doesn't irritate your foot (or feet if it helps for both) or create pulls on your socks if you're like me and live in them!
  • The cart thing can also be done with pipe insulation from a Home Depot or Lowes or other home/construction store. It is already slit and comes in various sizes and is cheap too.

Make sure you don't buy the fancy stuff with the adhesive strip in the split, if the cover comes off the adhesive your insulation will be stuck on the handle!

I only mention this as it will be a bit safer should somebody with limited use of their hands try to slit that pool float noodle.

The insulation is also great for use over handles of brooms, mops, rakes, just about anything. It lets you hold on without really having to squeeze like you normally would.

I have wanted to put a higher sink and john in my master bath for 15 years....time to get off the, well anyway...
  • I've had a dustbuster since I was first married. I hated it but my MIL thought it was the greatest thing ever invented so of course my dear hubby thought so too. Over the summer the thing finally died!!! YEAH!!!

But being the sweet wife that I am I bought a new one. THis time I had a use. I've been trying to keep the bathroom with the litter box under control. So everyday I clear out the box and vacuum up the scattered litter. So now the dust buster gets used every day. And as I go to put it away I usually see a spot or two to hit quick.

This has kept the whole house a bit cleaner and reduces how often I need to take out the big vacuum.
  • I also found it helpful to move my daily clothes to the top drawers of the dresser and essential items in any room, to a window ledge.

• At work I have a back/lumbar/butt & leg massager that also heats up, a foot stool that I can adjust the angle on, and a foam bar that goes in front of my laptop (to support the wrists).

In the bathroom at home I have put in the higher toilet, it helps alot.

In the kitchen I have bought a food proccesser. It decreases the time I have to spend standing up and chopping. I also have a bread machine, I love fresh bread and buns and the bread machine makes it a lot simpler. I also bought a bar stool, so I can sit up higher when cooking.

Right now I am training my dog to help me. He can turn on light switches, and touch lamps. Handy for when the kids turn off all the lights off and I come home to a black house (my switches are across the room from the door, I never know what has been left out that I can trip over). He can help me get up, either from a chair or bed, or if I fall down. I am trying to train him to pick things up for me. I have a grabber, but I never seem to have it with me when I drop something and I can always call Tahoe to me. The other thing is I a teaching him what the phone is, and to go find it. If I ever have a really bad fall he can bring the phone to me.